Windows 10

Caporegime
So that was painless, installed saved everything across and bam Windows 10 installed.

Feels pretty much the same was Windows 8, bar the weird blue icon backgrounds. :/

Soldato
There is no key as such. To do a clean install you need to upgrade Windows to Windows 10 so that your hardware spec gets registered with MS. This validates your existing Windows OS/Key as eligible for the upgrade. Then if you want to do a clean install wipe your hard drive and put Win 10 back on or use the reset my data option to wipe Win 10 back to a base install.

All Win 10 does then to activate is to check your hardware spec against whats recorded on the MS servers. As it matches it then it activates.

That was nice and clearly put. Many thanks for sharing that. Cheers

Soldato
Why would you need the rufus tool? Doesn't the download linked at step 1 do create a bootable USB anyways?
MS tool only works on specific Flash Drives (newer flash drives are reported to the OS as storage & NOT Flash devices). Rufus works on any brand & is way faster/better ;)

Associate
There is no key as such. To do a clean install you need to upgrade Windows to Windows 10 so that your hardware spec gets registered with MS. This validates your existing Windows OS/Key as eligible for the upgrade. Then if you want to do a clean install wipe your hard drive and put Win 10 back on or use the reset my data option to wipe Win 10 back to a base install.

All Win 10 does then to activate is to check your hardware spec against whats recorded on the MS servers. As it matches it then it activates.

That helps clear some things up.

If after doing the upgrade I want to clean install Win 10 but onto a different HDD (already in the system, just being used as a secondary atm), this would be ok?

Associate
I am having some right issues with Windows 10. When I click on the Edge icon on the taskbar it opens the browser but then closes itself. I cant even use the internet. ;)

Oh and when I install W10 using a USB stick and get to the point where you have to move the sliders to no/yes it then reboots and makes me do it all over again.

Associate
I havent got the upgrade notice yet but i have it via my MSDN account. One thing i notice is I was on the insder track and my VM which i was using to test got automatically activated to pro license which indictaes if i never had windows and installed it on second machine i would have gotten it free just by being on the insider build. This happen in two VM's one on virtual box other on VMware

Soldato
Yes but what's wrong with that exactly? As long as you have a genuine key of a previous OS I fail to see the problem.

But MS doesn't know that your key is genuine yet. You have to upgrade before you can clean install.

I suppose MS could have made it so that Windows 10 accepts 7/8/8.1 keys as well as it's own, but would be too much to ask clearly.

Back
Top Bottom