Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All this jumping of time is simply down to there being no material to base the filler parts on. The writers are obviously not wanting/able to expanded the key points they have been given, so it is now simply the key points that have been planned to get to the ending.

Good episode though.

Is it me or did they seriously miss a trick here? season break (ok won't make everyone happy) and fill in with a mini series like 20 minute episodes of Jon Snow and his band heading out - an interesting bunch of characters that could easily fill a few hours of content and an interesting enough premise even if its in the depth of a snowy wasteland.

they've been moving all over the place as already mentioned

Yes yes, to Fist of the First Men, and Crastors Keep, and that tree place etc. Doesn't matter. If Jon can travel half a continent within the same episode then your explanation is a hard sell, even if the aforementioned events of the WW were staggered over the course of the series.

Example - Sam was behind a rock at the end of season 3/4, where he witnessed with WW army matching towards to the wall. Why did it take them a whole season to double back up to the three eyed raven or wherever it was they went next?

True, but it was stated "No soldiers, burning wrecks, or Dragons - nothing." Just saying, there were flames and smoke visible, so not like the came up no-where near.

Really? I said when they resurfaced there was nothing of what I said. Not miles away.

I thought that was pretty obvious..

Yes yes, to Fist of the First Men, and Crastors Keep, and that tree place etc. Doesn't matter. If Jon can travel half a continent within the same episode then your explanation is a hard sell, even if the aforementioned events of the WW were staggered over the course of the series.

It isn't really a hard sell at all, it isn't like it is a race? They're likely well aware the wall exists and presently they can't get past it, they've not shown any intention of wanting to go towards it en masse, yet... the whole argument is just misplaced. As you've now acknowledged they're moving around beyond the wall, that isn't 'my' explanation that is simply stating the facts of what they've done in the story.

I really don't understand what your argument is there - Cersei has spent most of the time in Kings Landing - is that also somehow a 'hard sell' because she's not been moving around the map as much as Jon?

Example - Sam was behind a rock at the end of season 3/4, where he witnessed with WW army matching towards to the wall. Why did it take them a whole season to double back up to the three eyed raven or wherever it was they went next?

it didn't, they appeared after Bran was spotted by the nights king in his vision and left a mark on him, they couldn't do anything to them in the cave prior to that

Last edited:
Remind me, what does the Night King do to living folks?
We've seen him touch babies and turn them into white walkers, but have we see any other effects or powers that he has directly, up until now most of his fighting has been by the wights and the white walkers.

Well that is the point I was making, HBO's preference would have been for more.... Point is it isn't bull as the other poster asserted, the shows creators could have had two full seasons (or probably more)if they'd wanted it, they didn't want it as they don't believe it is needed to finish the story. (they were considering both two short seasons or one long one AFAIK). The breakneck pace is party simply stories converging and events taking place all over the map, I think they're fine not to put in pointless filler material.

You keep talking yourself into this "I'm so happy they shortened best TV show ever" bizarro cheer, but trust me, by the end of this season you'll see it too for what it is.

If nothing important happens while Jon travels from Dragonstone back to Eastwatch then we shouldn't see it. If you want a delay before he gets there to show passage of time, for no other reason to show the passage of time, then other characters will have to fill that void. But if they themselves are waiting for him before their story can continue what can they do to fill it? Nothing, just get on with the story.

They used to spend so much time showing us staging and travels because RR's story was detailed, there was a plan behind revolving door of characters. He was clever enough not to burn time - there was always something or someone to introduce on the way, someone to duel, some weapon or skill to pick up, some camaraderie or enemy to establish. For six years there was no journey shown on your screen that wouldn't lead somewhere or mean something. It was like Band of Brothers D-day to Berlin every time someone moved across that map.

It's quite clear that once RR's material and then drafts dried out they had no idea how to continue. The plot this season (visuals aside) is like your fan fiction attempts - skin deep, rough sketch, very little sense, and it feels as if with all the secrecy it's not even proof read or checked for major plotholes.
They have no idea what to do with most introduced locations and characters still in rotation. With just one liner pointers from Martin they do absolute minimum requirwd. It's all shallow, skin deep - like kids doing carpet play scenarios - when Hound travels and bullet point calls for redemption, the best these tweets can come up with is that he gets to the same house he visited with Arya in previous season and has 5 seconds of pouty-pouty, when Arya travels the best they could do was to get to the same tavern she left Hotpie at. And when Jon or armies travel - they just teleport. That's ridiculous. There are enough threads to tie up for their journeys to be eventful just like in old seasons - there are people on Arya's list, there are people the Hound wants to fight, third and fourth cast line villains, vassals and allies. There are castles and keeps all the way between King's Landing and Casterly Rock to last for full season of epic battles, heck, over the last few pages we - you, me, few other posters, came up with better ideas than people who are paid millions to create proper plot and ending for this show present to us week to week.

The point is - these seasons aren't shorter because there is no story to tell. They are shorter because these people don't want to tell them to you for any fandom or money. They want to cash out. At all cost. That's it.

And I'm gonna go ahead and say what a lot of us are thinking:

If this show is not to end up like Lost or Leftovers, with only 8 hours to the end, that's barely enough time to wrap up major payoffs and stage final battle with White Walkers and then battle among each other for Westeros. So WTF are they doing sending some sort of fellowship of the ring to capture one walker behind the wall? Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, if we had couple more full seasons ahead of us, but there is literally no time to do another trip behind the wall and do it justice without creating more plot holes and teleportations. 8 episodes to go. Lord of the Rings needed 9 hours to arrange such trip with 1/4 of plot luggage GoT carries by now. That team cannot possibly go up north and return, show the specimen to everyone Westeros and prep for war faster than army of walkers that don't have to eat or sleep following towards the wall, no matter how much trouble they have with Russian GPS. Then you have the sheer amount of character send offs among secondary cast - the numbers are so large that most will have to be either ignored or completely half baked resolutions and/or rushed write offs. Of characters we watched and followed for better part of a decade. Unless the whole plan is to end it all unresolved. There they stand, white walkers on one side of the valley, humans on the other. Horses move forward. End credits.

Last edited:
Really? I said when they resurfaced there was nothing of what I said. Not miles away.

I thought that was pretty obvious..

I don't know what you said, I don't know who said it now even, I don't really care. Someone said "No soldiers, burning wrecks, or Dragons - nothing." and I showed a picture of them coming out of the water with smoke and fire in the background. If you're suggesting they should have come out and had soldiers, dragons and burning wrecks were they actually came out of the water, that would be pretty stupid, wouldn't it? **EDIT** In fact, don't worry, tbh I'm getting a little bored with the 'time it takes' moaners. The fact they swam across a river/lake to escape really isn't a big issue either. People are now just looking to moan at things. I'll just start setting some to ignore, starting here. Thanks.

@v0n We get it, you don't like it.

Please can we move on from constantly moaning about the time jumps? Who knows, they could smash it out of the park in the final 8 episodes or it could fail miserably.

At this point there's little point complaining as they've already committed to the decision for shorter seasons so there will be trade offs.

If this show is not to end up like Lost or Leftovers, with only 8 hours to the end, that's barely enough time to wrap up major payoffs and stage final battle with White Walkers and then battle among each other for Westeros. So WTF are they doing sending some sort of fellowship of the ring to capture one walker behind the wall?

But you're moaning about the ending and it's not even happened yet?! Don't get me wrong, I know what you're saying, it's going to be hard to finish it all up in 8 episodes, but I'm not going to moan about it being a bad ending until it actually is a bad ending. We don't know what's planned. I'm not saying I think it'll be amazing, but it could be... we don't know until we get it...

**EDIT**

@v0nPlease can we move on from constantly moaning about the time jumps? Who knows, they could smash it out of the park in the final 8 episodes or it could fail miserably.

Damn it. Spent too long reading the thread. Basically what I was thinking.

**EDIT2** To clarify, yes, I can see the pace has changed, yes it's different and more like an 'ordinary action packed TV show now' where people appear out of no-where when you wonder how they got there, but I'm still enjoying it and still eager to see how it all finishes.

@v0n We get it, you don't like it.

Please can we move on from constantly moaning about the time jumps?

EVH, check the last few pages - we moved on, we were way past it, I never re-moan anything unprovoked. :howdareyousmiley:

But then... wait... this is internet forum. It has literally no other purpose than be the platform for us gits moaning. Don't be like that - let us do what we do best.

Moving on..

What did the scroll in little fingers chamber say?

Edit - nvm it's the one from season 1 that sansa writes under duress.

Last edited:
WILL SHE FALL INTO THE OBVIOUS TRAP OR WILL THE TRAP BE TURNED.

FIND OUT NEXT WEEK ON EASTENDERS GAME OF THRONES :eek:

Could be the set up for get an amazingly clumsy scene between the sisters as they both claim backstabbing while also refusing to listen to the other. Littlefinger giggling in the corner watching.

It'd better not be. Still, someone wrote in some initial bitchiness between them last episode.

Back
Top Bottom