Windows 10

Soldato
My surface pro 2 started to complain last night that windows 10 had expired, had a look and showed as not activated, when trying to activate it complaining I do not have a digital licence and need to buy a new one.

Anyway to resovle this short of getting the windows 8 image and reinsatlling 8 then 10?

Associate
What's the best way to find out why my Windows is running unbearably slow/ laggy? It happened all of a sudden after an update a few weeks ago. It can't be my hardware as it was fine before and I also have an SSD

Soldato
What's the best way to find out why my Windows is running unbearably slow/ laggy? It happened all of a sudden after an update a few weeks ago. It can't be my hardware as it was fine before and I also have an SSD

It's not that you're downloading an update is it? Ie: I assume it's been left of for a good length of time with a good internet connection etc?

Soldato

check resource monitor in task manage and see what is being used.

Soldato
My PC has started crashing, not sure if it's software or hardware related. Basically it just freezes, no error message or BSOD, just hangs and I have to power off. I'm running memtest but no errors so far, I'm not overclocked at all. Will windows 10 capture a log at all? Anything else I can try?

Thanks

Soldato
My PC has started crashing, not sure if it's software or hardware related. Basically it just freezes, no error message or BSOD, just hangs and I have to power off. I'm running memtest but no errors so far, I'm not overclocked at all. Will windows 10 capture a log at all? Anything else I can try?

Thanks

can always try event viewer

Caporegime
My surface pro 2 started to complain last night that windows 10 had expired, had a look and showed as not activated, when trying to activate it complaining I do not have a digital licence and need to buy a new one.

Anyway to resovle this short of getting the windows 8 image and reinsatlling 8 then 10?

Install produkey to get the windows 8 bios key and activate it with that.

Man of Honour
I'm looking to change my motherboard soon, and I recall that in the past, MS allowed you to re-activate your free digital entitlement of Windows 10 pro, but only if you reinstalled Windows 7, then re-ran the upgrade to tell MS that you were legit on the new motherboard.

Having done some further reading on the current state of affairs with this, am I right in thinking that the Anniversary Update, as well as a few previous updates to 10 allowed you to simply activate Windows 10 using your Windows 7/8 key to verify entitlement?

Associate
The Anniversary update allowed the license to be moved to a new motherboard (as long as that was the only thing that was being changed), and the previous version was the one that allowed activation via windows 7/8.1 keys.

Probably the best way to do this is to use the current OS install (windows has become more robust when it comes to a major hardware change and won't do a dump on the floor when you try to boot it up) to validate the change (I think there's some part of the settings you have to go to tell it that the motherboard has been changed and reactivate), and then if you want you can then do a clean install.

Soldato
I used my retail windows 7 key to install windows 10 on a PC, can I use the same key to install 10 on a new PC? [when the old one is no more]

yes but you will have issues when it comes to reactivation because it'll be a whole new computer... you will either need to try doing the phone activation if that fails then you'll need to try contacting MS but most likely MS will say no, even tho in the windows 10 license terms it saying if you upgrade from a standalone product e.g windows 7 retail then your allowed to transfer..

another guy on here is having issues getting it activated after he upgraded his cpu/ram/mobo. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18751777

Soldato
yes but you will have issues when it comes to reactivation because it'll be a whole new computer... you will either need to try doing the phone activation if that fails then you'll need to try contacting MS but most likely MS will say no, even tho in the windows 10 license terms it saying if you upgrade from a standalone product e.g windows 7 retail then your allowed to transfer..

another guy on here is having issues getting it activated after he upgraded his cpu/ram/mobo. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18751777

If all else fails you can pass ownership between OS versions as well. That's what I did.

I no longer have a windows 8 key, but I have a replacement windows 10 key :)

Soldato
Is there anyway to rename the quick access folders in explorer, because in win7 they were shortcuts in the favourites that you could rename? Like it wont even let you put any shortcuts in the quick access, as I was going to get around the problem that way instead.

I want to rename the the numbers folder, but the only way todo that is to rename the actual folder?

Image3.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Having sync issues with email,What do you have yours set on,I have to do it manual.

As in if i send myself a email it doesn't come through untill i click sync.

Back
Top Bottom