World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

can’t believe how early ups was at my door!

Normally I get delivery’s around 4/5ish aka last on list

this is a July 2022 Manufactuing date with 102 firmware (latest)

Last edited:
Having been playing with HDR on my existing monitor, I came away thinking "I can take or leave that, I mean, what is it really? Just burning your retina with explosions in BL3", but actually, I keep getting draw back to it. It is rather good fun. I am still teetering on the edge, namely becuase it was only two years ago I bought a AW3821DW, but hey....
HDR depends on their implementation aswell as the quality of display - both need to be good for it to be worthwhile.

Anybody thinking of pairing this monitor (gsync version) with one of the new Radeon cards? I am tempted by the XTX.

HDR depends on their implementation aswell as the quality of display - both need to be good for it to be worthwhile.

Anybody thinking of pairing this monitor (gsync version) with one of the new Radeon cards? I am tempted by the XTX.

Waiting to see what the 7800XT is like, but it works perfectly with my current 6800

As a user of calibrated IPS panels forever, here's my personal preference for accurate colours and perfect balance of everything (to my eyes anyway).

Preset Mode: Creator with sRGB colour, 2.4 Gamma
Brightness: 53
Contrast: 66
HDR mode: Peak 1000

In Windows make sure that the display settings are suitably set and any Dell colour profiles are removed with colour preference set to "use my settings" as shown below. I prefer 10-bit colour and in srgb as I edit a lot and want maximum colour bandwidth - 10-bit means you are running at 144Hz instead of 175 (8-bit) so if that's not a problem, then stick to that otherwise you can use 8-bit and the GPU will dither effectively. I found personally that at 175Hz I could see some flickering in some games when certain dark grey tones were dominating the screen. At 144Hz this is completely gone. I read this is due to the use of the Gsync module as it's an old module now. There is no noticeable performance difference between 144Hz and 175Hz that I have found in desktop or gaming.

1:
d3X09CG.png

2:
4VDt5gw.png

3:
1j9VK4g.png

When using Windows have HDR mode turned off in Windows. OS level HDR in Windows is patchy, so only use HDR when gaming or watching a movie that is in HDR. Many games now auto trigger the SmartHDR function and will go back to normal mode when you exit the game. Likewise if you use MPC-BE with the MPC video renderer then that can be set to do the same thing when a HDR video is opened.
@mingey

Last edited:
can’t believe how early ups was at my door!

Normally I get delivery’s around 4/5ish aka last on list

this is a July 2022 Manufactuing date with 102 firmware (latest)
Mine is July 2022 as well. Not sure on firmware as haven't unboxed yet. I'd imagine it'll be the same!

The HDR on my monitor is not that good. You can't really tell that it's HDR, it just looks brighter.

Why would you pair a g-sync monitor with an XTX?

I am holding back at the moment just to see what develops in the next few weeks. See results for the XTX and decided whether to stick with NVIDIA and so whether to get the G-Sync or Freesync monitors. All of it is up in the air for me right now. From the start I have been leaning towards NVIDIA and G-Sync, but really I think Freesync would be fine. I am less inclined to go AMD but am watching the XTX with interest.

Last edited:
I am holding back at the moment just to see what develops in the next few weeks. See results for the XTX and decided whether to stick with NVIDIA and so whether to get the G-Sync or Freesync monitors. All of it is up in the air for me right now. From the start I have been leaning towards NVIDIA and G-Sync, but really I think Freesync would be fine. I am less inclined to go AMD but am watching the XTX with interest.

I'm likely just skipping this generation and holding onto my 3080
3440x1440 matches well with a 3080 and I don't play too many games up on the TV to make it worth a GPU upgrade

I believe there was an update to the gsync modules perhaps around 2019 that allows them to use freesync, so recent monitors should be fine. I have an old DELL that wouldn't work for example as it has the old module.

I only just found out that you cannot update the firmware on these but you can on the upcoming cheaper one. Seems odd.

Yeah the firmware update plus point on the FreeSync one is quite compelling going forwards. Wonder if they also have the 3 year burn in warranty too.

Yeah the firmware update plus point on the FreeSync one is quite compelling going forwards. Wonder if they also have the 3 year burn in warranty too.

I did consider this, but knowing I will be selling this in at most a couple years time and going 4K I can’t be asked. I am very happy with this panel and don’t want to take any chances :)

Back
Top Bottom