Windows 10

Soldato
You have to buy a new license.

Well that sucks. I'd rather pay £20 now for Windows 10 and have a key + installer I can use, just like I did for Windows 10.

So even though I have qualified for, and licensed the free upgrade, if I want to reinstall in a year or two (which I normally do), then I'll need to buy it :confused:

Soldato
Oh right... so I'll have to purchase the next time I upgrade anyway then? So this "free upgrade" is literally just a free trial until you change your hardware. It's a bit of a cheek that they effectively take your old key off you for the privilege isn't it?

It's time to stock up now then on an extra copy or two of Windows 7, whilst they're still cheap :D

No as you can only swap a win 7 key to win 10 license until the 29th July 2016 anyway. After that nobody gets a "free" upgrade.

Associate
I still don't understand how it works after you've got and activated Windows 10 though.

I now have Windows 10 on both home & work machines, upgraded from Windows 8.1.

Let's say I want to do a clean install, next year, after the 1-year upgrade window closes, what key do I use to reinstall Windows 10? Is the key/license associated with my Live account? Would I need to pull the key off myself?

Ive upgraded from Windows 7 pro activated to Windows 10 pro but i cant activate it it shows an error saying Error code: 0xC004F034 im hoping this is just a issue that will get sorted out but im not convinced it will any one have any ideas??

Man of Honour
OP
Hasn't downloaded for me either on HTPC, not that I really care. Laptop and desktop are staying on insider, even though I have valid licenses.

Permabanned
I think I have a solution..... I now have my product key from the Windows 10 install AFTER the upgrade process is complete.

Powershell or Command Prompt

Code:
wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

:D

Last edited:
Soldato
So am I right in understanding the "upgrade" only lasts a year! If so I might stick with Windows 7 anyway and just buy Windows 10 on the cheap. This thread is very active!

Soldato
So am I right in understanding the "upgrade" only lasts a year! If so I might stick with Windows 7 anyway and just buy Windows 10 on the cheap. This thread is very active!

Technically it will last forever, if you don't change your hardware after 1 year. But if you change your hardware and reinstall after the 1 year period I believe you need a new license.

Soldato
You cant upgrade after that date but, i thought that if you did the upgrade now and then in a year or 2 time you wanted to reformat etc then you could Pop Win 10 in and do a clean install ok?

Same. Everything else makes perfect sense, but there doesn't seem to be a solid answer regarding what happens if we want to do a clean install in a year or two (without any hardware changes).

Soldato
Technically it will last forever, if you don't change your hardware after 1 year. But if you change your hardware and reinstall after the 1 year period I believe you need a new license.

I know with previous window OEM it was change the motherboard and you'd have to get a new license so with Windows 10 is it any upgrade after 1 year I need another license?

Caporegime
Wow I've just come back to my PC to install a few bits and bobs and all the things I'm trying say I'm running a 32bit version of Windows 10... Low and behold I check and yes it says 32bit OS on x64 processor.....

Awesome how on earth did that even happen ?!!?

Looks like ill be starting again shortly...

Back
Top Bottom