Windows 10

Soldato
What a load of trouble this has been for me.. Finally got it to Work though but the path to success was a long one.

1) Ran the MediaCreatorToolx64 from Microsoft.com to download the iso needed
2) It gave me 32 bit home....even though i selected 64 bit..and well home is the wrong edition
3) Reinstalled Windows 8 pro
4) Ran MediaCreatorToolx64 Again and it downloaded Windows 10 home Again but this time it gave me 64 bit..
5) decided to install it and of course it wouldnt activate
6) Went to the store page and converted my Home to Pro.. took ages for it to finish that simple task
7) Rebooted and it wouldnt activate.
8) Went to the store Again and pressed a button there. Said Windows 10 is genuin.. yet kept reverting to not activated status. Kept pressing the button and after a few tries it sticked..
9) Rebooted and finally Windows 10 Pro x64 fully activated.

What a blipping headache that was.

Associate
Tried it once on my main PC from a bootable USB. Got to about 36% (second reboot) then failed. Rolled itself back to 8.1
It also failed about 10 times on my laptop.
Trying the wifes spare laptop now. My spare laptops screen has decided it's a good time to stop working :(

edit:- Well. The wifes laptop is win 7 pro. I've downloaded the "N" version so no worky :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Well first the app says I cant have Win 10 as my graphics card is too new (!)
So I tried using the ISO and that told me the Windows 10 install failed. It then screwed up my bootmgr which I had to fix.
Now the app has disappeared.

I think its MS subliminally telling me not to install the tripe and stick with Windows 8.1

Caporegime
@Varkanoid, the only big space saver in disk cleanup for me, is the "previous installation" of 27GB, kinda worried to remove it.. Would it be safe to do so? I know it may seem an odd question.

Got rid of mine after a clean Windows 7 install and had no problems since. Mine was 13GB in size.

Soldato
I have a netbook with windows 8.1 with bing. would this just be upgraded to W10 Home?

cant see it on the list when it states what you get upgraded too

Soldato
No.. there was an option to convert the installation to pro. The store seems to be more than just a market place for purchases but also a place to sort upgrades and such to your installation without paying anything(as long as your liable to get it)

so u had win8.1 (not pro)? and upgraded to 10 home then converted it to pro for free? how?

Associate
Got a clean install working and activated on a new SSD.
you had to do the upgrade then activate it then find out the product key (which is new) then use that product key to activate the new install.

Soldato
Got a clean install working and activated on a new SSD.
you had to do the upgrade then activate it then find out the product key (which is new) then use that product key to activate the new install.

How do you find out the new product key then? I'm just about to do this process and I'm blindly wandering around the OS not having a clue

Back
Top Bottom