Windows 10

Associate
Yes this FREE upgrade is not so free after all. It consumes your RETAIL key that you can transfer to any other new system and gives you an OEM locked to hardware

I am pretty sure the page that got posted a few pages back says Retail keys get retails w10 keys.. its transferable if you upgrade your main board.. you will just have to call up to activate

Soldato
Yes this FREE upgrade is not so free after all. It consumes your RETAIL key that you can transfer to any other new system and gives you an OEM locked to hardware

No idea as to accuracy, but found this -

Q. If I purchased my copy of Windows 7 or 8/8.1 as a retail license from either a brick-and-mortar store or an online store, then I upgrade to Windows 10, can I transfer that upgrade to a new computer under the retail licensing?

A. YES

Source: http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/...on-faq-we-figured-out-who-pays-and-who-doesnt

Soldato
Thanks for confirming this. When I mentioned it was version 10240, someone decided that I must be using a pirated copy of Windows :D

Actually I think most users here would agree that Windows 7 has been one of Microsoft's best OS to date. The all-in-one approach for 8.0 and beyond is annoying at the least and cumbersome at worse.

Some say 2K or WinXP, some say Win98SE,how far you want to go back,personally no one single OS is best ,only WinME was the worst IMHO.

I would not say 7 was the best, just a rehash tweak of Vista,not saying I hated Vista or 7 which I did not.

I could also make a valid argument if you want a great pure desktop OS , have a look at some Linux distros since they do a lot of things better then what you see in Win7 etc...

What some Win7 users have to get use to is the pure desktop OS is dead as far as Microsoft is concerned ,we are now dealing we multiple types of hardware and Win8/10 cater for these that an old Win7 desktop OS could not do,so get over it and Aero and move forward.

Last edited:
Soldato
erm it seems that my old Windows 8 key that I bought in 2012 is now not allowing me to activate a fresh windows install.

I have not used this to upgrade to Windows 10 yet. I think these changes with windows 10 key activations have affected windows 8 keys somehow and not in a good way....

Screenshot%202015-07-29%2014.44.34.png

Entering my key which has always worked with a clean windows 8 install..... hasnt worked now.

Screenshot%202015-07-29%2014.42.10.png

Associate
erm it seems that my old Windows 8 key that I bought in 2012 is now not allowing me to activate a fresh windows install.

I have not used this to upgrade to Windows 10 yet. I think these changes with windows 10 key activations have affected windows 8 keys somehow and not in a good way....

Screenshot%202015-07-29%2014.44.34.png

Entering my key which has always worked with a clean windows 8 install..... hasnt worked now.

Screenshot%202015-07-29%2014.42.10.png

I cant see your pics at work but have you called up to activate? I have reinstalled windows 8.1 twice with my windows 8 key and it always fails online authentication.. call the automated line and it activates no problem.

Permabanned

[img/]https://www.dropbox.com/s/6j9i9btzgrdoumx/Screenshot 2015-07-29 14.44.34.png?dl=1[/img]

[img/]https://www.dropbox.com/s/kx85x816rl5hpx2/Screenshot 2015-07-29 14.42.10.png?dl=1[/img]

Install Windows 8 with your key in the email, then Windows 8.1 (with phone activation) then upgrade to Windows 10. After that it should allow you to do clean installs with the Windows 10 ISO (Which should activate itself without a key).

Soldato
The price indicates to me that it was an upgrade version...? My windows 7 was an upgrade version and similarly priced. The way to do a clean install there was to do an install of windows 7, then re-install windows 7 on top of itself again, making it think you were upgrading an existing OS. IIRC, it was also possible to make it think his through a few CMD entries. Perhaps same thing for 8?

Soldato
it doesn't give me an activation key to call up in the first place. When I enter my key it says code error: The software licensing service determined that this spedicied product key can only be used for upgrading, not for clean installs.

So I cannot even do the phone activation

Soldato
How in God's name do I get Cortana to work. It says that I need to make sure all the language, speech and region settings are set to the same location but it still wont allow me to activate it.

Dont its useless. I have it on my phone and you have to speak v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y for it to recognise stuff like What is the Weather like.

"Sorry I can not understand you"....

Associate
It gets worse

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to”, for example, “protect their customers” or “enforce the terms governing
the use of the services”.

https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/

Soldato
So to clarify, if you purchased a physical media copy of 7/8 and update to 10 and then change your hardware in the future, how will you go about retrieving an installation key when you want to do a fresh install of 10? presumably the 7/8 key will be defunct at that stage :confused:

Back
Top Bottom