Windows 10

Associate
doh - found it!

You can run the following command in CMD to find the product key associated with your Windows installation:
wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey.

When i run that it will only say "OA3xOriginalProductKey"

Soldato
The Windows 10 is hardware attached to the motherboard I believe so you will have to purchase a new Windows 10 key.

In the past Microsoft have been pretty reasonable over the phone for things like this - call them up and explain you had to change your motherboard and they usually say "okay, we will unlock your product key to allow it to activate again but once bound to the new hardware it will invalidate the old hardware"....

Been running the previews since day one and not had any problems to be honest. Microsoft have done a great job involving the insider preview community for feedback so trust all is in hand.

Hmmmm I still think I'll wait a few weeks and see if the mass testing uncovers anything awful...

Associate
In the past Microsoft have been pretty reasonable over the phone for things like this - call them up and explain you had to change your motherboard and they usually say "okay, we will unlock your product key to allow it to activate again but once bound to the new hardware it will invalidate the old hardware"....

Hmmmm I still think I'll wait a few weeks and see if the mass testing uncovers anything awful...

I think it's because it's free and as so it's a one time use serial key. Could be mistaken after all M$ have been quiet about the situation.

Soldato
Running that CMD command gives me back the same Win8 key.

Must be the same for Win10, don't forget newer systems register the activation process with the system certificate store rather than requiring keys, so moving forward a full reinstall should just be a case of away it goes.

I'll give it a try on my desktop PC tomorrow - wife will kill me if I bugger up the laptop today! lol

Soldato
Ok, this answers my question about being able to do a clean reinstall AFTER upgrading:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/microsoft-...-free-upgrade-no-product-key-required-1504362

So looks like the copy of Windows activates against the hardware & you won't be asked for a key when you do a clean install using the ISO from the MS website, even if it's a year or two from now.

So, to confirm, as long as you upgrade now from W7/W8/W8.1, it will activate against the hardware. You can then do a clean install whenever you want either using the ISO or the reset function.

Associate
Soldato
Ok, this answers my question about being able to do a clean reinstall AFTER upgrading:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/microsoft-...-free-upgrade-no-product-key-required-1504362

So looks like the copy of Windows activates against the hardware & you won't be asked for a key when you do a clean install using the ISO from the MS website, even if it's a year or two from now.

Yes, thats what everybody has been saying, but if you upgrade your hardware you need a new key (ie have to buy windows 10)

Associate
Mine displays the key used perfectly fine.

When upgrading did you "Keep everything" ? I chose that but once i was in windows i rolled it back to default. Wonder if this could be why?

That's what i did and it still asks me for a product key.

If you have activated windows 10 once then just skip the product key. It will activate when it goes online.

Man of Honour
OP
Yes, thats what everybody has been saying, but if you upgrade your hardware you need a new key (ie have to buy windows 10)

I'm the past it's always been linked to motherboard. as far as I know they haven't said how much the machine id has to change before you can't use it. Also phone activation again in the past has 95% of the time worked without even talking to a person.

They've also said you can roll back to 7/8.1 at any time for any reason.

Man of Honour
This I'm unsure, I'd assume if there's an issue you'd have to restore or reinstall previous version and try again. It's a backwards way to do it but it is what it is I suppose

I'm back to 8.1 and will take a few things out before I try again. A backwards step as this is a pc with the latest hardware and drivers. Last time anything like this went wrong was with win 7.

Soldato
So new motherboard means I'm also going to have to buy a new windows key wtf is that about

What's the cheapest I can get a Windows 10 key for

Back
Top Bottom