Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
so the jumps in time between scenes are inevitably bigger - the jumps have always been there though... ironically people would complain about previous seasons being too slow initially

See, I didn't say anything at all about jumps, but you knew exactly what to defend... :D

What I can promise you though (and bet on it) is that across the last four episodes of this season you won't be defending it any more - the timescale suspension/deux ex machina jumps that made Euron Greyjoy fleet beam up around the continent in a single day of siege of Casterly Rock - are going to get off the charts ridiculous, because the people putting these plots together have never in their lives seen a map of Westeros, do not have will and time to look at it and do not understand anything they piece together beyond plowing in a rush though footage, cashing in and wrapping this once "never in history of television" multimillion franchise to the bitter end across the last 11 episodes of the series at all cost. These people are now in "Lost" mode.

See, I didn't say anything at all about jumps, but you knew exactly what to defend... :D

What I can promise you though (and bet on it) is that across the last four episodes of this season you won't be defending it any more - the timescale suspension/deux ex machina jumps that made Euron Greyjoy fleet beam up around the continent in a single day of siege of Casterly Rock - are going to get off the charts ridiculous, because the people putting these plots together have never in their lives seen a map of Westeros, do not have will and time to look at it and do not understand anything they piece together beyond plowing in a rush though footage, cashing in and wrapping this once "never in history of television" multimillion franchise to the bitter end across the last 11 episodes of the series at all cost. These people are now in "Lost" mode.

Is Martin still consulting on this in any capacity? One would assume that's where the detail would come from.

Trying to push real world logic in a series with Dragons, magical undead snow people and a kid who can see literally everything past, present and future, never made sense to me. Sit back and enjoy the show and stop overthinking it.

Is Martin still consulting on this in any capacity? One would assume that's where the detail would come from.

He isn't consulting; D&D sat down with him and went through how the story pans out and presumably they had access to what he's written for WoW and then went off and have kept what they wanted to keep and changed what they want to change. Same destination in the end, but the route won't be the same... if Martin actually finishes his own story that is.

It was rather obvious what the map was getting at and you've made similar complaints in the past IIRC. I'm just pointing out that IMO they're rather misplaced as the show has always had different sized jumps in time between scenes, it just had more story arcs and more filler previously. I don't really agree with the complaints myself but I can understand that it troubles others conceptually.

The creators of the show are quite familiar with the map and likely more familiar with the source material than anyone posting in this thread.

He isn't consulting; D&D sat down with him and went through how the story pans out and presumably they had access to what he's written for WoW and then went off and have kept what they wanted to keep and changed what they want to change. Same destination in the end, but the route won't be the same... if Martin actually finishes his own story that is.

The latest rumblings seem to suggest he may finish both books next year, so they launch six months apart.
Publishers are probably desperate by now, want a boo and preferably both before the book trail goes completely cold, if its five years after the final TV season airs absolutely no one will care to read it, even if the path is different.

Spoilers for Sam hamirite....

eXfEH1cxFsOB5hSoNb4SO7uElD-n4CZXGskJ-3x7Sqc.jpg

:D

two Things. who says Euron was at Casterly rock we only saw ships, and he many have more than one fleet, the main one at kings landing and a smaller one protecting the iron islands and nipping down to wipe out the troop carriers at casterly rock

Yep, question is who is the spy? All of Tyrion's plans have somehow got out so someone is leaking info...

re-watched some of the previous seasons, and what i first thought of "a bit of hard luck" daenerys has had with the slave master attacking her when the city was at it weakest and the attack on her by the sons of the harpy, OR has the spy been working against her for a lot longer

The latest rumblings seem to suggest he may finish both books next year, so they launch six months apart.
Publishers are probably desperate by now, want a boo and preferably both before the book trail goes completely cold, if its five years after the final TV season airs absolutely no one will care to read it, even if the path is different.
I was just saying to the wife today that that'll be why they've published that random history lore book about Westeros. Gotta maintain interest somehow.

Trying to push real world logic in a series with Dragons, magical undead snow people and a kid who can see literally everything past, present and future, never made sense to me. Sit back and enjoy the show and stop overthinking it.
Verisimilitude, look it up. We've established that the world has dragons and the undead. We haven't established that Euron has secretly developed Diesel engines.

Although I'll grant you that Bran runs the risk of some hardcore shark jumping.

who says Euron was at Casterly rock we only saw ships, and he many have more than one fleet, the main one at kings landing and a smaller one protecting the iron islands and nipping down to wipe out the troop carriers at casterly rock

Look, I love the show too, but there is no defending it any more - especially after this episode - time and space continuum of the narration is lost. We might not particularly care how Jon Snow manages his 1600 mile journey from Winterfell to Dragonstone faster than Aria going 2/3rd of the distance in the opposite direction with a head start, because it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things - maybe he took a motorboat and it became one of those Top Gear features. We might overlook how Aria covered twice as much space as White Walkers had to Winterfell, and get there before them, because you know - that's the main payload of the season - we'll wait. We can speculate that Euron split his fleet in two or that his intel and fleet is omnipresent on all seas. We can keep coming up with excuses, but to put it simply - we weren't told, we weren't shown any of these things.

When they do the whole "Hey, where is Danny, donno, she was gone after lunch" shtick at the beach of Dragonstone - the plot get really shoddily complicated for no other reason than lazyness:
- Before Theon manage to return to the Dragonstone from where Euron sunk their fleet, Danny and Dorthraki cross the entire Bay in the opposite direction and get to the shores of Westeros.
- With what when both parts of her fleet are sunk by Euron?
- Even if some of the ships survived, how come Euron's omnipresent fleet allowed Danny and Dorthraki to go across the Blackwater Bay untouched?
- No intel reached Greysjoys or Lannisters? Satellite phones work in the middle of the night at Blackwater Bay, they work minutes after Unsullied storm the castle, but conveniently they don't work when Danny flies dragons across Crownlands?
- Consequently how does Danny and Dorthraki manage to cover hundreds of miles, sail or gallop past King's Landing and deep, deep inland to Blackwater's Rush and surprise Jamie, who apparently is still on the way in the opposite direction? How did she even know?

We aren't told how all of these things are possible not because plot runs fast and there is no time to tell us - there is time - this episode was only 46 minutes long from credits to credits, there was plenty of time to create time and space perspective with few extra scenes. We aren't told these things because the makers don't give a dragon's excrement anymore. They got 40% payrise from HBO for this season, they then decided to make themselves extra 30% bonus on top of payrise by shortening runtime from 10 to 7 episodes and still couldn't care enough to deliver coherent plot. They started resolving everything in the laziest of ways - "because", deus ex machina, right place, right time. How did she manage to get there so quick? How do all of these people now manage to be everywhere they inexplicably forsee the need to be, always in right places at the right time, all the time? "somehow". dealwithitmeme.gif

two Things
What's the second thing? :D

Last edited:
Well that was some ep 9 level quality :D but thanks to the random youtube notification earlier spoiling the ending thanks to the leaked episode. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom