Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
People are nuts, there's some guy on youtube who just watched it then blamed HBO for letting it leak :/

Caught up! This season is only 7 episodes? Why did they think it was a good idea to make it so short. Their going for quality sure, but 3 more episodes making it 10 is not exactly going to detract from the quality and I'm sure they have a lot of story they could have told.

I mean technically speaking the show is only 3 episodes in and we are already approaching the half way mark.

I'm not sure it's quality they going for as some things are... sketchy, the two battles are so unexplained that it really could have used some flair, rather than having the viewer try and imagine some farcical reality where High Garden looks like a pile of **** with barely any fight from supposedly the biggest garrison in Westeros (if we ignore the Dothraki atm).

I'm not sure it's quality they going for as some things are... sketchy, the two battles are so unexplained that it really could have used some flair, rather than having the viewer try and imagine some farcical reality where High Garden looks like a pile of **** with barely any fight from supposedly the biggest garrison in Westeros (if we ignore the Dothraki atm).

I dislike the episode immensely. Varys has people everywhere, but had no ability to be told that several massive armies were on the move. I'm really bad at names, some of them anyway, the guy with all the boats, the idea that his fleet could just magically appear and take out the other fleet. They weren't watching, no look outs, no one does anything. There has been no spying going on, no information, every battle has just happened like the other guys are entirely blind, move with the speed of light and if they decide to do something it just happens.

The writing is getting lazy and bad, if the books/stories/ideas are meh or they are just rushing stuff, maybe a mix of both, maybe the books are great and the tv show cramming it into so few episodes is entirely responsible but the quality is stupid at the moment.

The idea that they just have 3 dragons hanging around doing nothing while she sent off her army to take on a castle of their sworn enemies when frankly everyone should realise the dragons need training and casterly rock, or a smaller target is better than just showing up trying to take on Cersei with dragons who have never really seen combat. Why aren't the dragons patrolling, why hasn't she taken one for a spin to destroy the fleet of ships that is screwing up her plans, why not protect and help her army by taking at least one dragon to help take down the castle. I think the quality of this season has dropped immensely.

Caught up! This season is only 7 episodes? Why did they think it was a good idea to make it so short. Their going for quality sure, but 3 more episodes making it 10 is not exactly going to detract from the quality and I'm sure they have a lot of story they could have told.

I mean technically speaking the show is only 3 episodes in and we are already approaching the half way mark.

I think it's as with many big shows, the longer you go the more money goes to the actors and the show gets more expensive. What I don't get though is, if actors talk themselves out of a show by demanding so much money... aren't they just screwing themselves. Hey get 5mil this year, or 3mil for 4 more years of the show which is making you a star. But the longer a show goes on the more profitable it's supposed to get, the more series the better a show does in syndication the more it makes from sales and the more can be charged for adverts. It seems odd, I can't believe they can't make a show this popular profitable even as wages increase.

This season feels painfully rushed and lacking all the, art for want of a better word, the art of war. How and why these armies were going to do it. Where several seasons ago Rob Stark would talk with a bunch of guys about why one plan is better than the other, this season skipped all that, the battles happened and it was instantly over. The politics and real planning is all missing but that is kind of what made the show.

Before we see episode 4 on Sunday night, I feel it'd be handy to brush up on "scale of things". Here's a map of Westeros with markers of where all the main players are at the end of episode 3. Key events up to Episode 3 to remember:

White Walkers are still somewhere beyond the wall
Jon Snow arrives at Dragonstone from Winterfell
Unsullied take Castle Rock
Euron Greyjoy destroys Unsullied fleet (after destroying Yara's and Sans Snakes fleet and delivering hostages to Cersei at King's Landing on the other side of the continent)
Jamie takes Highgarden

westeros1.jpg

Last edited:
How is this not discussing ep4?

I seriously didn't see the mod's post on the previous page (according to my account settings). I wasn't sure about discussion so I just hinted at the episode, foolishly still. Again, my sincere apologies.

I was given a suspension (or infraction I forget) for admitting to watching the leaked episode last season, didn't mention anything just said I'd watched it.

Frenchtart's wrath is akin to the mad king, don't test it. To that end I'm out until tomorrow night as I can't do 360p it isn't 2003 anymore and don't want to risk the spoilers.

difference is there were more storylines to follow then, we're now getting storylines to converge so the jumps in time between scenes are inevitably bigger - the jumps have always been there though... there is no reason why one scene within an episode to another within the same episode need be a longer or shorter jump in time between one at the end of an episode and the start of a new one say. It is always telling a big story through snapshots of key events in different arcs and as those arcs have converged then... well we're basically coming to the final climax of the series, less filler material and more events thus fewer episodes needed too

ironically people would complain about previous seasons being too slow initially

anyway, less than 12 hours to go now...

Yeah even in earlier series characters would zip around but you didn't notice as much as there were so many other character threads going on. Even GRRM himself says he plays fast and loose with time/distance in the books.

Back
Top Bottom