WINTER 2018/2019 - Chat thread!

Soldato
I have weather dependent hobbies. These people can't predict what will happen next Wednesday unless there are very specific stable conditions. I never trust any forecast beyond tomorrow and even that can be very wrong.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
I’ll believe it when I see it considering the Met aren’t forecasting anything other than light snow on high ground.
Even temps are not showing much below 0.
Isn’t it pretty normal anyway for this time of year?

Man of Honour
Stuff like that image isn't so usual for another month or two - last few years haven't really seen anything like that until into Jan IIRC though might be wrong on that. At the same time if anything comes of it it will only be light snow showers and mostly at higher ground probably more like sleet.

Soldato
Every year, about this time, I see the forecasts and start to get excited and dust the ice axes off ready for another winter.. It's usually another couple months until I get to use them properly!

Soldato
Its turned a bit chilly today. I had to put a sweater on. Bit of a shock after the weekend/last couple of weeks. At this rate I'll have to start looking for me coat. Still at least its sunny as usual. This clear bright weather while warm in the summer is cold and crisp in the winter. Heres hoping.

Soldato
Every year, about this time, I see the forecasts and start to get excited and dust the ice axes off ready for another winter.. It's usually another couple months until I get to use them properly!

This, it happens every year, the Sun/Express/Mail predict that Snowmegaddon is coming and that we're going to be frozen in until April so by the law of averages one year they will be right ;)

24 hour news, "Winter weather in Winter shocker!"

Soldato
The BBC weather page had a report on it yesterday and in the video the presenter said yup it's an unusual weather pattern and if this was December - February we'd probably have a ton of snow but given it's October it's just going to be a bit chilly.

I'm no meteorologist, not even avid weather watcher but it does seem like the Jet Stream has been doing more wonky things the last 5 years than it has in the last 20 years. Now this might be an internet driven reporting thing, I don't know, but I certainly find it interesting. Certainly the last few winters there has been heavy reporting on the Jet Stream taking unusual shapes leading to hot and cold air moving into "unusual" patterns. I wonder if this is linked to the current lows in solar sunspot activity?

Soldato
Gone minus here at night and snow predicted Wednesday and Thursday....
Time to get the big coat out.

Still shorts weather here at the moment, although my legs have been feeling it this last week when I take the dog out first thing. I don't even think the thermostat has clicked on for the heating yet.

Soldato
It's crazy. I see 20°C on the UK weather and I actually reckon I'd sweat in that now :p

I've got a Greek friend who breaks out the gloves and scarf and complains it's cold when the temperature drops below 15C. The coldest her winters ever get to is about 7C though. It's crazy what we get used to!

Soldato
The cold doesn't seem to bother me as much anymore. There was a time when I used to wear jackets etc but last Winter I spent it in t-shirts and that's including building a snowman with my son.

People seem to come out with comments like "bet you wish you had a jacket" and feel the need to say ain't you cold? if I was I would she stuck a jacket on.

The weekend just gone was great with clear sky and sun etc which I spent mowing the lawn with the new petrol mower lol

Clocks go back the weekend as well so daylight will be rare with going to work in the dark and getting home in the dark too.

Man of Honour
The cold doesn't seem to bother me as much anymore.

I've had a funny one with it the last couple of years or so - sometimes I've hardly needed anything and felt fine when it is like -2C other times it is say 5-6C and I feel absolutely freezing.

Soldato
I've had a funny one with it the last couple of years or so - sometimes I've hardly needed anything and felt fine when it is like -2C other times it is say 5-6C and I feel absolutely freezing.
I seem to get funny comments or people talking to the other half as to why it's -5 or lower and I'm outside deicing the car in just t-shirt. So far this year I have been fine and no need for a jumper or anything else yet

Soldato
Wind chill is a huge factor when it's sub zero tbh, if it's a still day but sunny it's awesome for a walk. When the sun goes away and the slightest breeze comes though..

Back
Top Bottom