Windows 10

Soldato
So to clarify, if you purchased a physical media copy of 7/8 and update to 10 and then change your hardware in the future, how will you go about retrieving an installation key when you want to do a fresh install of 10? presumably the 7/8 key will be defunct at that stage :confused:

in the first 12 months you can get it activated by MS support team, after 12 months you have to buy a new license

Caporegime
Can anybody give me the golden reason I should nuke my perfectly good Win 7 x64 install and go through the faff of reinstalling all of my programs (those that'll still work I assume) and games in Win 10 or isn't there one yet?

Soldato
When you say "another" copy of windows do you mean because you purchased 7 or 8 in the past?

It appears that the free upgrade isn't all it was hyped up to be. The free upgrade is more like a "Trial for the life of your existing hardware" than anything else, and nothing more. Then you have to buy 10 retail, once you've purchased windows 10 retail you then own it forever across any hardware.

:D Replies are so quick in this thread that every time i post another 5-6 have appeared haha

Yeah man, everything's hectic.. looks like I'll do the upgrade, only choice really, think I better cut this product key out of my system as god knows where the physical media is... pffft. cheers for replying anyway :D

Man of Honour
Why are people still asking about having to use their W7/8 key to upgrade or clean installs?

1 - It really is quite simple, if you haven't got W10 already then download from here W10 Download - you don't need to input any key, W10 will automatically find the key if you older windowws copy is genuine.

2 - If you want to do a clean install you HAVE to follow above and then go to recovery/refresh and reinstall it from there. Again you don't need your key, just skip past the key activation a couple of times and when it gets to desktop it will have been activated from your previous key.

So if step 1 fails during the actual upgrade there then an option for a clean install (recovery) during that step?

It gets worse

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to”, for example, “protect their customers” or “enforce the terms governing
the use of the services”.

https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/

I'm gonna start a thread on this, this thread is more about the OS itself and installation. This'll just get lost.

Soldato
Why are people still asking about having to use their W7/8 key to upgrade or clean installs?

1 - It really is quite simple, if you haven't got W10 already then download from here W10 Download - you don't need to input any key, W10 will automatically find the key if you older windowws copy is genuine.

2 - If you want to do a clean install you HAVE to follow above and then go to recovery/refresh and reinstall it from there. Again you don't need your key, just skip past the key activation a couple of times and when it gets to desktop it will have been activated from your previous key.

3- The key is then affiliated with your hardware, most likely mobo only and if you upgrade your mobo then you have until 29th July 2016 to reuse your previous W7/8 key in order to follow steps 1 and 2 again though you will probably have to call the MS activation phone number but that process is straight forward.

4 - Point 3 becomes invalid after 29/07/16 and as far as I can see you will have to pay for W10 on new builds if using a new motherboard. In one of my earlier posts I said this was likely the business model MS were using and the internet seems to be confirming this. Naughty on MS part but they still want our money and clearly had the plan to do so from the off.

If anyone can add any more value to this please do but it's more a case of people not reading through the last 4/5 pages of the thread

I still don't understand how it works after you've got and activated Windows 10 though.

I now have Windows 10 on both home & work machines, upgraded from Windows 8.1.

Let's say I want to do a clean install, next year, after the 1-year upgrade window closes, what key do I use to reinstall Windows 10? Is the key/license associated with my Live account? Would I need to pull the key off myself?

Soldato

It gets worse

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to”, for example, “protect their customers” or “enforce the terms governing
the use of the services”.

https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/

Little bit sensationalist, this appears during upgrade where you can simply opt out if you don't click on express settings.

Soldato
in the first 12 months you can get it activated by MS support team, after 12 months you have to buy a new license
Oh right... so I'll have to purchase the next time I upgrade anyway then? So this "free upgrade" is literally just a free trial until you change your hardware. It's a bit of a cheek that they effectively take your old key off you for the privilege isn't it?

It's time to stock up now then on an extra copy or two of Windows 7, whilst they're still cheap :D

Soldato
I still don't understand how it works after you've got and activated Windows 10 though.

I now have Windows 10 on both home & work machines, upgraded from Windows 8.1.

Let's say I want to do a clean install, next year, after the 1-year upgrade window closes, what key do I use to reinstall Windows 10? Is the key/license associated with my Live account? Would I need to pull the key off myself?

You have to buy a new license.

Soldato
I reserved Windows 10, but it is yet to download for me.

I tried using wuauclt.exe /updatenow as mentioned earlier in this thread to kickstart it, but it failed after downloading.

Can anyone help?

Back
Top Bottom