Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Suddenly I have a craving for bbq..

H&S comes to westeros...I shudder at the thought :D.

warning_dragons_apron.jpg

Also Episode 4 abridged: http://imgur.com/a/TWGgF

Ha!

Christ stop moaning about the time travel. While it was good in the past seasons it's about time it moved forward a bit or we would all be sitting here watching people sit around a camp fire half while they take months to travel.

It can seem a bit rushed, but jesus I don't want another 5 seasons for walking about and some action. It's been 7 years, it's about time winter came and we seen some action.

It's not about taking time to travel, darn you guys are relentless, they robbed the story off three episodes in this season ( and four next season ), half the **** on the screen doesn't make sense in terms of cause and effect, one second they can't get 5 miles off the island without enemies knowing their exact GPS position, the next second hordes and dragons ride across half the country without anybody spotting them, armies and fleets magically beam up all over the place, every action becomes a success based on luck and serendipity, plot holes pile up like bodies around Jon Snow during Battle of Barstewards, but oh my god - there be dragons in this episode - yay, let's stand on our hands and clap with feet in glee and don't anyone dare to criticise the plot going ridiculous and infantile...

Good plot delivery doesn't exclude nice action scenes. There is no excuse for shoddy scripting and lazy plot devices in a 100 million a season show. End of.
Oh, don't worry, I think the plotting is awful as well at the moment. As I've said, they're down to a dozen bullet points of things that need to happen in the show and they're just drawing huge brush strokes to get there.

I was thinking just now about Arya fighting Brienne. Yes, it looks cool, but have we seen anything to suggest that Arya is quite that badass? No, we haven't. We saw her being trained as an assassin, but that's a far cry from being the greatest sword fighter ever seen. But hey, either we need a cool scene to fill two minutes or we need to establish that she's ridiculously capable so that she can take down, I don't know, the Mountain, so whatever, she's suddenly handy beyond belief.

Meeeeeeeh.

Whilst I understand some of the complaints about pacing (I share them myself to an extent) most the people in here complaining we could dig back a series and you would be complaining about it being too slow, they can't win.

With huge events occuringa regularly, something an author could get away with by splitting chapters and even simply dating a chapter, they cannot.

For those complaining about the timescales etc, what would prefer they do?

Oh, don't worry, I think the plotting is awful as well at the moment. As I've said, they're down to a dozen bullet points of things that need to happen in the show and they're just drawing huge brush strokes to get there.

I was thinking just now about Arya fighting Brienne. Yes, it looks cool, but have we seen anything to suggest that Arya is quite that badass? No, we haven't. We saw her being trained as an assassin, but that's a far cry from being the greatest sword fighter ever seen. But hey, either we need a cool scene to fill two minutes or we need to establish that she's ridiculously capable so that she can take down, I don't know, the Mountain, so whatever, she's suddenly handy beyond belief.

Meeeeeeeh.

But she's not the greatest sword fighter ever seen. She is simply using a combat style that Brienne and likely most of Westoros just haven't encountered.

Whilst I understand some of the complaints about pacing (I share them myself to an extent) most the people in here complaining we could dig back a series and you would be complaining about it being too slow, they can't win.

With huge events occuringa regularly, something an author could get away with by splitting chapters and even simply dating a chapter, they cannot.

I'd rather they took their time, but then I don't have the attention span of a goldfish. Sadly it seems time is against them for some reason, be it due to the lack of source material, money, getting the cast together... who knows.

@Vonhelmet - I don't know how you can say that we haven't established Arya is a bad ass... she went through loads of training, was sword trained in the first series, fought with the staff whilst being trained, killed someone in the pitch black (i.e blind), has killed loads of people... it's obvious she has the skills... and even then she didn't beat Bren so it's not like she's 'overpowered'.

Would it really be necessary to show only more than what we have seen? I think you've set yourself up to be annoyed if that bothered you. I viewed it as Arya demonstrating how skilled she is - was that not the whole point of the scene? Would you prefer a Rocky IV montage? :p

I'd rather they took their time, but then I don't have the attention span of a goldfish. Sadly it seems time is against them for some reason, be it due to the lack of source material, money, getting the cast together... who knows.

What a pathetic veiled insult "I'm real grown up but and love complex things but throw childish hissy fits and make snarky comments at people!!" :rolleyes:

It is nothing to do with pacing, it would quite literally be filled in with empty nonesense talk as it is the end of it all, drawing it out spending an episode with literally nothing happening for an hour just so you can feel all warm inside that a completely made up show adheres to it's made up geography. The show would be getting hammered in both ratings and viewer feedback if so far this season we had say, 2 battles, but don't worry about 4 episodes of filler! We can have another battle next week (before another 3 weeks of filler whilst armies reposition themselves)

Get a grip, I'm not a huge fan of the pacing but they do not have the tools an author has to write off a huge period of time with a few words, or maybe the show can be dominated by a black screen saying "one week later!" every 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

What a pathetic veiled insult "I'm real grown up but and love complex things but throw childish hissy fits and make snarky comments at people!!" :rolleyes:

Whatever. It's been complicated enough this far, so it's a shame for it to lose its depth now. People have whinged any time we've had a "slow" episode. If you want endless fight scenes I'm sure you can find something else to watch, but the series - and certainly the books - have always been about more than that.

No1newts said:
It is nothing to do with pacing, it would quite literally be filled in with empty nonesense talk as it is the end of it all, drawing it out spending an episode with literally nothing happening for an hour just so you can feel all warm inside that a completely made up show adheres to it's made up geography. The show would be getting hammered in both ratings and viewer feedback if so far this season we had say, 2 battles, but don't worry about 4 episodes of filler! We can have another battle next week (before another 3 weeks of filler whilst armies reposition themselves)

Right, and I'm sure when the books finally come out they'll be this poorly structured and will disregard their own internal logic and rules. Oh yeah, and they'll be skinny little things you can read in one sitting :rolleyes:

No1newts said:
Get a grip, I'm not a huge fan of the pacing but they do not have the tools an author has to write off a huge period of time with a few words, or maybe the show can be dominated by a black screen saying "one week later!" every 5 minutes. :rolleyes:
They managed to demonstrate the passage of time a lot better earlier on in the series. They're rushing now.

I suppose the reason they're doing short seasons to finish is because they have nothing to put in them because there's no source material. It's a shame they're compelled to keep pressing on with a new series each year when there's nothing to work from.

Last edited:
I do enjoy the references/nods to previous events or conversations. There were a lot of throwbacks to Robert in that episode;

"They never tell ya how they all **** themselves. They don't put that part in the songs."

"Only a fool would meet the Dothraki in an open field."

"He came running at me, this dumb highborn lad, thinking he could end the rebellion with a single swing of his sword."

Also enjoyed Bran saying "Chaos is a ladder" to Littlefinger. Wonder if the latter will see it as a coincidence or something more sinister.

And when Brienne asked Arya who taught her to fight like that, she replies "No-one".

Good stuff.

Also Ser Davos with 'fewer'.

In addition to cutting three episodes from this series, the producers cut 14 minutes runtime from this episode (shortest ep in history of GoT, true story). So - how much backstory, 'journey time' pan shots or setups better than 'and as the horde gallopped without any intel across one of the hills in the land they never surveyed before they suddenly see entire Lannister army just scratching balls conveniently unprepared' could you possibly fit in those missing 14 minutes? Well, just imagine that the entire Battle of Blackwater Run you witnessed at the end of the episode - from the moment Bronn says "listen" to the end credits - is just 11 minutes and 30 seconds. That's how much story you can tell across few minutes if you give a dragons excrement about your audience...

@Vonhelmet - I don't know how you can say that we haven't established Arya is a bad ass... she went through loads of training, was sword trained in the first series, fought with the staff whilst being trained, killed someone in the pitch black (i.e blind), has killed loads of people... it's obvious she has the skills...

Meanwhile Brienne of Tarth, unusually tall and strong even among Westerosi men, martial trained since kid, survivor of countless military pursuits, wars and battles, the woman to duel Loras Tyrell, Jaime Lannister and Sandor Clegane, turns out to be just a girl that was taught to sit straight and look pretty, because lil Arya had a few lessons with Syrio back in a day? The truth however is - Arya's reincarnation of Rey from galaxy far, far away :D

Back
Top Bottom