Winter 2024/25 - Cold or Mild? Rain or Snow?

I would take cold and clear over the usual **** british winter of wet, miserable, 95% grey and dark by mid afternoon. Christ, when you summarise it like that it really is depressing.

I fear yesterday was the last day of summer.

Not looking forward to this winter for a number of reasons. Think I'm going to have a tough one and we'll really need to watch my mental health situation. Definitely having a lot of thoughts around "what am I doing with my life"

I like to look at the pro and cons of each season, used to love winter with heavy snowfall something magical about it now its mostly wet

Last edited:
I like to look at the pro and cons of each season, used to love winter with heavy snowfall something magical about it now its mostly wet and not as cold

No issue with cold bright frosty mornings. In fact 3 of my last 4 holidays have been artic conditions.
I love that cold crisp dry air.

And used to get it a lot as a kid. Ice skating on the frozen pond etc.

This is now nearly unheard of. This gloom persists too. October to December is particularly grim.
You can get some nice jan-Feb days. But more and more it's just grey/damp/cold.

No issue with cold bright frosty mornings. In fact 3 of my last 4 holidays have been artic conditions.
I love that cold crisp dry air.

And used to get it a lot as a kid. Ice skating on the frozen pond etc.

This is now nearly unheard of. This gloom persists too. October to December is particularly grim.
You can get some nice jan-Feb days. But more and more it's just grey/damp/cold.
150 years ago curling on frozen ponds used to be a national pastime in Scotland now it almost never happens as those kind of winters are a thing of the past its no coincidence the centre of curling has moved to Canada where they still get those long cold winters, for now at anyrate

Some more updates

Here's the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration report that a lot of this reporting has been based on - https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.shtml

In summary, La Niña is favored to emerge in September-November (71% chance) and is expected to persist through January-March 2025.

Now, "local" weather will be variable as always, but overall if this report remains accurate, considering its wide time-frame (and I can't see why it wouldn't be) then I think it would likely make for some very interesting political news by March new year I'd say.

Thunderstorms here yesterday with torrential rain. Today has just been pretty much non stop heavy rain. Tomorrow we have an amber warning for rain.
We have a big hilly field behind us and when the ground is saturated we end up with a river coming through our garden and down our alley way.
I can see it becoming a permanent feature soon.

Thunderstorms here yesterday with torrential rain. Today has just been pretty much non stop heavy rain. Tomorrow we have an amber warning for rain.
We have a big hilly field behind us and when the ground is saturated we end up with a river coming through our garden and down our alley way.
I can see it becoming a permanent feature soon.

Yeah big chunk of the Midlands has a amber warning for rain tomorrow, we've had lots of forecast heavy rain and yellow warnings where I am in Somerset but nothing really has come of it other than a narrow band I drove through yesterday - but literally 500m wide heading west (probably north/south streamer) where there was intense rain then nothing either side of it.

sigh, water peeing out the bottom of the boiler, probably getting in the flue as it's peeing it down outside.
life throwing problems at me while I have no job. :(
btw the boiler guy will take a few days to respond, if anyone knows anything I should do about this in the meantime let me know.

sigh, water peeing out the bottom of the boiler, probably getting in the flue as it's peeing it down outside.
life throwing problems at me while I have no job. :(
btw the boiler guy will take a few days to respond, if anyone knows anything I should do about this in the meantime let me know.
You’re probably right if it’s chucking it down. Boiler pressure looking ok?

You’re probably right if it’s chucking it down. Boiler pressure looking ok?
yea. the rain died down a bit, and so did the water - then the rain picked up again, and so did the water. rip.

Edit: popped out to asda for lunch, some roads flooded, and plenty more rain forecast, bit concerning.

Last edited:
I used to work in a Met office Weather forecast station and they had incredibly low confidence in any forecast past a few days.

I would simply expect this Winter to be as cold wet grey and depressing as usual.

So far this afternoon just been constant heavy rain here, nothing exceptional so far but heavy and persistent. Surprised there aren't flood warnings locally but maybe the ground is soaking it up.

Still on track for the heating switch on next week on 1st October. Family have done ok. Only a couple of days where mild complaints were made, instantly shot down by me looking them up and down to remind them that a pair of ripped boxers/pants/pjs are not compatible with warmth.

Back
Top Bottom