WINTER 2018/2019 - Chat thread!

Soldato
How long do you camp for ?

1 night. Pitched up about 4pm after a couple of hours hike, put a brew on and read for a bit, had some dinner then did another hour or so walking at sunset/in the dark. Bed at half 8ish - that's the problem with winter camps, not a lot to do once it gets dark! Need to get a decent camera for some night photography. Woke up at 1am to go for a slash and freeze my johnson off.. Back to bed, slept on and off till 6. Long ass night with the clock change :o Brew, breakfast, pack up and hike out. Home by 10. Feel refreshed :p

Got some longer ones planned but I can't spend 2 days on my jollies at the weekend at the moment.

Soldato
Must have some good gear to camping out like that or it'd be pretty unpleasant from the cold and wind factor. Used to live in the black mountains nature reserve years ago and walk to work at 5am every day. Beautiful open landscape but catches the worst of the weather stuck on a mountain like, we had snow blanketing the ground past May bank holiday once :D

there is quite a lot of cold potential but still enough warmth being drawn up from the south/Atlantic to potentially keep it mild through much of the winter but if that lets go it could really let the cold in.
That sums up the uk in a sentence, we should be way colder then this (most of it we avoid) if it werent for the warm water coming up from east/south coast of usa and the air warmed by that water I guess. Glasgow is on the same latitude as Moscow, Glasgow being slightly more north

OcUK Staff
I actually used the remote start feature on the car the car this morning to pre-heat everything as it was -3c and car was iced over, having heated windscreen, heated wheel, heated seats and remote start really is a nice feature for Winter months and I got a feeling its gonna be a long cold Winter.

h1.jpg

h3.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
No frost but its bloody freezing regardless. Saturday the previous week it was 22c this saturday it was 4c! Talk about a shock to the system I've got the heating on full blast and had to throw an extra blanket on the bed I can't stop shivering I think my body's gone into thermal shock or something.

Man of Honour
Didn't quite get down to 0 but when I came out of work at 5am the cars in the car park were severely frosted over - the wind was very very cold even though the thermometer was between 0 and 1C.

Associate
Anyone got any decent jackets I could look at? Ideally Waterproof and warm? I don't want to spend too much maybe £100-150?

- How does this jacket look? - Tog24 Aviation Mens Milatex/Down Jacket

Soldato
I actually used the remote start feature on the car the car this morning to pre-heat everything as it was -3c and car was iced over, having heated windscreen, heated wheel, heated seats and remote start really is a nice feature for Winter months and I got a feeling its gonna be a long cold Winter.

*snip*

Very nice motors. Couldn't help but notice the roll cage in the BMW, do you race it?

OcUK Staff
Very nice motors. Couldn't help but notice the roll cage in the BMW, do you race it?

Not competitively, but I do track days in it so was done for safety, correct angle for harnesses etc. plus it looks awesome and as its welded in it certainly improved the cars handling. :)

Soldato
Not competitively, but I do track days in it so was done for safety, correct angle for harnesses etc. plus it looks awesome and as its welded in it certainly improved the cars handling. :)

Cool. Yes, I'm sure the extra rigidity helps a lot. I bet it's heaps of fun on the track, and it does look the business.

Anyway, before I derail this too much... :)

OcUK Staff
Cool. Yes, I'm sure the extra rigidity helps a lot. I bet it's heaps of fun on the track, and it does look the business.

Anyway, before I derail this too much... :)

Cheers there is a build thread in motors section, where you can see my progress with car and plenty of pictures. :)

Associate
Need a new jacket this year, had a really thick faux-fur lined DC jacket that's on it's last legs and not made anymore. I've been looking at 3-in-1 Berghaus / North Face jackets to replace it, are they any good or should I get something like the Montane Icarus for cold weather and a Waterproof shell to go over it when it's raining?

Associate
Need a new jacket this year, had a really thick faux-fur lined DC jacket that's on it's last legs and not made anymore. I've been looking at 3-in-1 Berghaus / North Face jackets to replace it, are they any good or should I get something like the Montane Icarus for cold weather and a Waterproof shell to go over it when it's raining?

Tell me what you go for I'd like to have a look at it, I'm after a new jacket too.

Back
Top Bottom