Windows 10

Associate
Yes, and I'm stumped!

Press win+r and type diskmgmt.msc

Click on your C: drive

Below the list of drives there will be a partition map, the first partition will be Data or some such, listed at 100MB, right click on it and go to change drive letters and paths -> add -> now choose Y: for the drive letter

Right click the CMD.EXE start menu icon and choose 'Run as Administrator'.

Type: Y: <enter> in the cmd window

Run these commands:
takeown /f . /r /d y
icacls . /grant administrators:F /t <see note below>
attrib -h -s -r bootmgr

NOTE: for the icacls command you can use your username instead of administrators, to find out your username type 'whoami'

Now open explorer (win+e) go to the Y: drive under computer, Make sure hidden files and system files are visible through folder options. Then go into the Boot folder, and delete all languages other than en-GB. Languages are in the form xx-XX. Make sure to shift+delete and not just delete so they don't go to the recycle bin. Empty the recycle bin afterwards just in case
now go back to the admin command prompt, and type this command:
chkdsk Y: /F /X /sdcleanup /L:5000

this truncates the NTFS log to 5MB, it can be very very big, not leaving enough space for the install. At the end of the output it should tell you that you have at least 50MB of free space on the partition
proceed with the windows 8.1 installation

once booted into 10 and set up, you can go back into diskmgmt.msc and remove the drive letter for the boot partition

POB

POB

Soldato
Just when I thought it went all smooth!

So I upgraded... Activated and then reset windows for a clean install.
It reinstalled and rebooted but now it keeps saying

'error... Inaccessible boot device '

Has anyone else had this problem.

Happened with my Surface Pro 3. But I did try it after trying lots on insider builds so the system was messy.

I used the ISO to wipe the drive this morning and it went OK.

Soldato
Ok im actually a little confused. After I upgraded and decided to do a fresh USB install I used produkey to find my key since i couldn't find my Windows 7 box and disc.

I found the box just now and my original Windows 7 key is not the same as the one Produkey said. I tried activating using my original Win7 key but that fails too.

I have no idea which key i should be trying to activate.

Open Command Prompt and try this (Copy and paste):

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

This worked for me and found the exact Product key

Soldato
Sorry how did you fix it? Would be handy to know for the FAQ :)

After the reinstall, I was still struggling to activate. I went into my router configuration, as I have an unusual setup at my house, and put my IP/MAC address in the De-Militarized-Zone (DMZ). You could have course just forward the necessary ports but for a temporary fix, I have no issues exposing my computer for a few seconds.

Soldato
Trying to install this on my wife's laptop.

Found a really messed up "feature" of the media creation tool. If you want to create an ISO or USB stick you need to select three options. From top to bottom they are language, version (ie Home or Professional) and finally 32bit or 64bit.

If you change you selection on the first two dropdowns it automatically changes the download to the 32bit version. I twice selected the 64bit version and downloaded to find out I had the 32bit version instead.

Now trying to make a USB stick to install with. I've managed to download fully but it seems stuck at 97% while locally creating the USB stick.

Associate
What a pain. It seems mine didn't upgrade but did a 100% fresh instapp. No traces of any previous os or files and I cant do anything on it.

Should I reinstall windows 8, do all the appropriate updates and try upgrade again?

Strangely, mine was the same until I activated it, Took over 2 hours... Servers must be getting hammered.

Associate
Trying to install this on my wife's laptop.

Found a really messed up "feature" of the media creation tool. If you want to create an ISO or USB stick you need to select three options. From top to bottom they are language, version (ie Home or Professional) and finally 32bit or 64bit.

If you change you selection on the first two dropdowns it automatically changes the download to the 32bit version. I twice selected the 64bit version and downloaded to find out I had the 32bit version instead.

Now trying to make a USB stick to install with. I've managed to download fully but it seems stuck at 97% while locally creating the USB stick.

I have ISO's now in the main FAQ post if you wanna just grab one of them :) If you extract the ISO to a usb or just mount the iso using windows 8 hehe. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18684092

Permabanned
[ui]ICEMAN;28375817 said:
So I rolled back, checked I was activated. Then ran the USB upgrade and made sure to remove the USB stick before it rebooted. I'm faced with the same issue again that I cannot activate and it says the last 5 of my key under the activation page is 3V66T which is not a key I own - I believe that's the MS default key.

Could someone that hasn't activated please show me their activate windows page where it says "Your product key info" please?

Mine was the same. 8.1 - 10 with the forced update, same looking key but it activated in the end. Just leave it a few hours and try again.

Soldato
Strangely, mine was the same until I activated it, Took over 2 hours... Servers must be getting hammered.

How did you activate it? Did you need to enter your serial from previous OS or was there a button for activation?

Mine was literally a fresh install - completely wiped out everything from before so the only option I had was to enter my serial key from 8.1....

Associate
I sure am loving my cpu spikes up to 20-25 and even 50 doing nothing but msi afterburner and task manager...

ea555d1d07.png

Associate
How did you activate it? Did you need to enter your serial from previous OS or was there a button for activation?

Mine was literally a fresh install - completely wiped out everything from before so the only option I had was to enter my serial key from 8.1....

That does sound weird. I just hit the activate button every few minutes until it finally went through.

Back
Top Bottom