Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If one dragon dies near the night king, we're gonna be in trouble.

that actually opens up a possibility, re the prediction for the end of the season:

(again in spoilers as based on something not everyone will have noticed)

as previously mentioned the sea by east watch is frozen in the intro sequence to the episodes this season, so presumably the dead can just walk around the wall at some point... this would seem to make sense for the final episode cliff hanger

if a dragon dies, will it spit out super cool breath instead of fire... I did assume the sea would just freeze due to winter but perhaps an undead dragon could cause the same?

But that has been done now. Are you saying it needs to be done more on the same characters? Personally I don't think it does.

I'm not saying we need as much as there was in earlier seasons as they have to introduce you to the character and fill in some of the backstory etc. but yes, I think we need more. Take my example above, Daenerys is appreciably upset to say goodbye to Jorah because, as far as she knows, it is their final goodbye and he is going off to die. So effectively in this weeks episode one of her closest friends, advisors, allies comes back from the dead and we get a hug - that's it. Is Daenerys actually happy that Jorah is back? or has she become so cold, heartless, ruthless or whatever since he left that his return doesn't mean all that much?

This doesn't only apply to Daenerys and Jorah though, the whole Stark re-union, Jamie and Tyrion and the re-introduction of Gendry have all been glossed over. I think the most emotional re-union scene we've had this season was Arya and her wolf. As I said I'm not saying we need much but a few lines here and there - A few lines Tyrion re-directing Jamie's anger towards him to the fact there is something bigger going on with the White Walkers.

I'm happy people finally see it. We were told they shortened the seasons because there was not enough material and they wanted to do it justice. Clearly bull - there is no way to wrap up all the threads in 8 hours. Change of pace is massive vs previous seasons, but even episode to episode it is speeding and rushing like it was made by EA and there were multiple DLC's just round the corner. They just can't do it justice.

All seems a bit silly then to have 3 dragons but can't split their efforts between 2 or even 3 locations considering how fast they zip around the world. She had no issue taking 1 to that battle and leaving the other 2 behind to defend. The lannister army look like they could barely defeat the dothraki without a dragon involved anyway :p

She has control over Drogon but they're ultimately all like big dogs - she can tell the other two to come with her/stay put, but they're not going to go off elsewhere with other characters and do their bidding - they only listen to their mother.

I'm happy people finally see it. We were told they shortened the seasons because there was not enough material and they wanted to do it justice. Clearly bull - there is no way to wrap up all the threads in 8 hours.

It isn't a question of seeing it, it is a question of whether people consider it to be a problem, I'd wager plenty of people are perfectly happy with it. It isn't clearly bull either, HBO would have loved for them to have 2 full seasons or more, it is a massively profitable show, if they'd wanted to drag it on they could have done so easily.

Ironically a lot of the moaning previously was about the plot moving too slowly, yet now the story arcs have converged we get moaning about how it is moving quickly. Some people will never be happy and will find something to nitpick or bitch about re: any show, even one that is currently the best thing on TV.

It isn't a question of seeing it, it is a question of whether people consider it to be a problem, I'd wager plenty of people are perfectly happy with it. It isn't clearly bull either, HBO would have loved for them to have 2 full seasons or more, it is a massively profitable show, if they'd wanted to drag it on they could have done so easily.

Ironically a lot of the moaning previously was about the plot moving too slowly, yet now the story arcs have converged we get moaning about how it is moving quickly. Some people will never be happy and will find something to nitpick or bitch about re: any show, even one that is currently the best thing on TV.

D&D wanted to wrap it up in 7 series because they didn't feel like they had enough material to make any more. HBO wanted 8, so they ended up meeting in the middle by having 7 this season, 6 the next. What I think's happening now is that they're quickly getting all the pieces into the right positions for the final chapter so that they can actually take a bit more time with the conclusion, as this breakneck pace can't really continue if there's still 8+ hours of story left.

It's definitely not a perfect juggling act - I don't miss almost pointless filler like Jamie/Bronn in Dorne or Dany spending pretty much 2 series not doing much, but being super-economical with character scenes (trying to convey a lot of emotion and subtext with less dialogue etc) does make me yearn for more and is a testament to how invested in the characters I am at this point!

I'm not saying we need as much as there was in earlier seasons as they have to introduce you to the character and fill in some of the backstory etc. but yes, I think we need more. Take my example above, Daenerys is appreciably upset to say goodbye to Jorah because, as far as she knows, it is their final goodbye and he is going off to die. So effectively in this weeks episode one of her closest friends, advisors, allies comes back from the dead and we get a hug - that's it. Is Daenerys actually happy that Jorah is back? or has she become so cold, heartless, ruthless or whatever since he left that his return doesn't mean all that much?

Was clearly very happy to have him back. :confused:

D&D wanted to wrap it up in 7 series because they didn't feel like they had enough material to make any more. HBO wanted 8, so they ended up meeting in the middle by having 7 this season, 6 the next. What I think's happening now is that they're quickly getting all the pieces into the right positions for the final chapter so that they can actually take a bit more time with the conclusion, as this breakneck pace can't really continue if there's still 8+ hours of story left.

Well that is the point I was making, HBO's preference would have been for more.... Point is it isn't bull as the other poster asserted, the shows creators could have had two full seasons (or probably more)if they'd wanted it, they didn't want it as they don't believe it is needed to finish the story. (they were considering both two short seasons or one long one AFAIK). The breakneck pace is party simply stories converging and events taking place all over the map, I think they're fine not to put in pointless filler material.

Well that is the point I was making, HBO's preference would have been for more.... Point is it isn't bull as the other poster asserted, the shows creators could have had two full seasons (or probably more)if they'd wanted it, they didn't want it as they don't believe it is needed to finish the story. (they were considering both two short seasons or one long one AFAIK). The breakneck pace is party simply stories converging and events taking place all over the map, I think they're fine not to put in pointless filler material.

Oh yeah for sure, there's less characters now, they're all together more or less - the most filler-y stuff we're getting is most of the Littlefinger story, to me it isn't serving any purpose other than padding since I can't see how he plays any part in the end game (that Ayra quote from the season promos about how 'the lone wolf dies while the pack survives'...) other than being a nuisance, and we don't have time for nuisances. I'd have rather spend a few more minutes with the Tyrion/Jamie scene than this playing-off the Stark sisters thing they're dragging out.

They wont be able to win. Problem is, you reign the storyline in for one character and spend more time on it you will then have to artificially pad and slow the plot points of another characters story which is already running slowly because at some point they intertwine. This will just have knock on effect to the next and so on.

It's not so bad when there's only one or two super big events in a season but even then you end up with characters like Bran getting parked for an entire year! Now they're coming into the home straight and a huge number of events are happening with multiple major characters coming together almost every episode. There's simply no way in a tv format, where they're trying not to have overlapping timelines, for the pace not to pick up.
If nothing important happens while Jon travels from Dragonstone back to Eastwatch then we shouldn't see it. If you want a delay before he gets there to show passage of time, for no other reason to show the passage of time, then other characters will have to fill that void. But if they themselves are waiting for him before their story can continue what can they do to fill it? Nothing, just get on with the story.

Back
Top Bottom