Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@Vonhelmet - I don't know how you can say that we haven't established Arya is a bad ass... she went through loads of training, was sword trained in the first series, fought with the staff whilst being trained, killed someone in the pitch black (i.e blind), has killed loads of people... it's obvious she has the skills... and even then she didn't beat Bren so it's not like she's 'overpowered'.

Would it really be necessary to show only more than what we have seen? I think you've set yourself up to be annoyed if that bothered you. I viewed it as Arya demonstrating how skilled she is - was that not the whole point of the scene? Would you prefer a Rocky IV montage? :p
You don't need a montage :p You just need bits here and there. And no, I don't think her limited sword training with Syrio and then the assassin training in Braavos is in the same realm as that sort of sword fighting. We've not seen her do anything like that before or train for anything like that.

Wow! my heart was in my mouth most of that episode.... So many people i DONT want to die dammit.

Thought either Bronn or Jaime were done for :( But thank the 7 Jaime was saved (by Bronn?) at the last second....jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez. Back down to amber alert. *phew* !!!!!!!!!!

Wow! my heart was in my mouth most of that episode.... So many people i DONT want to die dammit.

Thought either Bronn or Jaime were done for :( But thank the 7 Jaime was saved (by Bronn?) at the last second....jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez. Back down to amber alert. *phew* !!!!!!!!!!

There is no way Jaime has died, you don't save him from being burnt to a crisp only to have him killed drowned. He is fineeeeeeeeeeeee.

Whatever. It's been complicated enough this far, so it's a shame for it to lose its depth now. People have whinged any time we've had a "slow" episode. If you want endless fight scenes I'm sure you can find something else to watch, but the series - and certainly the books - have always been about more than that.

Ok, let's give you some credence for a moment. What would these episodes have been filled with? Using your logic of battle travel by now we are 4 episodes in and we have had one naval battle, living by the lofic of travel you hold so dear. So now please tell me what will fill the other 3 hours and 45 minutes apart from marching armies?

Right, and I'm sure when the books finally come out they'll be this poorly structured and will disregard their own internal logic and rules. Oh yeah, and they'll be skinny little things you can read in one sitting :rolleyes:

Disregarding the fact the books will probably never come out which is why we are in the situation of the show writing it themselves, as I pointed out in every post books have much easier narrative tools to tell the passage of time which readers are much more forgiving about. I find it amusing you hold the books up as a good pacing comparrison considering the pasting the last 3 have had for their pacing, namely that they are full of guff with the odd thing happening of any meaning. (the Dornish lord travelling to Danny being the most mind numbingly pointless of them all)

To pace it out in a book you date chapters to purposefully skip filller (what GRRM was going to do with books 3-5 until he saw dollar signs)

They managed to demonstrate the passage of time a lot better earlier on in the series. They're rushing now.

I suppose the reason they're doing short seasons to finish is because they have nothing to put in them because there's no source material. It's a shame they're compelled to keep pressing on with a new series each year when there's nothing to work from.

And they were regularly battered for it being too slow (just read this thread back) so how can they win?

The issue they have is there will probably never be anything to write from, GRRM is now involved in writing his new TV show (the name escapes me) he is writing prequels based on Dunk and Egg and printing garbage mapp based books and other trash. For a long time people have said he doesn't know how he wants to finish the series hence him drawing it out so long (just look at the publishing date gaps for that) the more plausable answer is he is a money grabbing swine who only wants cash and doesn't particularly care about the story. This presumption is pretty well backed up by his actions and the fact he turned a 3 book series into (what will be) an unfinished 7-8 book series as he was offered a tonne of cash to do so. He had nothing written between books 2 and the new one, which still isn't written, but instead of telling the tale he wanted he went after the money and shafted the readers in the process.

He is more than entitled to do so, his life, but if you see the television series as poorly put together at the end he is equally as culpable.

The criticism isn't so much they are rushing it is the change of speed compared to previous seasons. People saying they are rushing is because of the slow pace they set earlier on. If the entire show is set in the current pace then that would be just 1 speed and no one would be the wiser.

I don't mind the current pace, I like it, it keeps things moving, and honestly I can't wait for the end!

Yep, that's pretty much the gold standard when it comes to battles involving dragons. Absolutely epic.

I've got a feeling that crossbow was poisoned though and Drogon will die slowly.

I agree that they ****** up when it came to Arya's training, but let's not act like she 'beat' Brienne. They were sparring lightly. Brienne would not stop to grimace because her hand was pricked in a real fight and neither is she going to go 100% against a young girl she was sworn to protect. She could easily crush her if she wanted, but that wasn't the purpose of the scene.

Last edited:
******* awesome episode. Am I the only one who, when Drogon appeared out of the clouds above the charging horde and began to lay fiery waste to all and sunder, started hearing CCR's 'Fortunate Son' in their head?

I agree that they ****** up when it came to Arya's training, but let's not act like she 'beat' Brienne. They were sparring lightly. Brienne would not stop to grimace because her hand was pricked in a real fight and neither is she going to go 100% against a young girl she was sworn to protect. She could easily crush her if she wanted, but that wasn't the purpose of the scene.
That's how I saw it. She was playing with her but then she fought back hard. She ramped it up a bit but she didn't go full on.
Arya is very skilled though but technically.

In addition to cutting three episodes from this series, the producers cut 14 minutes runtime from this episode (shortest ep in history of GoT, true story). So - how much backstory, 'journey time' pan shots or setups better than 'and as the horde gallopped without any intel across one of the hills in the land they never surveyed before they suddenly see entire Lannister army just scratching balls conveniently unprepared' could you possibly fit in those missing 14 minutes? Well, just imagine that the entire Battle of Blackwater Run you witnessed at the end of the episode - from the moment Bronn says "listen" to the end credits - is just 11 minutes and 30 seconds. That's how much story you can tell across few minutes if you give a dragons excrement about your audience...

Meanwhile Brienne of Tarth, unusually tall and strong even among Westerosi men, martial trained since kid, survivor of countless military pursuits, wars and battles, the woman to duel Loras Tyrell, Jaime Lannister and Sandor Clegane, turns out to be just a girl that was taught to sit straight and look pretty, because lil Arya had a few lessons with Syrio back in a day? The truth however is - Arya's reincarnation of Rey from galaxy far, far away :D

I'm not a huge fan of the pacing (despite me defence :p) but to set it up would have been rather limited "scouting" scenes which would have ruined the suspense/surprise of the attack which was an amazing moment when they crested the hill (IMO)

I fully agree the pacing is a bit off but my point isn't so much defending it as saying that they can't win as the last 5 years everyone has complained it's been too slow :p

Back
Top Bottom