Windows 10

Soldato
But some are following instructions and still issues are arising

A minority in the grand scheme of things - so much different hardware and software configurations there's bound to be minor issues. You wont hear from the thousands who have successfully upgraded on here, only those who are having problems. Its not as bad as some are making out tbh.

Just checked to see my activation code on my desktop PC - getting back that OA3xOriginalProductKey error - even though its showing as activated!

Damn ISO download is only at 11% hurry up! lol

Soldato
As I understand it, if you reset the PC you'll be fine. But if you boot from installation media, format the drive etc - then yes you'll lose activation.

Just confirmed, as long as you went from a valid Windows 7/8/8.1 to the insider preview, you can now leave the insider preview, wait for today's upgrade and you will have a licenced Windows 10 which can be reinstalled at any time either via the bootable ISO or the reset option.

Gabe Aul confirmed all this on the Windows blog:
Windows Insiders running the Windows 10 Insider Preview (Home and Pro editions) with their registered MSA connected to their PC will receive the final release build of Windows 10 starting on July 29th. This will come as just another flight. I’ve gotten a lot of questions from Windows Insiders about how this will work if they clean installed from ISO. As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build. Once you have successfully installed this build, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh. It’s important to note that only people running Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 can upgrade to Windows 10 as part of the free upgrade offer.*

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

I'd happily stay with the insider program if the upgrades didn't basically reinstall Windows 10 every time!

Last edited:
Associate
Error code goes back to Windows 8.1 as well and maybe earlier versions. I'm wondering if it is because I'm out of standard online activations, I've had to use the phone system before.

You can use the smartphone method where you don't have to sit and listen for the long keys.

Caporegime
You know what, I'm just gonna stick to 7. DX12 is coming to 7 so that was my only major upgrade reason for 10, but given the teething issues, I cba with that faff.

Unless I build a new system in the near future...

Me too.

I've been browsing about 10 all day, I'm yet to see anything that gives me the need to nuke my x64 7 install which runs great and have all the faff of a reinstall not to mention I have an old Creative XF-I sound card that will most likely play silly buggers with 10, I'm going to wait and see.

Dual boot with 7 if that's an option maybe but I'm not nuking for now. Don't see the need tbh.

Soldato
You can use the smartphone method where you don't have to sit and listen for the long keys.

Good to know, the standard system is a pain.

Ive got that code too but only activated it twice, once for the very first time 3 years ago and then the next last week when i formatted ready for windows 10.

Seems to imply then that the activation sever is unsurprisingly being hammered today.

Soldato
Ignore that, the reply was to another tweet! was on twitter but his reply was to someone else's question.

Damn! :mad:

If it can be transferred it would be great.

However, my general understanding is that you would need to install windows 7/8.1 again, activate, then upgrade to 10 to get a valid activation on a new motherboard for example.

I hope that isn't the case, but have a feeling that that will be the case for everyone.

Edited the quote buddy. :)

Soldato
Well this is brilliant. Used DDU to reboot into safe mode and its asking for my password rather than my pin which i cant remember because i let lastpass generate it. I now cant actually login because shutting down and restarting just takes back to safe mode!!!

Associate
How would I go about upgrading as the notification icon has no gone from my taskbar. Also I plan on adding a SSD to my laptop (MSI) by using the MSI burn recovery tool. That would make the process longer now as I'd have to resinstall 8.1 to SSD and then upgrade. Would I be able to do this after i have upgraded?

Associate
My mom has a laptop with windows 8 oem. but i want to add in an ssd and windows 10. would i have to install windows 8 first on to the ssd then upgrade to windows 10 get a free upgrade? I am thinking it might notice the windows 8 oem and activate windows 10?

Personally i would make a full backup

Upgrade to windows 10 and make sure it activates.

Swap the hard drive out

Install windows 10 fresh and it should activate.

Back
Top Bottom