World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

I just had a thought, this is a wide gamut display but I will be running it exclusively in sRGB because 100% of my image photo/video editing is sRGB output for the web, even though I shoot in AdobeRGB RAW - It just heps to have captured additional dynamic range in the first instance that the wider gamut offers but then mash it all together into a range that everyone can actually see on their devices when I share images etc.

In terms of 10bit vs 8bit, I guess 10bit is required to make use of HDR content right as that has been my experience with the Huawei MateView GT which is a 165Hz HDR400 panel. You don't get HDR options unless you run in 10bit, but that also means dropping the refresh rate slightly - I mean 144Hz is still more than enough!
Colour management is for getting correct colours in what ever colour space you want output.
If you handicap monitor to sRGB you won't be seeing those AdobeRGB colours correctly.
Though RAW really doesn't have any colour space, except maybe camera's native.
Raw is monochromatic brightness values of individual photosites.

Out of curiosity I loaded one of the Capture One camera profiles into the ColorSync viewer. Wow! The colour space was huge! I looked at a number of different camera profiles, and while they were different in many ways, they all were huge. Much bigger than the diagrams that I’d been looking at for sRGB and Adobe RGB.

To see this look at Figure 2 above. The image shows the Canon 20D generic camera profile as a ghost, with the Adobe RGB 98 profile within it. What a difference! The camera’s colour space is much much bigger than the Adobe space, especially in the deep reds and blues. Only in the yellows is the camera space smaller than Adobe RGB 98.

https://luminous-landscape.com/understanding-prophoto-rgb/

Colours step in only during demosaicing and processing is likely done in some far wider colour space with AdobeRGB or sRGB stepping in for final "rendering" for display/storing.

HDR itself in no way requires 10 bits.
Bit depth simply doesn't limit how far ends of the scale are in brightness, only what's the number of discrete steps inside that scale.

HDR requires 10bit on the Huawei MateView GT, without it you don't get Windows seeing it as a HDR monitor. Probably just the way that monitor does things or needs an update.

I've played around with AdobeRGB proof view vs sRGB etc before and those were my findings, whilst the RAW retains the direct capture, all my editing is done in srGB proof mode so that what I see is what everyone else will see when uploaded to the web. Shooting in sRGB vs AdobeRGB visibly reduces the dynamic range I can edit and reclaim shadow data for example hence why I shoot in AdobeRGB mode on the camera and can then freely use my colour grades/adjustments with full dynamic range my DSLR sensor is capable of. Maybe it is the way the DSLR captures and stores the colour space, but Adobe RGB definitely captures more, even in sRGB when editing I can see better dynamic range in reclaimed area of an image (sgadows/highlights).

On another note, I just found Dell are listed in my employee discounts portal at work, 20% off Alienware monitors :D

I just checked that and that appears to be the AR glare coating on the screen which is typical of many OLED TVs. It's designed to reduce direct light glare and diffuse it so the screen is more visible when lights are on or sunlight etc. My 65" LG has it and it's like a dark grey almost dark purple tint when the screen is off and only noticeable when lights are on bright or daylight shining in. This is not the kind of situation where you would be watching or playing dark media content anyway. With the lights down low or off, it's pitch black as there's nothing for the AR coating to diffuses off in the room.

This will be even less of an issue on a monitor vs a TV. Like you see the pic posted by Nexus above, the QD-OLED is pitch black aside from the slightly overexposed camera settings used there by that guy.

Last edited:
I just checked that and that appears to be the AR glare coating on the screen which is typical of many OLED TVs. It's designed to reduce direct light glare and diffuse it so the screen is more visible when lights are on or sunlight etc. My 65" LG has it and it's like a dark grey almost dark purple tint when the screen is off and only noticeable when lights are on bright or daylight shining in. This is not the kind of situation where you would be watching or playing dark media content anyway. With the lights down low or off, it's pitch black as there's nothing for the AR coating to diffuses off in the room.
In short that's pretty much how CRT looked:
Greyish when there's ambient light hitting screen surface, but in practise full black without that ambient light source.

HDR requires 10bit on the Huawei MateView GT, without it you don't get Windows seeing it as a HDR monitor.
That's just some management/marketing/"political" decision based limit.

Just like any supposed dynamic range differences between sRGB and AdobeRGB setting when in RAW, because only thing it is in RAW is just different line in image's meta data.
Another RAW editor using different processing parameters could well show no dynamic range difference.
Or you're not using any colour management leading to different colour space file shown incorrectly...

I haven't used any other RAW editor really as my entire CMS is in Lightroom so that could be the case, I can only share my experience of Lightoom and having had wide gamut monitors covering near 100% Adobe RGB in the past!

Related news though, the Alienware is now in stock and shipping from the Dell USA Premier website. A few reddit users have placed orders so we will get hands on reviews in days. It is priced at $974 which I assume is pre-tax. Either way, everything is shaping this up to be a miracle monitor given the price and quite possibly the best monitor for gaming, professional work and general use for the money ever released, and it's brand new tech which is the miracle part given the price with 3 year burn in warranty.

QTo1pib.png

Last edited:
What was Dells/alienware original announcement on USA order date? Just I think that is sooner than they said? If so, maybe UK will get to order soon too?

EDIT:

Ah just seen the "premier" bit....

That's the business Dell site, the consumer release is still towards the end of this month it seems. Anyone with access to Dell's USA business portal can place their order right now.

Back
Top Bottom