World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

144hz will be a bit of a let down as I’m doing a big upgrade later in the year and getting the 4xxx series Nvidia card so I was looking to push to as close to 175hz as I could. Hmm idk if the price of the G2 was lower I might be tempted to switch to this. I’m sure I would be happy with either one though.

39f36j.gif

:cry:

I hear the Samsung G8 (240hz?) is highly regarded :p:cry::D

On a serious note I know what you mean, but for me it makes very little difference as I am even happy at 60hz which is what I have been on since forever. All I want is 120hz at least and I am happy, the rest is a bonus.

Yeah of course, my point was more that marketing this as a "175hz monitor" is similar to marketing a 3050ti as a "4k GPU"... sure it will do 4k, but you'll need to make some compromises to get there :p

Like you, it's not really an issue for me (144hz is still an upgrade from the 120hz I'm currently running the 38" at) but it might be for some people

One thing I would like to see on reviews is how the Alienware/Samsung display monitor handle motion or moving images. The response times are incredibly fast, since OLED but that has some downsides such as for example you are more aware of stutter when playing movies or content played at 24 FPS.

Yeah of course, my point was more that marketing this as a "175hz monitor" is similar to marketing a 3050ti as a "4k GPU"... sure it will do 4k, but you'll need to make some compromises to get there :p

Like you, it's not really an issue for me (144hz is still an upgrade from the 120hz I'm currently running the 38" at) but it might be for some people
The more the merrier :p

I see Mike changed his mind yet again from yesterday to today and is going for the G8 again :cry:

So, are you guys/gals/others, with ultrawide 34" IPS 3440x1440 monitors upgrading to this, purely because of OLED?

I'd like OLED, but I'd also like it in a 38" UW format.

I really like my current Acer Predator, I'd better not read any reviews of this new monitor!

Hopefully a 38" will be coming in the (not too distant) future.

So, are you guys/gals/others, with ultrawide 34" IPS 3440x1440 monitors upgrading to this, purely because of OLED?

I'd like OLED, but I'd also like it in a 38" UW format.

I really like my current Acer Predator, I'd better not read any reviews of this new monitor!

Hopefully a 38" will be coming in the (not too distant) future.

I'll (probably) be upgrading from a 38" UW - will at least see how it compares side by side before making the decision. 34" UW OLED is what I actually wanted when I got the 38" but seemed like a distant dream at the time!

I'm considering it, but waiting for reviews. QD OLED is truly new technology, and I assume different than LG ones. It would really suck if motion settings such as motion interpolation is worse or even non existent compared to LG displays and that means watching movies at 24 FPS for example will be lower quality than watching on LG displays such as the c2.

One thing I would like to see on reviews is how the Alienware/Samsung display monitor handle motion or moving images. The response times are incredibly fast, since OLED but that has some downsides such as for example you are more aware of stutter when playing movies or content played at 24 FPS.

As a monitor it won't have motion interpolation, so the only way to overcome this annoying stutter that makes moving content less trackable than an LCD is with BFI/ULMB. Just hoping this is a good implementation with low input lag and no cross-talk.

As a monitor it won't have motion interpolation, so the only way to overcome this annoying stutter that makes moving content less trackable than an LCD is with BFI/ULMB. Just hoping this is a good implementation with low input lag and no cross-talk.
But you want more motion blur though? That's the whole point of motion interpolation so it appears smooth as opposed to stuttery.

I'll be upgrading from an Acer X34a which is a 100Hz LG (pre-Nano) IPS panel. I wouldn't consider a 38" due to lack of space for one and it's a lot of pixels to push for someone like me who enjoys turning all the sliders up.

So, it seems that this monitor does NOT support DSC - which means max 144hz @ 3440x1440 10bit colour. If you want the full 175hz then you'll need to use chroma sub-sampling or 8bit.

So basically it's a 144hz monitor - obviously this isn't exactly "bad", but a bit disappointing that the specs are misleading all the same :(

Who says it doesn't support DSC? G-Sync ultimate module has supported DSC for a while. Example: my PG32UQX can do 4K/144 Hz at Full RGB 12-bit color.

The G-Sync module does, but as far as I can tell, the monitor doesn't.

Someone tweeted them about it and their reply was "DSC is not needed at this resolution; it's supported natively" which is pretty much word for word what they replied to me when I queried them asking if there were any plans for a firmware update for the AW3821DW to enable it.

So while they haven't explicitly said "no", I think it's pretty safe to assume not based on their response.

Back
Top Bottom