World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
Annoying, £999 with £299 discount, if I apply student discount code of 5% it removes the £299 discount and increases the price to £1,234.04 :cry: (infact seems to do that with any discount code)
It appears to be 'on offer'? With my discount code it's now £750.98. I'm guessing this is pretty good?

Associate
I've got two OLEDs in the house, a 65CX in the lougne and a 55B6 in the bedroom. Everytime I use my main PC (Iiyama 34 g-master gb3461wqsu-b1) I cry a little because of how inferior it is to my OLEDs. I feel the time has come to look at upgrading my monitor.

Now, given the price of this screen, would you say this is a good bet for the next 3/4 or so years? I know with my CX it produces a much better image than the B6, I don't want to buy the first display at a premium and then a significantly better one is released in 6 months :cry:

Also, has the HDR switching been improved with the latest versions of Windows? I can remember setting this up a while ago on my laptop with my CX and it never really worked that well.

I am not in an absolute rush for this so might wait and see if there are any black friday deals about.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I've got two OLEDs in the house, a 65CX in the lougne and a 55B6 in the bedroom. Everytime I use my main PC (Iiyama 34 g-master gb3461wqsu-b1) I cry a little because of how inferior it is to my OLEDs. I feel the time has come to look at upgrading my monitor.

Now, given the price of this screen, would you say this is a good bet for the next 3/4 or so years? I know with my CX it produces a much better image than the B6, I don't want to buy the first display at a premium and then a significantly better one is released in 6 months :cry:

Also, has the HDR switching been improved with the latest versions of Windows? I can remember setting this up a while ago on my laptop with my CX and it never really worked that well.

I am not in an absolute rush for this so might wait and see if there are any black friday deals about.

I don't know about the others but I think this AW is the only OLED on market with 3 years warranty covering burn-in, and as it's new technology with no baseline to judge the longevity with yet, it would be wise to stick with this as you get a replacement ideally within days of an issue like some of us have had with panel defects or burn-in etc.

It does not appear that any new models that are an upgrade over this will be out within the next 6 months to be honest :p I'd say another year at least before we see other sizes or models using custom heatsinks (maybe) so bin off the fan.

Maybe even a new Gsync module as Nvidia hasn't really done anything to update the current one.

Windows HDR switching is fine in Win11, just use the XBOX game bar app to enable a keyboard shortcut for it or let the game automatically switch to it and when you exit, switch back to SDR.

Permabanned
I'm very close to order it,the only things that makes me hesitate is the curve and ultra wide ratio.(specially curve :()
it's been 2 weeks and I still can't decide to go ahead and order or not.
I'd ve happily payed £200 extra if there was a flat 16:9 version even if it was smaller.

Caporegime
You really don’t notice the curve after only a few minutes. I couldn’t imagine such a large monitor without a curve. Indeed I’ve been put off replacing my older Alienware for a faster refresh monitor due to no curve. Without it the screen edges are even further away.

Regarding the Ultrawide it’s way better. I wouldn’t go back to a 16:9 and most UW users agree.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was nearly pulling the trigger on this, only thing that get me is really dont use for gaming, was wanting better colours for graphic phot work etc, would this still be a top monitor for that?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I'm very close to order it,the only things that makes me hesitate is the curve and ultra wide ratio.(specially curve :()
As mentioned above, it is one of the more subtle curves that aid the side as opposed to cause issues with the illusion of distortion because the curve is more severe like on other screens. I was never a curved fan and returned previous models of IPS 34" etc I had before in favour of the flat versions, but this is perfectly fine and is a positive for gaming/media consuming at the desktop.

Was nearly pulling the trigger on this, only thing that get me is really dont use for gaming, was wanting better colours for graphic phot work etc, would this still be a top monitor for that?
If it's for colour reproduction then this covers that nicely really. The bulk of my use case is productivity editing photos and for that in Creator mode with the SRGB setting and Gamma at 2.4, the visual accuracy I could see between this and my old LG IPS 34" which had an internal LUT for calibration was nearly 1:1 - I say nearly because the QD-OLED looked better due to infinite contrast and the glossy front coating adding more clarity.

Soldato
As mentioned above, it is one of the more subtle curves that aid the side as opposed to cause issues with the illusion of distortion because the curve is more severe like on other screens. I was never a curved fan and returned previous models of IPS 34" etc I had before in favour of the flat versions, but this is perfectly fine and is a positive for gaming/media consuming at the desktop.

If it's for colour reproduction then this covers that nicely really. The bulk of my use case is productivity editing photos and for that in Creator mode with the SRGB setting and Gamma at 2.4, the visual accuracy I could see between this and my old LG IPS 34" which had an internal LUT for calibration was nearly 1:1 - I say nearly because the QD-OLED looked better due to infinite contrast and the glossy front coating adding more clarity.
Cheers for the feedback, thats good enough for me, I don't need pitch perfect, but good representation of printing etc. Will pull the trigger tonight.
I think also once spoiled my eyes with LG oled screen, its just so much more noticeable in contrast.

Permabanned
this monitor is definitely made for gaming.
I don't think it's an ideal choice if you don't game and primarily do graphic design photo edit etc
I'd go for a 4K high quality non gaming monitor
the new Apple Studio Display is incredible for these tasks and one of the best examples currently available (if not the best) ,but I'm unsure if it's 100% compatible with windows PC.that's something you need to research.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
But the apple display isn't that great for gaming nor does it support the performance features needed for modern games like vrr, reflex via gsync etc.

The AW is a jack of all trades, so when you fire up a game, you're rewarded with immersion that no non ultra wide display can ever offer.

Soldato
this monitor is definitely made for gaming.
I don't think it's an ideal choice if you don't game and primarily do graphic design photo edit etc
I'd go for a 4K high quality non gaming monitor
the new Apple Studio Display is incredible for these tasks and one of the best examples currently available (if not the best) ,but I'm unsure if it's 100% compatible with windows PC.that's something you need to research.
How much is the Apple screen?

Soldato
i'm seriously thinking of pressing the buy button on this:
I have about 25 icons on the desktop. Have I got to have almost like a 'paranoid behaviour' of burn-in worries? Like i'd have to take off all the icons or keep moving them once a day etc? I would put the bottom task bar as auto hide .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom