Winter 2017/2018 - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Seems to be more disturbance of the jet stream and possibly polar vortex due this month - no consensus on what if anything it would bring us - looks like the US will get snow but we could see anything from early heat to a repeat of what we've just had or anything in between :s

Soldato
Very heavy in southport this morning
15204910719281104472876.jpg

Man of Honour
Looks like it is far from over for the North of the country.

Not sure what to make of the weather through March - some configurations that are way outside of my limited knowledge to interpret - certainly looks like we are in for some notable weather of one sort or the other though.

Soldato
We had more snow than I've seen for a long time in Liverpool this morning although it's mostly going now. Google Maps was saying it was going to take me 1.5hrs instead of the usual 25mins to get into work so I had a lazy morning to let the chaos on the roads die down. Loads of cars wrapped around lamp posts on the way in though! The missus is annoyed as pretty much every other school in Liverpool is closed apart from hers. At least el doggo had fun..

qrYFIrUh.jpg

Soldato
Although all the snow in Swindon had gone by Tuesday, we went up on The Ridgeway Wednesday afternoon intending to walk from Hackpen to Avebury but had to turn back due to substantial snow drifts across the path. It was very soggy and after the third or fourth instance of going knee deep through to an icy cold lake underneath enough was enough. Strangely enough after making our way back to Hackpen and setting off towards Barbury there was no such problem, other than the 'orrible Ridgeway mud which is a problem most of the year when it's wet. Sticky chalk/clay with a bit of flint which caulks on the bottom of your boot making you walk like Basil Fawlty. (Wiltshire Council renew the gravel top about once every 30 years!).

Man of Honour
Although all the snow in Swindon had gone by Tuesday, we went up on The Ridgeway Wednesday afternoon intending to walk from Hackpen to Avebury but had to turn back due to substantial snow drifts across the path. It was very soggy and after the third or fourth instance of going knee deep through to an icy cold lake underneath enough was enough. Strangely enough after making our way back to Hackpen and setting off towards Barbury there was no such problem, other than the 'orrible Ridgeway mud which is a problem most of the year when it's wet. Sticky chalk/clay with a bit of flint which caulks on the bottom of your boot making you walk like Basil Fawlty. (Wiltshire Council renew the gravel top about once every 30 years!).

Was quite odd near work - there is a carpark with a small hillside behind it - several days after it had all thawed out everywhere else there was still 3 inches of mostly pristine (the odd bit cleared to make a snowman aside) snow on it like it had just come down. Gone now though.

Man of Honour
If I'm reading it right this would make for quite a brief but significant cold intrusion with the cold kind of running out of anywhere to go in the areas it does touch.

Iyyy4uM.png

What a joke! We're gonna have another crap and cold summer aren't we?

Not necessarily a correlation. The jet stream has been pushed well south of us and not seen the expected correction around the 10th - looks like its going to be until around the 25th before it kicks back in so until then it won't be hindering colder weather in the normal way - doesn't mean we'll have colder weather just one less factor preventing it.

Personally I'm expecting a 2008-2010 summer with above average rainfall overall and an above average warm June plus contrasting months through the summer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom