World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yup, it is small but more noticeable when it is changing in real time.
There are some games that you can change the fps slider on the fly and it becomes much more apparent and easier to see.
The flickering at 144 is less pronounced because the floor is already slightly lifted, sorta masks some of the effect.
But to me I am sensitive to the black raise a lot more than the dithering so just point out the recommendation as some maybe like me.
This 60hz one is a real problem for me as any game like cyberpunk with fps at that range is very noticeable. LG have a setting to make 60hz the curve etc so I can mitigate there.
From your pics I can definitely see square 3 raised at 120 vs 144
Hmm looking at 120 and 144 more closely, yep 144 is the closest to 175 though. The lift is not something I noticed in Cyberpunk and my fps was in the 75fps range with RTX and DLSS enabled. Worth noting though that Cyberpunk's colour grade is using lifted black shades anyway and you'll never get pure dark tones without mods being installed which is something I toyed with to get more natural tones.

I never play games in a pitch black room so would be hard pressed to notice that issue tbh but do find the flickering with dark grey backgrounds annoying at 175hz
I play in the dark all the time, that's the whole reason I got an OLED monitor! :D

But yeah the flicker is far too distracting on desktop and in games as you've seen too.

Dell should be paying MRK for all the support he gives on this thread.

If anyone at Dell is watching, happy to accept a free sample of the next model down the line for testing purposes :p :cry:

Permabanned
Soldato
Oh sorry, just homed in on OLED and I confess not sure of advantage of QD other than an apparent resistance to burn in over OLED.

My ideal size would be a 32-35 non UW 4k 120hz or more.

Associate
I never play games in a pitch black room so would be hard pressed to notice that issue tbh but do find the flickering with dark grey backgrounds annoying at 175hz
Yup, I think my point is that for some people the gamma raise is easier to detect than 8 bit dithering, so it wouldnt make sense to shave off 30hz in games so that I can have 10 bit enabled when the downside is easier to detect than what I am trying to fix.
For the odd game that the vrr flicker is noticeable, I may make the tradeoff and select 144hz to reduce or eliminate it.
Also this screen raises it blacks via ambient lighting, so I get that some won't notice anyways. I'm in a room with one small light and a bigger lg oled, even now I can see the aw screen is greyer than the lg.
Again for others I stress that the things I describe are very very small and 1000x better than lcd blacks.

Permabanned
Oh sorry, just homed in on OLED and I confess not sure of advantage of QD other than an apparent resistance to burn in over OLED.

My ideal size would be a 32-35 non UW 4k 120hz or more.
QD-OLED is superior technology..
better colours
brighter
better whites
lesser chance of burn in
better anti reflection coating
etc

Soldato
Yup, I think my point is that for some people the gamma raise is easier to detect than 8 bit dithering, so it wouldnt make sense to shave off 30hz in games so that I can have 10 bit enabled when the downside is easier to detect than what I am trying to fix.
For the odd game that the vrr flicker is noticeable, I may make the tradeoff and select 144hz to reduce or eliminate it.
Also this screen raises it blacks via ambient lighting, so I get that some won't notice anyways. I'm in a room with one small light and a bigger lg oled, even now I can see the aw screen is greyer than the lg.
Again for others I stress that the things I describe are very very small and 1000x better than lcd blacks.

Is this similar to the LG tv issue whereby using VRR raised blacks? It could be mitigated by changing some setting but ultimately, I recall it was not something software could fix.

Thanks @JK2022 for doing what I was too lazy to do.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yeah the problem will be getting the differences knowledge shared to everyday people who only see "OLED" and don't know or care about the inner details. At least this will still apply competition to the market meaning all types of OLED monitors will come out and will have to compete to consumers. Although saying that, QD-OLED is already cheap even at RRP. There are IPS ultrawides that still RRP at over £1000.

Associate
Is this similar to the LG tv issue whereby using VRR raised blacks? It could be mitigated by changing some setting but ultimately, I recall it was not something software could fix.

Thanks @JK2022 for doing what I was too lazy to do.
Yes its the exact same thing. Fortunately LG released a mitigation tool. Allows you to correct the near black for a specific fps eh game averages 100fps, you can bring the native curve to be correct for that range. Unfortunately,it can't eliminate the flickering. The raised blacks and vrr flicker are more of an issue on the 4k screen as the gpu struggle to keep a smooth high fps compared to driving the Dell.

Caporegime

Also if/when you can hit a locked 170 fps, it is a sight to behold! Noticeable bump in smoothness/motion clarity imo but sadly I can barely even hit a locked 100 fps in most games now :p :(

Associate
Hmm looking at 120 and 144 more closely, yep 144 is the closest to 175 though. The lift is not something I noticed in Cyberpunk and my fps was in the 75fps range with RTX and DLSS enabled. Worth noting though that Cyberpunk's colour grade is using lifted black shades anyway and you'll never get pure dark tones without mods being installed which is something I toyed with to get more natural tones.
Sorry, I was just using cyberpunk as an example of a hard to drive game that averages way below native. I agree that cyberpunk already has raised blacks to the point I thought hdr was broke :D was weird seeing it so highly recommended in this thread as a hdr showcase. Now Ori.... Thats great HDR.

Soldato
My go to game for showing off OLED is Tetris Effect, 0 black background and stunning contrast with the effects. If you haven't tried, see if there is a demo available or something.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Resident Evil Village, Resident Evil 3 Remake honestly those are fantastic in HDR, Days Gone too is really nice. Basically any game with dark scene, because all light sources just smash your eyeballs in :p

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Associate
I have this monitor now for 3 months almost, indeed great colour and contrast , HDR in games is fantastic , but recently I heard a second fan starting and stopping like a person breathing very heavy. Is not the ''usual '' fan that is always in background, barely noticed over the general fan noise of the PC, this is a distinct second ? fan that is very unnerving
Has anyone know what this is all about ? Is this normal / expected or do I have to call Dell for a replacement / repair ?
If it is expected can we stop it? or at least make the fan permanently on or off ? I do not mind general low background noise but this start / stop annoys the hell out of me

It is a shame bacause otherwise the panned is still ''perfect'' no stuck pixels , no burned images that I can see ...

Back
Top Bottom