Windows 10

Soldato
Well after hours and hours I have finally managed to get a picture with Windows 10.

The Upgrade function just would not work so I had to do a clean install the problem I have now is an unactivated version of Win 10 which I don't want to go to the trouble of installing and downloadong 100Gb's of games ill no doubt have to do all over again.

Grrrrrr

Last edited:
Soldato
What's everyone's take on this privacy policy change implementing on 1st August?

I find it all a little unsettling personally, I know it's been happening for a while now (advertising ID etc) but to have it cannonised in print that you have to agree makes it all feel like data farming.

What policy?

Also, i hate the fact that it forces you to install updates?

Soldato
So if I upgrade to win10 now, how do I reinstall windows when I get a new mobo and hard drive?

I've seen some posts saying no key as such and it just works on hardware IDs, so what happens when I change my hardware?

I've just found a post on reddit where a guy mentioned he'd asked microsoft about this...

It appears that regardless of whether you have retail or OEM, if you upgrade your motherboard (The key component that your install is tied to) you'll have to reinstall 7 or 8 and upgrade again, you only have to do that once per motherboard change for the identifier to know your hardware, then you can reinstall all you like on that hardware. Now the unfortunate thing is that that will only work for the first year while the free upgrade is available.

It's a brilliant marketing scheme from microsoft, because by releasing it free it makes everyone want it, they get used to it and tied into it. Then a year down the line your average joe will buy a new PC that will come with an OEM install and they're none the wiser, but those of us who build, upgrade and chop and change hardware regularly it leaves us in a bit of a sticky point.

One year down the line when the free upgrade entitlement ends, and we upgrade our hardware, we're going to be forced to purchase it in order to keep it legit.

That's what I'm gathering from my searches into this so far.

Soldato
So the build released today was; 10.0 (10240).

Which has been available to Windows Insiders since the 15th July?

Thanks for confirming this. When I mentioned it was version 10240, someone decided that I must be using a pirated copy of Windows :D

Oh great another Win7 user that can't get past an old ageing OS that is NOT perfect,Aero argument is getting so old now that I wonder how you guys managed before it let alone after.

You want better then 7 but hate the latest Windows well have a look at Linux,end of the day you are probably one of those guys that I think Microsoft will never please,thankfully you are in the minority and yes I like Win8.1 and Win10.

Win7 I ditched years ago so nothing great or special about that OS.

Good luck when Win7 comes to EOL ,you are going to need.

:rolleyes:

Actually I think most users here would agree that Windows 7 has been one of Microsoft's best OS to date. The all-in-one approach for 8.0 and beyond is annoying at the least and cumbersome at worse.

When doing the same task takes longer/more clicks on a new OS compared to an old one then something isn't right. At least with OSX/iOS there is a distinction between being on a desktop/laptop and on an iOS device...which is where Microsoft has gone wrong!

If you have a touchscreen it might be fine, but for power hungry PC users, like on this forum, an all-in-one approach doesn't work! Shame there is no feasible alternative. :rolleyes:

For those asking, Steam is working fine here. Grid Autosport has failed to launch by pcars works! This is using NVIDIAs latest drivers on a 980Ti.

Soldato
Upgraded from 8.1 to 10, all went pretty well, from what I can tell anyway.

The only issue so far is my soundcard isn't working, I forgot how rubbish Creative were on drivers but it seems I have found a set that work.

Really like Win 10 so far I must say.

Which card is it? I have the Z and I'm a bit nervous it won't work when I upgrade.

Soldato
Found this, can't say I'm happy hope I'm interpreting it wrong..

Microsoft said:
Q: What happens if I change the hardware configuration of my Windows 10 device?
A: If the hardware configuration of your Windows 10 device changes significantly (e.g. motherboard change) Windows may require re-activation on the device. This is the same experience as prior versions of Windows (e.g. Windows 7 and Windows 8.1). The free upgrade offer will not apply to activation of Windows 10 in such scenarios where hardware changes reset Activation.

So when I change my mobo next year I have to buy another copy of windows? Erm... that seems a bit crap.. will I still have my win7 key at the very least, or is that gone forever?

Soldato

So when I change my mobo next year I have to buy another copy of windows? Erm... that seems a bit crap.. will I still have my win7 key at the very least, or is that gone forever?

if this is the case you can just install your previous OS like windows 7 or 8.1

Associate
If i use the ISO tool to create a USB bootable stick, can i use the upgrade option or is that for clean installs only? My upgrade has been failing, and everytime i retry i have to redownload the update. Would save me time if i could just create the stick once then retry using that

Soldato
I've just found a post on reddit where a guy mentioned he'd asked microsoft about this...

It appears that regardless of whether you have retail or OEM, if you upgrade your motherboard (The key component that your install is tied to) you'll have to reinstall 7 or 8 and upgrade again, you only have to do that once per motherboard change for the identifier to know your hardware, then you can reinstall all you like on that hardware. Now the unfortunate thing is that that will only work for the first year while the free upgrade is available.

It's a brilliant marketing scheme from microsoft, because by releasing it free it makes everyone want it, they get used to it and tied into it. Then a year down the line your average joe will buy a new PC that will come with an OEM install and they're none the wiser, but those of us who build, upgrade and chop and change hardware regularly it leaves us in a bit of a sticky point.

One year down the line when the free upgrade entitlement ends, and we upgrade our hardware, we're going to be forced to purchase it in order to keep it legit.

That's what I'm gathering from my searches into this so far.

Cheers man, just found something similar to that. Really not happy at having to spend £100+ just for an OS I already own, atleast I get to keep my win7 key I guess but damn that's annoying this will cut into my upgrade budget.

Soldato

It does seem to be very strange. I have Windows 8.1 pro retail and upgrading to Windows 10 in affect turns my new OS into an OEM? Doesnt seem very fair

Associate
Why are people still asking about having to use their W7/8 key to upgrade or clean installs?

1 - It really is quite simple, if you haven't got W10 already then download from here W10 Download - you don't need to input any key, W10 will automatically find the key if you older windowws copy is genuine.

2 - If you want to do a clean install you HAVE to follow above and then go to recovery/refresh and reinstall it from there. Again you don't need your key, just skip past the key activation a couple of times and when it gets to desktop it will have been activated from your previous key.

3- The key is then affiliated with your hardware, most likely mobo only and if you upgrade your mobo then you have until 29th July 2016 to reuse your previous W7/8 key in order to follow steps 1 and 2 again though you will probably have to call the MS activation phone number but that process is straight forward.

4 - Point 3 becomes invalid after 29/07/16 and as far as I can see you will have to pay for W10 on new builds if using a new motherboard. In one of my earlier posts I said this was likely the business model MS were using and the internet seems to be confirming this. Naughty on MS part but they still want our money and clearly had the plan to do so from the off.

If anyone can add any more value to this please do but it's more a case of people not reading through the last 4/5 pages of the thread

Soldato

When you say "another" copy of windows do you mean because you purchased 7 or 8 in the past?

It appears that the free upgrade isn't all it was hyped up to be. The free upgrade is more like a "Trial for the life of your existing hardware" than anything else, and nothing more. Then you have to buy 10 retail, once you've purchased windows 10 retail you then own it forever across any hardware.

Cheers man, just found something similar to that. Really not happy at having to spend £100+ just for an OS I already own, atleast I get to keep my win7 key I guess but damn that's annoying this will cut into my upgrade budget.

:D Replies are so quick in this thread that every time i post another 5-6 have appeared haha

Soldato
If i use the ISO tool to create a USB bootable stick, can i use the upgrade option or is that for clean installs only? My upgrade has been failing, and everytime i retry i have to redownload the update. Would save me time if i could just create the stick once then retry using that

You can run the setup from the bootable USB from within your current OS to do an upgrade

Back
Top Bottom