WINTER 2018/2019 - Chat thread!

Soldato
Can we have snow at night this year please and not lunchtime. nearly crashing several times on the m3 trying to get home was not fun. Thanks..

Caporegime
Mince pies already on sale in Iceland.

And I had to put my CH on yesterday :(
I was tempted to buy one of the aforementioned Tesco Christmas puddings... but they aren't yet stocking brandy butter (for some unknowable reason it's considered seasonal, and not on sale year-round).

Why?! It doesn't make any sense. Why would anyone sell xmas pud without brandy butter? It's a travesty.

Soldato
Be careful what you wish for.
Oh I fully understand the ramifications of what I wish for, I find the chaos of harsh British winter conditions to be highly amusing and equally comforting, I go about thriving whilst watching everything grind to a halt and people endlessly whinge.
The only sad thing being this year I wont be up in Scotland to make the most of the Winter this year due to work.

There is no such thing as a bad winter, only the wrong clothes and the wrong attitude!

Caporegime
There was a bit of ice on the paths by the Bet365 Stadium in Stoke this morning.
I don't like the cold now I'm getting older.
Wrap up and keep your extremities warm.

At least with cold weather you can prepare and adapt. With the bloody silly hot weather we had this summer, there is naff all you can do to ease the suffering.

Soldato
Lately, I’ve been sweltering in the engine room of an oil tanker off West Africa, with loads of humid outside air being sucked in through the E/R supply fans, and mixed with the already boiling temperatures of an engine room full of steam-traced piping. I for one literally find myself fantasising about coming home in November to clear, cold and frosty mornings.

Caporegime
“Winter” started about 3 weeks ago. We’ve had two rounds of snow so far, and it supposed to snow again this weekend :(.

Luckily it was just an inch or two for us and it melted almost straight away, but some places around me had up to 6 inches at the weekend. We seem to have skipped autumn, just as we skipped spring. Things are warming back up for the next few days though.

Supposed to be a La Niña winter so we should be expecting warmer and drier winter than usual, very different from the particularly cold and snowy last couple of winters.

Caporegime
As much as i love a beautiful and snowy scene, these cold spells can are pretty dangerous for elderly. There has been estimates that a fair amount of deaths could have been avoided if we haven't somewhat neglected our social welfare and health services in recent years.

Then again the heatwaves have their own death toll. Although it is estimated to be lower, it less manageable.

Heatwaves are actually much more dangerous for the elderly. The cold spells also have some indirect benefits such as reducing environmental viruses and bacteria lowering risks of elderly getting sick.

Permabanned
Ill be taking my camper van to Portugal again and spending winter living on the beach. Taking a surfboard with me this time as it seems to be the done thing amongst Europe’s vanlifers.

Associate
Lately, I’ve been sweltering in the engine room of an oil tanker off West Africa, with loads of humid outside air being sucked in through the E/R supply fans, and mixed with the already boiling temperatures of an engine room full of steam-traced piping. I for one literally find myself fantasising about coming home in November to clear, cold and frosty mornings.

Now that does sound like a proper Man job :cool:

Associate
ECM Seasonal Model has gone with extreme northern blocking for this coming winter (Nov - Mar) which would mean the UK seeing cold to very cold temperatures with wintry conditions from the east initially with a swing round to the north and west in early 2019.

High pressure to the north (blocking) and Low pressure in the mid Atlantic would mean southern Europe and the Mediterranean seeing the milder wet air, with the UK and northern Europe being fed cold air from the north and north east.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom