World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
Update from Dell in relation to the fan rattling mine has developed. They have offered me a AW3821DW, which I've refused as this is what I moved from. Oddly they said the AW3423DW is no longer available, a bit odd as showing a October delivery window. I responded challenging their response adding that I would happily wait for new stock to arrive. Nothing back as yet as seem to take 5 hours to respond to each email I send.

Soldato
That is not good to hear about stock and when you think Samsung/Msi and maybe others have monitors coming out also with the same panels i guess Dell will be fighting for parts.

Soldato
My replacement got delivered yesterday but it's at work. Was faster than original order! One week from speaking to them on the phone, impressed as I'm in NZ these days.

Soldato
Just wondering if that was a full replacement as you were in the 30 day window of the purchase?
I've has mine around 5 months so apparently after the 30 days they offer refurbished units, just worried I might get the one you sent back!!

Not sure to be honest, had mine since April, replacement delivered in August, but I did request the replacement within a couple of days of getting it. Interesting that they offered you the AW3821DW as a replacement, if this one proves problematic in future (e.g. multiple replacements due to burn in) then I'd be tempted to move back to the 38" :)

Soldato
I wouldn't take the AW3821DW as it's IPS, and you want that sweet OLED black levels and lack of glow.

Fan on this new one is annoying me, it's noisier than previous one in general, but beyond that, sometimes it just acts strangely for a while.

For example it will just spin up for like a second, then stop for a few seconds, and repeat that for a while. Has anyone else had this?

The screen is really good but the fan behaviour is definitely a weak point, it wouldn't be so bad if it was just on at a fairly constant low level.

Soldato
I wouldn't take the AW3821DW as it's IPS, and you want that sweet OLED black levels and lack of glow.

Fan on this new one is annoying me, it's noisier than previous one in general, but beyond that, sometimes it just acts strangely for a while.

For example it will just spin up for like a second, then stop for a few seconds, and repeat that for a while. Has anyone else had this?

The screen is really good but the fan behaviour is definitely a weak point, it wouldn't be so bad if it was just on at a fairly constant low level.

I had the AW3821DW before this, and it was a lovely monitor - yes, it's definitely not a patch on the QD-OLED quality, but if burn-in becomes problematic then it may not leave much of a choice! (No issues so far though, hopefully it remains that way!)

Associate
In people's opinions how good is this monitor ?

It’s excellent for gaming, hunt showdown looks so good on the night levels. The fan noise is really annoying at times. Mine also had a dead pixel and damage to the anti glare coating from new. Plan to do a warranty claim on it at some point.

Caporegime
Mine is just so impressive. I've got lucky and I've only ever heard the fan once. Motion handling and HDR performance are impressive.

The anti-glare causing glow is unnoticeable to me, but my room isn't bright.

The prompts for pixel refresh and panel refresh are a bit irritating until I realised you just ignore them and it will then happen at power off. I was trying to clear the message and was triggering the pixel refresh when I wanted to use the PC.

Text is fine to me. If I stare closely it isn't quite IPS clarity but no worse than my my VA Samsung monitor it replaced.

Soldato
Similar to the previous post only really annoying thing is the pixel refresh prompt every 4 hours maybe 2nd is the DP input pop-up pause when exiting games or switching resolution. I mainly game so that's a good use case and I was only hearing the fan when it was around 30C ambient in the room.

Text should be at it best when the triangle sub pixel format is catered for in apps, Windows etc.

Soldato
Has anyone used this monitor with MacOS ?

I normally use windows but I’d want the ability to hook my MacBook Air up to it when required alongside my PC?

Soldato
In people's opinions how good is this monitor ?

As per the previous couple of posts, it's great, motion clarity is fantastic, and you aren't going to get better blacks/colours. It looks great in everything I've played, but it does take certain games to really show it off to the full potential - anything which is mostly dark with strongly coloured & bright highlights is just beautiful (e.g. exactly the kind of scenes which really highlight the flaws in other display types such as black smearing from VA or glow in IPS).

I'm talking games like Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, Deep Rock Galactic, Cyberpunk, GTFO, The Ascent

Soldato
Anyone else had an issue where GSYNC just disappeared from the Nvidia Control panel and stopped working? I tried a bunch of driver reinstalls and restarting PC etc but the only thing that fixed it was to unplug it from the mains, came back after being plugged in.

On the subject of how good this monitor is... I think it is basically the best you can buy right now, the black levels just make everything amazing and the HDR is plenty awesome.

It seems that some people have fan issues and some don't though, maybe a quality control issue or different fan manufacturers? My experience has been that I don't hear it 99% of the time and my office and PC are very quiet.

Back
Top Bottom