Windows 10

Associate
When upgrading did you "Keep everything" ? I chose that but once i was in windows i rolled it back to default. Wonder if this could be why?

If you have activated windows 10 once then just skip the product key. It will activate when it goes online.

Tried that, didn't work.

Soldato
You have to make sure its activated properly after the upgrade. THEN you can perform a clean install. Just waiting for Pro edition ISO to download for my desktop PC then will give it a try.

Soldato
Associate
Just did a update to windows 10 PC downstairs and installation said windows not activated, ! using a boxed DVD version off windows 7 ultimate as well, which is fine when as windows 7 activated etc ! so did a roll back to windows 7 on that PC.

doing a windows 10 update on main PC right now.
using delete folder routine and wuauclt.exe /updatenow whilst check for updates in the control panel.

Associate
Did you force the upgrade, or was if offered? If this post is correct, then it may explain the activation problems people are having.

I looked in windows updates this morning after it downloaded the $Windows Bt folder last night (5.9Gb) and it wanted me to restart the pc so i did that then wehn it booted back up it said failed windows 10 pro update so i did try to get that going again with the CMD trick but still nothing so then i downloaded the upgrade tool from microsoft and it redownloaded everything and worked fine but just get this error now

Soldato
Seems like a lot of people having problems and also the question of needing a new licence if upgrading hardware down the line.

Not sure whether I actually want to install this now...

You would need a new licence - it's worked like that for years with MS, back to XP and maybe even before. Normally it'll activate fine using their automated phone system if you change the motherboard or something that causes it to deactivate.

Soldato
Unbelievable.....

Got the update, ran it pc restarts now stuck at enter bios screen. Nothing works at all, can't even get into the bios...

Soldato
Did you force the upgrade, or was if offered? If this post is correct, then it may explain the activation problems people are having.

Makes me wonder what happens if you obtained your Windows 10 license through the insider preview, then leave the insider preview to get today's build (which is what I did). Does that mean I now have an insider preview Windows 10 activation, which could expire even though I had a valid copy of Windows 8.1 installed that I upgraded from? Hmmm.

So if I was to leave the insider preview now, then clean install, would I lose my activation?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom