World Cup 2010 - GROUP C (England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia) **spoilers**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
Except he wasn't, he looked shaky and out of position on numerous occasions, and that was Algeria...

Upson has more recent international experience than Carragher.

Relevant experience and pace vs non-relevant (or at least less relevant) domestic experience...

lol

I'd love to know any examples you have of Carra being shaky and out of position against Algeria. He had a edgy game vs USA but so did a lot of the side, against Algeria though he was rock solid despite being left 1 on 1 several times when Johnson was caught up field.

Also I'm not sure how you can even joke about Upson having the edge in the experience stakes. Carra's played (and often put in his best performances) in high pressured CL games and Cup finals, as well as having nearly double the caps of Upson. To say that's not relevant is nonsense.

edit: And Upson is hardly quick, is he? He had a decent enough game vs Solvenia but his distribution was poor and made a couple of crazy decisions (like coming out of defense to win the ball on the edge of the oppo's area).

Soldato
England, despite not losing were utterly ****ing dreadful, in a really weak group. Second! In a group that poor.

Even in the last game, I didn't think England played "that" well, they just looked good as Slovenia game them more time / space on the ball then Algeria / USA.

Against hard working / organised midfields (Algeria, Mexico, Japan, USA, Egypt, Brazil, Spain) have all completely taken the English midfield out of the game.

Do agree, yesterday did seem quite a good performance against the abominations of the previous two games, but England weren't really that good yesterday and scraped an edgy 1 - 0 against a country with 400 footballers. It wasn't a good performance really, Slovenia were woeful and gave us all the freedom we wanted

Caporegime
Will performances like that we CAN trouble any team. We passed the ball well, defended well and gave the opponents no time on the ball.

No.

We were already destroyed by Brasil / Spain.

Egypt, Mexico, Japan, Algeria, USA have all completely dominated and nullified the England midfield. The Defence isn't good enough. Rooney off form. Nothing in the midfield.

One better performance doesn't make England all conquering.

I want England to do well, I really do, but with this squad, with Capello having the "Real Madrid" approach and the way we have been playing. No chance :(

Caporegime
It's typical of England fans to pick apart every single pass from our players and then ignore teams and players playing equally as mediocre in other teams. Then write our players off as 'not world class' while kneeling infront of a messi or ronaldo. OMG rooney hasn't scored in 7 he's rubbish not world class etc. Not once did you hear how ronaldo hadn't scored in nearly 2 years and one he did scored rolled off his back!

Messi has been poor at two world cups now. No mention of him not being world class.

England fans on here especially seem to pick on players of a specific team. Rooney has become a scapegoat even though his service has been incredibly poor and lots of the players are playing in a format that doesn't suit their abilities.

Milner is being heralded as a great yet only one of his crosses found anyone, yep it led to a goal which funnily enough was the only time dafoe did anything of note.

Personally I don't think anyone should be sounded out as scapegoat because they have all been pretty poor so far in every game except maybe Ashley Cole and James.

All of a sudden Joe Cole has become the England saviour, a player with little end product and has rarely taken an england game by storm.

That said I dont think any of the teams have been good this year, the argies are average as well.

Caporegime
Messi Poor?

Anyway, just thought I'd make a bit clearer the "Real Madrid" Comment I made if anyone was interested.

It's having "big" players (okay we don't have a Zidane, Figo et all) Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Barry et all, are all just thrown on to the pitch, despite not being played in their natural positions or played in a system that suits them, just thrown on and something is expected to happen.

Capello, could have changed the system to suit the players, could have dropped players to suit the system. It's just Capello not having the balls to do it, It's Sven all over again. Except with much tougher rules off the pitch.

/rant.

Just to make it clearer, if that helped :p

Don
...Then write our players off as 'not world class' while kneeling infront of a messi or ronaldo.....

Gerrard, Rooney, Terry, Lampard world class my backside.
England fans on here especially seem to pick on players of a specific team. Rooney has become a scapegoat even though his service has been incredibly poor and lots of the players are playing in a format that doesn't suit their abilities.

Rooney laid the ball off and didn't move. Bench that **** for the next game will you.

;)

Man of Honour
Beckenbauer is up to his tricks again:

"Stupidly, the English have slipped up a little by finishing second in their group," said German great Beckenbauer.

"The English look a little tired... they are burnt out. We respect them but we certainly don't fear them."

Source

Typical Kraut, he wants another war so we'll give him one and win. :D

Soldato
^ ^ He's upset because we won both World Wars and a World Cup. Thanks to the Americans (again) we will have our day on Sunday!!

I thought that yesterdays match was a marked improvement. I hope the lineup doesn't change much. Keep Heskey OFF the pitch please Capello!!

I thought Defoe has deserved a chance to play for so long given his form this season and within 25 minutes he proved himself. Not only that but he was working HARD all game, pressuring the keeper all the time, etc. He played with real spirit.

Keep the lank-meisters (Heskey + Crouch) off the pitch so we don't keep hoofing it up, hoping every time that it will get to a bigger player.

The path to the final is a tough one. It would be amazing to see England beat off Germany, Argentina, Spain and Brazil to become champions. How justified and revenge filled would that be?

Roll on Sunday!

Caporegime
You just said Messi has been poor in two world cups, therefore I stopped reading 'cos you've obviously not watched either

Clearly neither have you. He didn't play as much as he did in this one but he was dissapointing for me and has been in this one.

I got angry with the woefull performance when I calm down I see things much clearer. Luckily I can do that, some just carry on banging out the same tune regardless.

Last edited:
Soldato
Clearly neither have you. He didn't play as much as he did in this one but he was dissapointing for me and has been in this one.

I got angry with the woefull performance when I calm down I see things much clearer. Luckily I can do that, some just carry on banging out the same tune regardless.

Messi has been Argentina's MoM in all 3 games probably (I know Hig got in for his hat trick, but Messi was better in that game). He's always on the ball and constantly starting attacks. He has 3 assists in the group stages. England haven't even scored that many in the easiest group. He has probably been the single best player at the tournament so far, can't think of anybody else that has played so well in all 3 games.

Don

I know, I was messing around.

You're spot on with your post though; football fans are fickle at the best of times but when it comes to England it's 10x worse. Add to that the ways some people can't put aside their allegiances to their clubs and it becomes ridiculous.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that the kind of support England get from their so called supporters is a joke. Unfortunately in the 'sky generation', real supporters are in the minority.

Associate
Got this in an Email- difference in opinion! RTE=Ireland's BBC.

RTE v BBC

Hansen: “Once England got the goal the confidence levels surged, they were excellent.”

Eamon Dunphy: “They just didn’t grow in confidence at all after the goal.”

Lineker: “The goal really settled them, didn’t it? They pushed on from there.”

Ronnie Whelan: “You’d think they’d have kicked on from when they scored, but they actually got worse.”

Roy Hogsen: “England’s crossing has been absolutely outstanding.”

Giles: “Some of the crossing was just awful.”

Shearer: “Rooney looks more confident, he’s getting around the pitch a lot better.”

Dunphy: “It’s shocking to see Rooney so subdued, he’s been reduced to a shivering wreck.”

Shearer: “They look much more comfortable on the ball, they’re passing it with a purpose, with pace, they’re closing down – a much better performance, it’s encouraging.”

Giles: “They’re much better than they have been, but they couldn’t have been worse.”

No arguments, then. Second half. England held on. Full-time. Ready?

Lee Dixon: “A great performance.”

Dunphy: “Shocking . . . absolutely incredibly bad . . . pretty awful stuff.”

Hansen: “The commitment was there, the spirit was there, the enterprise was there, the creativity was there, they passed it better – they could have scored five or six quite easily. Capello will obviously be delighted with the performance.”

Giles: “If that’s the shackles off what’ll they be like when the shackles are back on?”

’Arry Redknapp: “We played with pace, we got after them, we pressed them, there wasn’t a weakness in the team.”

Dunphy: “They were astonishingly poor.”

Lineker: “He looked more like the Rooney we know.”

Ronnie: “Rooney is a major worry, his form, his body language, his demeanour, everything.”

Dixon: “Gerrard was outstanding.”

Dunphy: “I can’t believe how bad Gerrard was today.”

’Arry: “Across midfield we were top drawer.”

Giles: “Barry got worse as the game went on, Milner, Gerrard and Lampard the same.”

’Arry: “Bring it on! Whoever we play we’ll be difficult to beat.”

Ronnie: “If they don’t improve they’ll go straight out, it was a very, very inept performance.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom