Windows 10

Soldato
Same. Everything else makes perfect sense, but there doesn't seem to be a solid answer regarding what happens if we want to do a clean install in a year or two (without any hardware changes).

But from what i see after reading here on this thread is that after the upgrade you can then do a fresh install as the product key is then tied to the software. This then means that you can do a clean install anytime as long as you dont change the hardware

Permabanned
Wow I've just come back to my PC to install a few bits and bobs and all the things I'm trying say I'm running a 32bit version of Windows 10... Low and behold I check and yes it says 32bit OS on x64 processor.....

Awesome how on earth did that even happen ?!!?

Looks like ill be starting again shortly...

Try this command to get your product key....

Code:
wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Associate
Wow I've just come back to my PC to install a few bits and bobs and all the things I'm trying say I'm running a 32bit version of Windows 10... Low and behold I check and yes it says 32bit OS on x64 processor.....

Awesome how on earth did that even happen ?!!?

Looks like ill be starting again shortly...

I can't help buy snigger to myself, i'd be so p**d off. Its not as if this is easy *Sigh*

Associate
I asked this a few pages back. If you have a retail cd key you will get a retail windows 10 key. If you have oem windows then you will get oem windows 10 and therefore you can't make motherboard changes in the future.

Soldato
Who's going to be the clever person that works out how to trigger the update process early.

Go here and set it off ;) Make SURE you select upgrade first - don't do a clean install otherwise it won't activate.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I did both my laptop and desktop PC today - they both activated fine. I then re-ran the tool to get the ISO's ready for a fresh install. REALLY easy upgrade from windows 8.1 on both systems - just the touchpad driver needed reinstalling on the laptop.

My test tablet however (which has been running each version of the previews) upgraded itself but refuses to activate - ffs!!

Now the only thing I'm worried about is that I don't have an activation key! - is there a way I can extract it before I start a fresh install?

Last edited:
Associate
Go here and set it off ;) Make SURE you select upgrade first - don't do a clean install otherwise it won't activate.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I did both my laptop and desktop PC today - they both activated fine. I then re-ran the tool to get the ISO's ready for a fresh install. REALLY easy upgrade from windows 8.1 on both systems - just the touchpad driver needed reinstalling on the laptop.

My test tablet however (which has been running each version of the previews) upgraded itself but refuses to activate - ffs!!

Now the only thing I'm worried about is that I don't have an activation key! - is there a way I can extract it before I start a fresh install?

I cannot get mine to activate either.

Soldato
I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 but I'll be having a new motherboard so I'll need to do a format, will I need to install Windows 8.1 again and then wait for an update to Windows 10 or is their a way I can find my current Windows 10 key

Soldato
Well I think you are all mad in here for upgrading on the day of release!!

I wish they would offer an Ubuntu-like "run it as a VM and test it out" - I'm tempted to see what it's like but I don't want the hassle of everything being messed up if it conflicts with any of my existing hardware/software...

Associate
but how many of OCUK forum members don't upgrade their hardware regularly?

Try this command to get your product key....

Code:
wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Alternately you can use this which is hassle free.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/produkey.zip

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 but I'll be having a new motherboard so I'll need to do a format, will I need to install Windows 8.1 again and then wait for an update to Windows 10 or is their a way I can find my current Windows 10 key

The Windows 10 is hardware attached to the motherboard I believe so you will have to purchase a new Windows 10 key.

Soldato
Well I think you are all mad in here for upgrading on the day of release!!

Been running the previews since day one and not had any problems to be honest. Microsoft have done a great job involving the insider preview community for feedback so trust all is in hand.

If anyone finds a way to extract the activation key please post and let us know.

Soldato
I asked this a few pages back. If you have a retail cd key you will get a retail windows 10 key. If you have oem windows then you will get oem windows 10 and therefore you can't make motherboard changes in the future.

What, so if I run nirsoft's key finder or magic jelly bean, then the key there is my own Windows 10 retail key which I can use to reinstall AFTER the upgrade period, i.e. next year?

doh - found it!

You can run the following command in CMD to find the product key associated with your Windows installation:
wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey.

Tis blank for me.

Back
Top Bottom