World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

One positive is the three year warranty, hopefully means the £800 odd covers a replacement at some point if you get my drift..

Black version listed is AW3423DWF

Not gsync lists freesync, although as mentioned in this thread they are cross compatible.

Last edited:
The reviews say it is qd oled so I think the Samsung listing is wrong potentially?

Edit sorry not a review: https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/samsu...-with-34-qd-oled-panel-and-175hz-refresh-rate

It can't be QD-OLED as none of the specs on the Samsung product pages mention QD anywhere and if it was then it would also have the Peak 1000 mode too and the marketing would mention the Quantum Dots tech as Samsung do this on every display that uses QD.

Samsung have been odd with this. They even list the S95B as "OLED" on box, not mentioning the QD part.

They were going to buy OLED panels from LG and launch a whole range of OLED displays (TVs and monitors) with their QD-OLED being the premium top price models but the LG deal fell through. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that this has something to do with them labelling their displays as OLED and not making a big deal out of it

Seems very bizarre really, their own in-house OLED tech and not even a single mention of it even on the product page or images like how the AW has. Makes zero sense at all.

Samsung to start making 27 inch QD-OLED panels, first customer will be Apple (so these are likely 27 inch 4k 60hz panels)

Last edited:
A premium design doesn't make it worth £1300 though if it doesn't have the same premium specs and warranty! What if you get burn-in after a year? You're stuffed!

It does to me. I don’t care how cheap the Alienware is, it looks terrible. White plastic and the gamer aesthetic.

I’d happily pay the extra for the Samsung, personally

Plus with 65w charging I can use a single cable for my laptop when working.

It is 100% a QD OLED panel. No one else makes a 34 inch OLED.

Last edited:
White plastic and the gamer aesthetic.
This is only the case if you use the stock stand and are regularly looking at the back of the monitor. I can happily say that since being a PC user, I have never once looked at the back of the monitor after day 1 of unboxing it and plugging stuff in at the back.

Other than that though, the rest seems fine as long as it is indeed QD-OLED. The only sticking point would be the lack of burn-in warranty. But with it being all metal, I would suspect that some type of heatsink is being used which contacts the casing to act as a method to draw out any heat generated by the panel effectively - Will await reviews to confirm this with hopefully a teardown. This would mean a burn-in warranty is not necessary like how the Asus PG42UQ has a heatsink and they claim has no burn-in. Although the PG has various other issues instead lol.

This is only the case if you use the stock stand and are regularly looking at the back of the monitor. I can happily say that since being a PC user, I have never once looked at the back of the monitor after day 1 of unboxing it and plugging stuff in at the back.

Other than that though, the rest seems fine as long as it is indeed QD-OLED. The only sticking point would be the lack of burn-in warranty. But with it being all metal, I would suspect that some type of heatsink is being used which contacts the casing to act as a method to draw out any heat generated by the panel effectively - Will await reviews to confirm this with hopefully a teardown. This would mean a burn-in warranty is not necessary like how the Asus PG42UQ has a heatsink and they claim has no burn-in. Although the PG has various other issues instead lol.

I doubt there’s a heat sink - Samsung would definitely say if it had one :p

I use the stand the monitor comes with - I don’t use arms

The other big thing though is speakers - sounds crazy, but having built in speakers is so useful. Just for YouTube or a bit of TV etc

Interesting, so Nvidia GPU & Freesync monitor = HDR OR Gsync, not both
but AMD GPU and Gsync monitor = HDR & Freesync?

Gsync + HDR will both work at the same time regardless of what GPU you have, here's an old video showing just that with regular GSync + HDR: https://youtu.be/g0FMF97oKaM?t=865

'Gsync compatible' is 99% of the time a FreeSync monitor anyway, it just undergoes the extended testing to comply with GSync standards, 'GSync' and 'GSync Ultimate' have the dedicated processor in the monitor. Ultimate just adds a bit more testing and HDR 1000 certification.

Edit*
Worth keeping in mind that GSync Ultimate will go from 1Hz to the max refresh rate for the full VRR range giving the best experience. There is a good breakdown of LFC/VRR differences etc here: https://www.displayninja.com/g-sync-compatible-vs-native-g-sync/ - Even though the current GSync Ultimate module is a few years old now, it still offers the best experience.

Essentially it's a bit confusing, but for the absolute best experience, you want a monitor with FreeSync Premium Pro, or GSync Ultimate.

Last edited:
Gsync + HDR will both work at the same time regardless of what GPU you have, here's an old video showing just that with regular GSync + HDR: https://youtu.be/g0FMF97oKaM?t=865

'Gsync compatible' is 99% of the time a FreeSync monitor anyway, it just undergoes the extended testing to comply with GSync standards, 'GSync' and 'GSync Ultimate' have the dedicated processor in the monitor. Ultimate just adds a bit more testing and HDR 1000 certification.

Edit*
Worth keeping in mind that GSync Ultimate will go from 1Hz to the max refresh rate for the full VRR range giving the best experience. There is a good breakdown of LFC/VRR differences etc here: https://www.displayninja.com/g-sync-compatible-vs-native-g-sync/ - Even though the current GSync Ultimate module is a few years old now, it still offers the best experience.

Essentially it's a bit confusing, but for the absolute best experience, you want a monitor with FreeSync Premium Pro, or GSync Ultimate.

Thanks, I was a bit confused by what @LambChop posted - not that it affects me atm, since the AW3423DW is Gsync ultimate and HDR+adaptivesync works fine for me together

I've got a G Sync Compatible monitor and a FreeSync monitor, and unfortunately, in my experience, they're not equal in performance.

Close, but I've had some bugs and issues with the FreeSync display not working properly with G Sync. I don't think it's the cables, because I had the G Sync Compatible monitor first, and just swapped the cables to the FreeSync one when I started using that as my primary display.

I'd love to get an OLED monitor, but I don't think it would be wise for me, as I use my monitors for work too, mostly on work calls

I've got a G Sync Compatible monitor and a FreeSync monitor, and unfortunately, in my experience, they're not equal in performance.

Close, but I've had some bugs and issues with the FreeSync display not working properly with G Sync. I don't think it's the cables, because I had the G Sync Compatible monitor first, and just swapped the cables to the FreeSync one when I started using that as my primary display.

I'd love to get an OLED monitor, but I don't think it would be wise for me, as I use my monitors for work too, mostly on work calls

You get 3 years warranty for that. After that sell on and buy another or something else. That’s my plan. Will sell it when 3-6 months warranty remaining and buy something else :)

When the pixel refresh runs, is the monitor supposed to turn itself back on? I've just been turning it back on when the power button LED stops flashing.

The early firmwares didn't turn the screen back on if the pixel refresh ran when Windows puts the monitor into standby mode (assuming you have sleep modes set to do that in Windows) - Since firmware 102 this does happen as expected.

My biggest gripe with the qd-oled tech is it loses its perfect blacks with any kind of ambient lighting. I'm wondering if it due to the affect that adding a polariser filter would reduce the peak brightness?

Back
Top Bottom