Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When I was reading the books I wondered if Varys was deliberately fomenting chaos in Westeros to aid the Whitewalkers. The defining moment in Varys life is when a follower of the fire god cut off his bits and burnt them as an offering, at the time I imagined he might be trying to aid ice versus fire as vengeance.

If that were the case weakening Dany (whom I can't stand in the TV show) would work to that end.

Except Varys has been consistent even in casual talk with tyrion who he shared his origin secrets with that his overall aim is to help the common people.

Wiping out life on the continent isn't a great plan for that.

Still find the defeat of House Tyrell and the The Reach a bit contrived - even with other events depleting their forces somewhat and taking into account culturally they were warriors secondarily they should still have had an army way beyond the capabilities of the dented Lannister forces - or at least take an extended campaign to beat strategically.

Still find the defeat of House Tyrell and the The Reach a bit contrived - even with other events depleting their forces somewhat and taking into account culturally they were warriors secondarily they should still have had an army way beyond the capabilities of the dented Lannister forces - or at least take an extended campaign to beat strategically.
And I'm sure that story will be in the books... I imagine GRRM's notes at this point amount to bullet points, one of which says "House Tyrell defeated, Olenna admits to killing Joffrey" and they've just gone yep, that'll do.

Indeed, though at this point it could just be some more bad writing and another thing they just forgot.

I kinda just want GoT to hurry up and end now.

Well, I think his sources were primarily in Kings Landing although probably has others elsewhere. Casterly Rock is on the far side of the continent. There would have been plenty of time to empty it of stores and march on the Tyrells in between Grey Worm setting out and arriving.

Because the Tyrell banner men (Only Tarley had a speaking role in the show but you see others in the 1st episode) have sided with the Queen. It would have just been the Highgarden garrison I guess left to defend.

Yup. I mean they have a large army in a very large castle with food reserves for years. It should have been a long drawn out siege surely? But that doesn't work with their show plot. I mean the unsullied have taken the rock and the lannisters should just be sat in a field somewhere sieging a castle in a really bad situation. But nah took the castle with barely a fight just so dany is in a weaker position.

Last edited:
Because the Tyrell banner men (Only Tarley had a speaking role in the show but you see others in the 1st episode) have sided with the Queen. It would have just been the Highgarden garrison I guess left to defend.

Good point I'd forgotten that scene. Even so Highgarden itself had a sizeable armed forces that wouldn't be easily brushed aside - the combined forces of The Reach supposedly is more than twice any other house so that would still leave a fair chunk even with the main lords/bannermen gone.

Last edited:
Why hasnt Lord Baelish been beheaded yet? (does he own the knights of the vale? not really he just assisted or?) He's betrayed just about everyone he sided with. His betrayal of Ned isn't known by the Starks or anyone i guess?

I think both his and Varys days are numbered... i dont think Varys at least will last the season.

Why hasnt Lord Baelish been beheaded yet? (does he own the knights of the vale? not really he just assisted or?) He's betrayed just about everyone he sided with. His betrayal of Ned isn't known by the Starks or anyone i guess?

I think both his and Varys days are numbered... i dont think Varys at least will last the season.

Lord Baelish is effectively in charge of the knights of the vale after killing off his wife and now being the guardian of the weird kid who is the heir.

No one knows he did that, or that he started the entire story from season 1, causing Ned to be being made hand of the king resulting in all the drama at kings landing leading to disturbances everywhere.

The only thing he's done openly is at the request of Sansa to use the knights of the vale to save Jon Snow from suicide vs the Bolton army which obviously means he's seen as associated with "the north" now.

But no, hardly anyone is aware of what he did behind the scenes. Jon doesn't like him because he's too obvious about wanting his sister. He isn't aware that Baelish caused the events that got most of his family killed.

Good point I'd forgotten that scene. Even so Highgarden itself had a sizeable armed forces that wouldn't be easily brushed aside - the combined forces of The Reach supposedly is more than twice any other house so that would still leave a fair chunk even with the main lords/bannermen gone.

surely if that relates to the "combined forces" of the reach then it is banner men included... if most of them have switched sides then that is a formidable army for the Lannisters not the Tyrell's

Everything that happens will be something that you'
Lord Baelish is effectively in charge of the knights of the vale after killing off his wife and now being the guardian of the weird kid who is the heir.

No one knows he did that, or that he started the entire story from season 1, causing Ned to be being made hand of the king resulting in all the drama at kings landing leading to disturbances everywhere.

The only thing he's done openly is at the request of Sansa to use the knights of the vale to save Jon Snow from suicide vs the Bolton army which obviously means he's seen as associated with "the north" now.

But no, hardly anyone is aware of what he did behind the scenes. Jon doesn't like him because he's too obvious about wanting his sister. He isn't aware that Baelish caused the events that got most of his family killed.

I take it back about Littlefinger...i think he will survive this season and midway through part 2.

Of all the characters "playing" the GOT he seems to be playing his cards masterfully...found this YT video

I still think at the end of it all Gendry will be King. Everyone else is playing the GOT. He isnt. He's present in the series but has no agenda. I think the writer(s) want to show that no matter how well you play the GOT you will still lose...it will be some kind of metaphor or parable about power and corruption etc.

I'd it me or have they glossed over little finger helping the Starks? He was supposed to take the north for cersei. Or are the lannisters being patient and assuming this is all part of his plan to take the north and he'll still be loyal to them?? Can't remember the lannisters mentioning him once this season is all.

i wonder if someone out there has done a graph with all the players and what kind of power game they are playing in GOT. e.g. long game aka Littlefinger, short brutal game tactics The Mountain, long long long long long game Bran Stark.

dunno about Gendry, I guess we might well see him again but he doesn't really have a good claim

I think Littlefinger is going to get killed this season

book talk:

IIRC Gendry was spotted in the books at the Inn at the crossroads, we didn't see him there in the show though I guess as Arya did bump into Hot Pie there then we'll catch up with Gendry too

predictions from the season trailer and the episode 4 preview/trailer for the coming episode:

I thought previously that Sansa might get wise to little finger and kill him this season but now, having seen the trailer, we can see that Arya is going to arrive at Winterfell, also there is a clip showing little finger's dagger - the one that a Lannister soldier used to try and kill Bran - I wonder now if Arya and Sansa discover Littlefinger's treachery - perhaps Arya kills him? (of course it could work the other way - maybe Littlefinger kills Arya... but my money is on her killing him)

also we saw in the season trailer the Lannister's fighting the Dothraki + at least one dragon, in the season 4 preview there are clips of Jamie + the Lannister Army and their looted gold + there is a clip of the dragon... I'm guessing in the coming episode they'll be attacked/destroyed on the way back to Kings Landing - could we perhaps see Jamie die too? (Or are we building to him getting more distrusting of his sister - could he need to be kept to eventually pull off a Queen slayer move?) - the second season 7 trailer seems to shown him riding through fire, maybe his army gets destroyed but he survives (hopefully Bron survives too in the case)

lastly re: the books:

in the books (number 4 IIRC) there is some shadowy plot point re: someone stealing a key for the library, also the maesters know a bit more about white walkers etc.. the TV show hasn't explored this (yet?) - I wonder if we're going to find some shadowy group with some different agenda here

Quick question. The three eyed raven gave visions of the past to Bran. I assume Bran could now do this to prove to Jon and Dany that Rhaegar is Jons father?

yeah Bran can reveal that and probably will this season, he said in the last episode that he needs to talk to Jon

I'd it me or have they glossed over little finger helping the Starks? He was supposed to take the north for cersei. Or are the lannisters being patient and assuming this is all part of his plan to take the north and he'll still be loyal to them?? Can't remember the lannisters mentioning him once this season is all.
His plan was to marry Sansa who at the time was the only heir to the north. However with Jon being declared King of the North and Bran being alive it has thrown a spanner in the works for him. My guess is he'll try killing Bran but will fail and be killed by another one of the Starks.

Read some theories about the maesters and how they might actually be a little sinister:

Maesters being mostly folk of science rather than magic (with some outliers who're generally sidelined by the order), recognised the targs as a threat and slowly over the years poisoned the Dragons so they got smaller and smaller.
I think it was a woman from the North who distrusts them and thinks they've been secretly pulling the strings. Good reason too, they are all placed in every keep next to anyone of consequence by the citadel. They have the universal trust of those in power as neutral figures who tutored both them and their children. They read and write every message sent between the noble houses so are privy to everything going on.
Do they have an agenda? If it's sinister then the whole game of thrones is a charade being orchestrated by them.

Back
Top Bottom