World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
My last one did get some burn in but only over some yellow desktop icons on the right of the screen which were basically always visible even with my two browser windows open side by side. I've since removed them and hidden the recycle bin too then pinned it to the File Explorer menu on the taskbar.

For reference my taskbar and system tray areas didn't have any burn in so they seemed fine but out of practice have it set to auto hide now anyway because full screen apps for vertically maxed apps have a few more pixels this way and looks nicer too

Other than that, basic practice really on how you set up the blank screensaver and display sleep timer in Windows. For me after 5 mins inactivity the screensaver comes on, then 15 minutes of idle time the display goes to sleep/standby which kicks in the pixel refresh if it's due.

Soldato
My last one did get some burn in but only over some yellow desktop icons on the right of the screen which were basically always visible even with my two browser windows open side by side. I've since removed them and hidden the recycle bin too then pinned it to the File Explorer menu on the taskbar.

For reference my taskbar and system tray areas didn't have any burn in so they seemed fine but out of practice have it set to auto hide now anyway because full screen apps for vertically maxed apps have a few more pixels this way and looks nicer too

Other than that, basic practice really on how you set up the blank screensaver and display sleep timer in Windows. For me after 5 mins inactivity the screensaver comes on, then 15 minutes of idle time the display goes to sleep/standby which kicks in the pixel refresh if it's due.

Thanks mate . That's good advice, i'll do the same as that when i get one.:)
A lot different to what I do now but its just a case of getting used to it isnt it.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not worrying about burn in, I have desktop icons and sticky notes but I rarely sit with the screen on the desktop... Either a webpage or a game and my taskbar set to hide. I also have it sleep after 2 mins.

Permabanned
Looks like they are bringing out a slightly cheaper version with no gsync module, so no noisy fan, but with amd freesync pro/adaptive sync and some other slight changes.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Looks like they are bringing out a slightly cheaper version with no gsync module, so no noisy fan, but with amd freesync pro/adaptive sync and some other slight changes.

Mentioned a couple of pages back. Will still have a fan, just one less.

Soldato

Glad I didn't get around d to order now lol. So typical when I got to look to buy.

Soldato
Am I right that with G/Free/VRR there is a range the FPS must remain in so that you benefit from it? So if it drops below that then that is when you see screen tearing etc? If so, what is the range on this monitor.

Soldato
Well I have seen the specs and reviews and it says it has NVIDIA's G-SYNC Ultimate, which enables variable-rate refresh in a very wide range, all the way from 1 to 175Hz.

Oh really? I recall my AOC monitor had quite a harsh range, like 50hz so if it dropped below that I'd get issues.

Associate
Oh really? I recall my AOC monitor had quite a harsh range, like 50hz so if it dropped below that I'd get issues.
I just checked the EDID of the alienware monitor in CRU and it's showing as 1-175hz in that. So the tech specs definitely seem to be telling the truth.

Soldato
I just checked the EDID of the alienware monitor in CRU and it's showing as 1-175hz in that. So the tech specs definitely seem to be telling the truth.

Interesting thanks. I also failed to mention my monitor was Freesync2 and it was apparently 48fps > max.

I though the point of these were so you didn't notice framerate drops so much, but that makes no sense to me with the gysnc range being 1-- > 175 so clearly I never understood what it was actually for :D

Last edited:
Associate
Interesting thanks. I also failed to mention my monitor was Freesync2 and it was apparently 48fps > max.

I though the point of these were so you didn't notice framerate drops so much, but that makes no sense to me with the gysnc range being 1-- > 175 so clearly I never understood what it was actually for :D
Well that is still one of the main benefits, the point is your monitor will refresh at the same pace as the FPS so you don't get any added judder as they are in sync with each other. This judder is why say a frame-rate unlocked console game from back before they added free-sync/vrr often looked worse than something just locked to 30FPS. 30FPS should go straight into the 60HZ that a console/tv outputs at, where as a frame-rate that fluctuates between below 30 and above 30 just wouldn't so it just wouldn't look that smooth.

Admittedly if your range was wide enough, going below the lower bracket hasn't been as much of an issue as it used to be as Freesync and g-sync can support something called LFC (Low frame-rate compensation) where it kind of doubles up frames to get it back inside the range(it's a bit more complicated than that but that's kind of a jist).

Associate
I ordered one yesterday and have a delivery date of tomorrow. However its still just sat at confirmed with no dispatch email so I'll be amazed if it isn't delayed.

Edit: Delayed until 27/10. Not too bad considering they're giving December dates if you order now.

Edit: And now its just updated to 20/10 so who knows when it will turn up.

Edit: it's just shipped so looks like Thursday it is :D

Last edited:
Soldato
What's the verdict on these then? I am seriously considering one. I currently have a really expensive monitor, but qd-oled sounds better and also it's a little smaller than my current monitor and so easier to drive. I bought a 3840x1600 monitor a few years ago and deeply regret it. The pitch is too fine for me and to make matters worse the monitor is really hard to drive.

Associate
What's the verdict on these then? I am seriously considering one. I currently have a really expensive monitor, but qd-oled sounds better and also it's a little smaller than my current monitor and so easier to drive. I bought a 3840x1600 monitor a few years ago and deeply regret it. The pitch is too fine for me and to make matters worse the monitor is really hard to drive.
I've been super happy with mine to be honest. Was waiting for a OLED monitor of a more reasonable size (42"-48" is just too big unless you have a deep desk or can wall mount imo) and this fit the bill. Everything looks amazing on it. There's some minor issues with text but despite me doing a lot of coding on it, I've kinda gotten used to it after using the BetterClearTypeTuner to make it better, doesn't bother me at all any more. If you have a silent PC the fan might be a bit annoying, but I think most peoples PC's will be louder than it unless you get a defective monitor.

I suppose potential burn in is a bit of a worry, I've seen a few reports of it. However they seem to send out replacements for it really easily at least. Personally I've used mine probably for 10 hours most days due to WFH since April and mines still going strong.

Soldato
I've been super happy with mine to be honest. Was waiting for a OLED monitor of a more reasonable size (42"-48" is just too big unless you have a deep desk or can wall mount imo) and this fit the bill. Everything looks amazing on it. There's some minor issues with text but despite me doing a lot of coding on it, I've kinda gotten used to it after using the BetterClearTypeTuner to make it better, doesn't bother me at all any more. If you have a silent PC the fan might be a bit annoying, but I think most peoples PC's will be louder than it unless you get a defective monitor.

I suppose potential burn in is a bit of a worry, I've seen a few reports of it. However they seem to send out replacements for it really easily at least. Personally I've used mine probably for 10 hours most days due to WFH since April and mines still going strong.

The monitor I have has a fan and I never hear it, so it's probably not an issue. Burn in is a worry but I would probably turn the brightness down a little for everyday use, because I often find monitors too bright. I suppose that affects the HDR performance but I am less worried about that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom