World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Soldato
I recommend getting it changed. Mine I can hear, but only when GPU fans are low. Once they spin up to around 50% or there abouts then can't hear it. No chance I would hear it with headphones on. Oh and my hearing is quite good.

Been there, done that!

I am sat here with 2 of these monitors at the moment as I am not sure what to do next. Dell actually haven't asked for the 1st one to be returned yet, though having 2 doesn't really benefit me (I won't sell it on as they could ask for it back, and I can't use more than one at a time).

My original one is fine on fan noise and I've never heard it doing the sighing thing, but it has a dead pixel near the centre of the screen.

My newer one has no dead pixels but it's got the annoyingly loud fan.

The fan noise is like in this video (not mine despite the initials on it being HH), turn your volume way up to hear it, but in real life it's very noticeable above the background noise of my PC next to it, and unless I have headphones on with something loud playing, I will hear it over headphones and moderate volume stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think there are 2 fans in the unit, there is one which is like always on and it's fairly quiet, at least not that noticeable.

Then there is this one that sounds like the family Labrador breathing heavily :D

Definitely not alone but I'm not sure why it seems more prevalent in some than others, there is a reddit thread here about it fairly recently: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...3423dw_fan_heavy_breathing_every_few_seconds/

Edit - Firmware for the flat version can be updated and has a fix for fan noise, I don't know why they decided not to include a firmware update function on the curved version, means we can never patch this out ourselves.

Link - https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...nj&oscode=wt64a&productcode=aw3423dwf-monitor

Fixes & Enhancements​

1. Fixes loud fan noise after prolong use

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Damn that sucks man. Hopefully Dell forget the monitor as compensation. After 6 months you should be safe. If they contact you you say what monitor? I sent that back ages ago :p

Just kidding, or am I? :cry:

Associate
I'm convinced anybody who doesn't hear it is deaf and just doesn't know it :p

It never sounds broken in any way, it sounds like it's working as intended, and moving air. Understandably some people had actual defective fans that rattled, etc. That's different.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

It never sounds broken in any way, it sounds like it's working as intended, and moving air. Understandably some people had actual defective fans that rattled, etc. That's different.

Hearing it is one thing. Hearing it through headphones is something else :cry:

Soldato

What I hear has been heard by a bunch of people, it's on/off, on/off, on/off etc in batches effectively. It's like it puts the fan on to cool it down, and then turns it off, then a second later it thinks it needs to do it again. Maybe it's a threshold between on and off, not sure.

Soldato
Thread says Dell and Samsung. I'm looking at the Dell AW3423DW and it's quoting December 2nd for delivery. Is the Samsung model better availability, and if so what's the model number?

Apologies if it's posted previously, but thread is a 280 pager.

TIA
As far as I know the Samsung model (g85sb) is not out yet. This one uses the Samsung panel though. An alternative Dell AW3423DWF is supposedly out end of the year which looks to be very similar without the gsync module and perhaps 165Hz.

Associate
What I hear has been heard by a bunch of people, it's on/off, on/off, on/off etc in batches effectively. It's like it puts the fan on to cool it down, and then turns it off, then a second later it thinks it needs to do it again. Maybe it's a threshold between on and off, not sure.

Same with mine. Maybe other people just live in warmer houses, so it stays on and isn't as noticeable.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Recently someone elsewhere tried to argue that the front panel coating isn't glossy on this. I stated simply that if you can see your own reflection on it, then it's glossy lol.

I took a pic to demonstrate:

middlefingerreflection.jpg

:D is this allowed? :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Video of click? Could be that some debris has falled through the vent gaps. I once found a clicking sound coming from my case fan in the PC, opened up side panel to see a spider had made a web by it and the airflow was bouncing the spider's body back and forth contacting a blade every so often!

Soldato
OP
Recently someone elsewhere tried to argue that the front panel coating isn't glossy on this. I stated simply that if you can see your own reflection on it, then it's glossy lol.

I took a pic to demonstrate:

middlefingerreflection.jpg

:D is this allowed? :p

It's a semi gloss coating. It's not glossy like a full glossy screen and it's not diffused like a matte screen. I can see your reflection bits it's not a sharp clear mirror like reflection like a fully glossy screen has

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You can still clearly see details in all reflections though, it's not matte like some were saying. The only reason that there is some detail loss is because it's curved and as such it distorts the reflection and the AG coating mutes it further still (expected). If it was a flat panel, you'd see your face lie a mirror would had the AG coating film not been applied.

Associate
Video of click? Could be that some debris has falled through the vent gaps. I once found a clicking sound coming from my case fan in the PC, opened up side panel to see a spider had made a web by it and the airflow was bouncing the spider's body back and forth contacting a blade every so often!

I'll take one at the weekend as I'm working a lot until then.

I might try and give it a blast of air through the vents with the ol' compuclean.

Reactions: mrk
Back
Top Bottom