World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
Sorry for not reading through the last couple of hundred pages but thoughts on this for a dual purpose work from home/office and also gaming monitor? Are we worried about burn in from general windows/office use at all?
I’m using it as a primary monitor for working from home & gaming. I have no concerns and am very happy with the monitor.

Sure sometimes the fan is audible but other than that it’s pretty spot on

Soldato
Yeah this is the thing I guess. I don't want to pay all that money and it only be good for 3 years but at the same time some of the photos people are taking make it look sooooo good. I blame @mrk

It's so difficult to wait... and I don't need a new gaming monitor so I'm doing my best to wait for the second generation.

Associate
Yeah this is the thing I guess. I don't want to pay all that money and it only be good for 3 years but at the same time some of the photos people are taking make it look sooooo good. I blame @mrk

Haha. Tbh this monitor has decent anti-burn in features, more than other panels I know of and used, I'd say you will definitely get your moneys worth if you bought one

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That is one of the plus points, will Dell continue to sell this exact version in 2.5 years time? I don't think so,w hatever version they have then will be a step up from this current one, so if all ours developed burn in or faults in 2.5 years, we win either way :p

Just minus the warranty of the then replacement of course as a replacement adopts the old warranty timescale. Safe to assume though any burn in etc would be sorted by then anyway one way or other.

@mrk do you leave black stabiliser on 0.
It is at the default 0 yep. Gamma on 2.4 and Creator mode SRGB, brightness 53, contrast 66. Though brightness is automatic when in HDR games/content.
I may or may not accept blame :D

Associate
My settings are a little diff to others in this thread. From memory I followed Vincent’s with true black hdr/creator mode/2.2.

I have hdr on within windows 11 - looks better and fixes issues with txt. It’s more vivid if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Soldato
With the 3 year warranty I think it’s reasonably safe to assume a replacement down the line would be 2nd gen.

That is one of the plus points, will Dell continue to sell this exact version in 2.5 years time? I don't think so,w hatever version they have then will be a step up from this current one, so if all ours developed burn in or faults in 2.5 years, we win either way :p

Just minus the warranty of the then replacement of course as a replacement adopts the old warranty timescale. Safe to assume though any burn in etc would be sorted by then anyway one way or other.

A company doesn't need to continue to sell product X to have some stock available for warranty replacements, I have sent discontinued products (a Dell monitor actually) to warranty to get an exact SKU replacement.

You should never assume a warranty replacement will be an upgrade.

Associate
A company doesn't need to continue to sell product X to have some stock available for warranty replacements, I have sent discontinued products (a Dell monitor actually) to warranty to get an exact SKU replacement.

You should never assume a warranty replacement will be an upgrade.
Nothing is ever guaranteed but in my opinion it’s unlikely they will continue to produce this version after a few years, we are already about to see the first revision drop whether they are advertising it as a cheaper alternative or not it’s effectively a refined version.

We are talking flagships here not a standard lcd/ips etc.

Look at it another way; if after three years no burn in, at what some of us paid with the heavy discount ‘bug’ it will have been a bargain.

In any case - 3 year standard warranty is very generous in this climate.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrk

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I just had to look that up, never heard of it but I can assure you it isn't the type of game I'd probably have ever bought sorry :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I just had to look that up, never heard of it but I can assure you it isn't the type of game I'd probably have ever bought sorry :p

It's just a great game to showcase Oled and HDR is all. You play on 0 black backgrounds with HDR effects going off. Visually stunning and never met someone who doesn't like Tetris :)

Soldato
Pretty sure they could do the same with the AW3423DW too. Really annoying that they haven’t put out a firmware update for it.
Lack of user doable firmware updates could be about Nvidia and not Dell.

Remember that Nvidia has for years pushed their locked down "black box" tech to take totalitarian control over gaming starting from software to "output" hardware.
And pretty sure Jensen wants to keep everything around (normal circuitry replacing) Nvidia tax module as closed as possible.
User having access to/ability to do firmware updates would fit badly to that.

Soldato
It's so difficult to wait... and I don't need a new gaming monitor so I'm doing my best to wait for the second generation.

I'm in kinda the same boat.

Been really happy with my (non HDR) IPS UW monitor for gaming and general use, but having recently bought a QD OLED TV, its really opened my eyes to how good this tech is, and when I watched some HDR content, just wow.

I'd really like one of these, but the reported fan noise issues are putting me off.

Decided I'm going to wait and see how the inevitable next-gen monitors are.

Associate
ANyone who hasn't played it yet, Plague Tale 2 is one of the best, if not the best, HDR experiences to be sad. All scenes see a significant uplift in fidelity where it counts, make sure you are in HDR1000 :cool:

Do you notice much or any dimming with HDR1000? I noticed it a fair amount in NMS I think so I've kept it on 400 since then.

Back
Top Bottom