World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

I love UW, don't get me wrong.

You can't think of it as low vertical FOV. Any properly coded game (HOR+) will only add horizontal FOV in UW. You need to compare it to a 27" 16:9 really.

Admittedly some less well coded games will use VERT- and chop image from the top and bottom, but that's on the developer being lazy.

I know all about that buddy - knows how UW ratio works and that one of course do Not loose any information verical wise. But I dont like the ratio.
For me UW is oversized horizontal any way. Have to sit so close to see the details and by then the side shows almost to much - so to speak!
I like the higher vertical fov, and as said the horizontal fov on 16:9 is more then plenty for me. Of course not a super zoomed in console game. But im a pc gamer and go for 90 fov mostly, and by then the ratio IMHO on a 16:9 is perfection ;)

Fair enough.

I tend to sit pretty close.

This is just the beginning of a lot more OLED in the PC space hopefully, so should be something for everyone. Eventually.

I'm a bit weird when it comes to my preferred aspect ratio (and in general TBF). For third person games I prefer 21:9 for the cinematic look. For example, RDR2 and the like. But for FPS games - especially those with a lot of verticality like Doom Eternal - I much prefer a larger 16:9.

So my current plan is to get this monitor and enjoy it for a year or two at which point I'll hopefully be able to replace it with a 32" of similar quality, selling the Alienware to go towards the new screen.

I'm a bit weird when it comes to my preferred aspect ratio (and in general TBF). For third person games I prefer 21:9 for the cinematic look. For example, RDR2 and the like. But for FPS games - especially those with a lot of verticality like Doom Eternal - I much prefer a larger 16:9.

So my current plan is to get this monitor and enjoy it for a year or two at which point I'll hopefully be able to replace it with a 32" of similar quality, selling the Alienware to go towards the new screen.

I wonder... If MotoGP would benefit from it. It's definitely ace for RPG games.

Hmm...

That reddit post has updated with clarification:

Here's the picture, with very strong lights on the screen when it's off, you can see the coating.

And:

Here is a picture with low lights from front of the screen, screen is on with full screen pure black. The ambient lights are over exaggerated by camera, lights are pretty gentle in reality, but it kept what I saw on the screen so you can see the bit grayish.

hZtmry6.jpg

Here is a picture with subtle lights from right back side of screen. This is typical lighting I'm using at night.

So as long as there is no direct lights from front of the screen, it would be totally fine with black.

cyVdykX.jpg

Pretty much what I expected ;) :)

That reddit post has updated with clarification:

And:

hZtmry6.jpg

cyVdykX.jpg

Pretty much what I expected ;) :)
Nice nice :D

I was thinking, if one is dying to play 16:9 you can always set the resolution and have black bar sides and it would be exactly like a 27” widescreen monitor. Though I would not do that often myself there will be games that it will either force you to or will be ideal to do so.

Yup that's the beauty of 21:9 and OLED, 16:9 resolutions are free from the black bars looking dark grey because of IPS glow or backlight bleed - Best of both worlds. But then again people need to let 16:9 go I say :D

It is the compact disc of today, a dying aspect ratio!

Fair enough.

I tend to sit pretty close.

This is just the beginning of a lot more OLED in the PC space hopefully, so should be something for everyone. Eventually.

Yeah we should be happy, atleast the ball is rolling, and the more the better. So everyone will be happy :)

Okey and for me it's the other way around. FPS view easier with UW. But as said I prefer regular!

But if you go big 16:9 you can do UW so problem solved :D
But I get ya, and sure one can do that to. Who says we just need one monitor etc!

Yup that's the beauty of 21:9 and OLED, 16:9 resolutions are free from the black bars looking dark grey because of IPS glow or backlight bleed - Best of both worlds. But then again people need to let 16:9 go I say :D

It is the compact disc of today, a dying aspect ratio!
Is it? Are you making that up or is there any news of tv manufacturers and broadcasters dropping 16:9 for a wider aspect ratio?

It was partially tongue in cheek, but I was exclusively referring to PC monitors, not TV. Broadcasting will remain 16:9 for the foreseeable no doubt. But monitors have moved on and personally I cannot see much life remaining going forwards for 16:9 monitors if the hype around QD-OLED holds up to be all accurate (which so far it does appear that way). You get 21:9 but if you want, 16:9 and no distracting borders because of the previously mentioned lack of glowing borders.

TBF for pc use, 21.9 does seem to be on the rise over the last 2 years or so.

Noticed a lot of companies have been getting 21.9 monitors too, at least in the development space. Love mine for development work, so much better for working with multiple windows and stacking side by side.

I upgraded most monitors in my old workplace to 21:9. Mine was the first and when everyone walked by they wanted one too. Chain reaction from that point. I managed to get the project signed off because I saved the business lots of money from not having to upgrade everyone's slow PCs that were on HDDs simply by cloning everyone to an SSD and productivity improved as a result too.

This is the way.

Reddit op update:

After use this monitor watching some content, especially videos, I just want to say, the color is just unbeatable even by a conventional oled like C1. It feels back to the time CRT trinitron was the rule, really looking forward a bigger QD-OLED below 55" as a monitor.

Excellent, I remember having a Mitsubishi Diamondtron and LG Flatron CRT pair back in the day, they were superb screens at 1600x1200 but obviously massive space invaders. Finally we have reached a level where PC monitors have ascended to that sort of quality level.

Excellent, I remember having a Mitsubishi Diamondtron and LG Flatron CRT pair back in the day, they were superb screens at 1600x1200 but obviously massive space invaders. Finally we have reached a level where PC monitors have ascended to that sort of quality level.

Yup it's great to see monitor's finally matching/surpassing the TV market again. For too long the monitor industry has been downright awful with people buying the same overpriced ****.

Reddit op update:

After use this monitor watching some content, especially videos, I just want to say, the color is just unbeatable even by a conventional oled like C1. It feels back to the time CRT trinitron was the rule, really looking forward a bigger QD-OLED below 55" as a monitor.

God this is going to be such an awful decision to make.... the 34" alienware or the 42" LG I'm already getting decision anxiety lol

Back
Top Bottom