World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
Hey all,

I completely messed up with the return window for my AW3423DW after pre-ordering it months ago and picking up a C1 OLED which I want to keep.

Long story short, I cant return it to Dell so need to sell it. Before I do, is there anything I should be checking? It's currently boxed away after opening it to see if there was screen damage.

Thanks!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The usual, any damages/marks on the screen, it actually works etc and box has all bits inside.

This below is really interesting. Looks like we have come to OLED's end game form. NO burn-in, very long service life, higher res, same OLED performance and specs too.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Oh also just updated to Windows 11 22H2 and noticed that Windows Update installed the Alienware command centre crap again, any way to completely get rid and stop this?

nmI8v3A.png

I have uninstalled it the usual way, but notice in Device Manager that some entries still remain and manually uninstalling them from Device Manager and hitting refresh just puts them back which is slightly annoying.

zmghoUg.png

Soldato
My replacement turned up early. The noise making fan is sorted. However, on this one the fan is always on. Even if I push the power/standby button the fan stays on. That can’t be correct surely?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Oh yeah, the fan will sometimes always be on, depends on its thermal state etc. It should turn off after some time being turned off though. It will turn off sooner with Eco mode enabled, but with Eco mode on, and if you use Creator mode with srgb, the colours don't flick back to srgb after it comes out of standby until you go back to the OSD, with Eco off the colours flick back to SRGB automatically no prob - So that is a bug that has not been fixed in even my A03 revision.

So I leave Eco mode off for this reason.

Soldato
It’s not that it’s loud, it’s just audible. It’s more that fans have a shelf life, and it constantly being on is madness. It’s been on all today, although I do have eco mode off

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Oh yeah definitely, it's not loud or distracting, it's just part of the room, like idle chatter in a living room, TV sound? like that it's just present and you can hear it, but it's not loud. I'd rather it not exist at all as I am used tot otal silence when using my PC, but hey ho maybe next gen of displays :p

I do like it still though, the glossy coating is nice for sure, like peering through a window.

desktop_priddyslandscape.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Heads up, noticed a change with Rev A03, the screen now stays in standby mode after Windows puts it to sleep and a pixel refresh runs. Happy days!

Any way to update the firmware? That sounds like a fairly decent quality of life improvement.

That, and the fan noise, are the only two niggles with mine.

Associate
Does the new one's with the updated firmware, still take 5 seconds to switch from a game, to desktop when you use windows key or alt tab?

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Can you name some games where that happens? I have not seen this on any of the 3 I have had. It would only happen if you are gaming at a non native resolution, which is normal for many monitors as the resolution has to change, as does the refresh rate etc. But it should only be a few seconds.

Associate
Oh also just updated to Windows 11 22H2 and noticed that Windows Update installed the Alienware command centre crap again, any way to completely get rid and stop this?

nmI8v3A.png

I have uninstalled it the usual way, but notice in Device Manager that some entries still remain and manually uninstalling them from Device Manager and hitting refresh just puts them back which is slightly annoying.

zmghoUg.png

I'm in the same boat as you. I also received my monitor same day as you, same firmware/build etc. I had to reinstall my nvidia drivers and it did not install any of the alienware software. Not even a colour profile. I found some marring on the display too but came off easy with microfibre.

I'm using 52 brightness and 68 contrast. sRGB and gamma 2.4, and switch to HDR for gaming - great display! I returned my C1 42 OLED, much prefer this monitor.
The fan noise for me is negligible, had to put my ear over the top to hear it. I very much like that when I ignore the pixel refresher prompt, it does the pixel shift once I'm done with the monitor, I hit the off button and it does it then. All in all - no complaints, very happy with it!

@mrk When switching to HDR, do you adjust the SDR brightness before launching a game/watching HDR content? Do you find Auto HDR works well?

Soldato

Have you disabled automatic driver updates?

Caporegime
Not had any problems with the alienware software installing, I'm not on 22h2 though.

Still loving this monitor, was playing some of the new cod open beta and the motion clarity even with 90-100 fps is just sublime :cool: Still no sign of burn in either.

Reactions: mrk
Associate
Not had any problems with the alienware software installing, I'm not on 22h2 though.

Still loving this monitor, was playing some of the new cod open beta and the motion clarity even with 90-100 fps is just sublime :cool: Still no sign of burn in either.

How long have you owned yours for?

Back
Top Bottom