Windows 10

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You know what, I'm just gonna stick to 7. DX12 is coming to 7 so that was my only major upgrade reason for 10, but given the teething issues, I cba with that faff.

Unless I build a new system in the near future...

I'm having issues with downloading stuff from the Windows Store. Looked up the error code and have tried all the supposed fixes (clear store cache, etc.) but doesn't seem to help. People are saying that it usually "just works" after some time/rebooting, guess it's just down to current server load or whatever.

I installed just fine, found it a bit weird that I couldn't use my Office 365 account as a Microsoft Account (thought they would have been merged by now), but I've got that all sorted out now.

Just need to go through everything now and configure to my liking,... at first glance it does seem that Microsoft like to track your info a lot :D Guess that's the price you pay for a free upgrade.

Soldato
Makes me wonder what happens if you obtained your Windows 10 license through the insider preview, then leave the insider preview to get today's build (which is what I did). Does that mean I now have an insider preview Windows 10 activation, which could expire even though I had a valid copy of Windows 8.1 installed that I upgraded from? Hmmm.

So if I was to leave the insider preview now, then clean install, would I lose my activation?

As I understand it, if you reset the PC you'll be fine. But if you boot from installation media, format the drive etc - then yes you'll lose activation.

Associate
Well for me the install was a success and a pleasure to sit back and watch.
It just worked, lucky or not. I don't know :)
I suppose it depend on all your components.
The only thing That happened was I thought the video drivers did not install but I rebooted and all was fine. It never told me to reboot though.

Gonna take some getting used too. My forward and back button on my mouse does not work in the picture viewer. And libraries has changed. But I loved learning new stuff :D

Soldato
That must be another issue surely. Windows won't stop you getting into the bios. You could try a bios reset maybe?

In the 2 years that I have had this mobo, it has never happened before. Maybe they are reading some details from the mobo during upgrade, God knows..

Eventually got after resetting and doing a bios recovery.

Just seems awfully coincidental that it only has ever done it during this upgrade..

Possibly my overclock on the processor, but even that is pushing it since I never have had a crash with that either.

Last edited:
Associate
Error code goes back to Windows 8.1 as well and maybe earlier versions. I'm wondering if it is because I'm out of standard online activations, I've had to use the phone system before.

Ive got that code too but only activated it twice, once for the very first time 3 years ago and then the next last week when i formatted ready for windows 10.

Back
Top Bottom