Windows 10

Associate
Basically upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8.1 it activated fine all good! but afterwards I wanted to do a fresh install with the iso I downloaded off media creation tool I did.
Installed but windows wont activate I contacted Microsoft support spoke to a tech and what she basically said was It will only activate on a upgrade from windows 8.1 I cant fresh install unless I buy a windows 10 license but I have read that once you activate on the upgrade that when you fresh install windows 10 will already be activated.
So I'm confused to say the least so that means in the future if I want to reinstall windows 10 I have to install windows 8.1 again and upgrade surely that cant be right.
If this is possibly related to my OEM and the bios and whether selecting UEFI or bios on the usb install makes a difference also I would like some advise thanks.

After its activated you can do a full reinstall

If you are getting activation error just keep retrying. if it says the key is bad try restarting a few times.

Associate
The tech said I could only activate from a upgrade a fresh install isn't possible apparently but what I find funny is even the Microsoft q and a on windows 10 said once you have upgraded you can fresh install from installation media lol ! Other people I'm sites have said the servers aren't working ! But on my activation screen it just says the product code is blocked so unless this is changed looks like the only way to get it is to upgrade so looks like I won't be bothering with windows 10

Associate
The tech said I could only activate from a upgrade a fresh install isn't possible apparently but what I find funny is even the Microsoft q and a on windows 10 said once you have upgraded you can fresh install from installation media lol ! Other people I'm sites have said the servers aren't working ! But on my activation screen it just says the product code is blocked so unless this is changed looks like the only way to get it is to upgrade so looks like I won't be bothering with windows 10

Product code is blocked is fixed by restarting the computer. One person had to restart 6 times for it to fix.

Soldato
My laptop keeps hanging on boot during installation, reporting error code 0xc1900101 0x20017 and something about failing at SAFE_OS phase.

Any ideas?

I googled error codes found people had same issues 2 years ago during installed Windows 8.1. The setup had problems installed SATA drivers.

To fix issue is to power down PC then power on to enter BIOS and set SATA hard drive to IDE then boot to run installation again.

Soldato
Bit of a pain but all good here now.

Very much liking the accessibility stuff, will make life much easier.

Anyhoo

After failing to update via update, (missing Boot.wim) Did it via the set up tool

However it has not asked me to validate my install.....

Does that mean I am cool with it???

Permabanned
Too good to be true

I'VE ACTIVATED FINALLY WOHOO!

Spammed that Activation box and 6th time it did it. Finally, that blocked key had be fuming. I can now go to sleep in peace. :p

There is something strange going on. The key it has activated with is that same generic 3v66t key, so how are people getting around doing clean installs as your original windows 8 keys won't work?

Try it yourself and download belarc security advisor your key will be the same. This is for those who had problems with blocked keys.

Soldato
However it has not asked me to validate my install.....

Does that mean I am cool with it???

It didn't prompt me, I checked. Havent had problems activating it. Upgrade. made sure it was activated and then did a fresh install on a new SSD and it was activated automatically that time.

After being on edge most of the night. I'm impressed with it.

Agreed. Still using chrome due to syncing etc but its a handy and good back up, I would have defaulted to it if I wasn't in chromes ecosystem. I'm also rather sadly impressed with the map app which has cloud cover and rain cover of the UK as well as a detailed and nice looking local weather app

Last edited:
Soldato
Once its activated the key is irreverent it goes on your Unique Hardware ID. You skip the key part for a fresh install and it will activate itself.

It didn't prompt me, I checked. Havent had problems activating it. Upgrade. made sure it was activated and then did a fresh install on a new SSD and it was activated automatically that time.

Sorry worded that all wrong.

I Have not been asked to activate it....

I also kept my Apps n personal files and everything works..... even GTA V

Back
Top Bottom