World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

I've turned off the warning too. Just find it odd it doesn't turn itself back on after the refresh. If it runs when I switch off the pc and goes into standby mode then that should be fine I'd imagine!

What firmware and display revision? Mine is A03 with firmware 102 and it does go back to standby mode and wake up after a pixel refresh if I leave the PC on and go do other things and come back to move the mouse etc.

My revision was one of the earlier ones too and it didn't wake up or standby after pixel refresh whereas the replacement on A03/102 does so yep sounds like you have the early one like a bunch of us did!

My revision was one of the earlier ones too and it didn't wake up or standby after pixel refresh whereas the replacement on A03/102 does so yep sounds like you have the early one like a bunch of us did!

Ah okay, thank you. It's not really bothering me enough to ask for a replacement. Everything is perfect and the fan is super quiet!

Reactions: mrk
Hmm looks like the F version is just as accurate for colours as the non F, seems Dell's factory sRGB calibration is getting tighter each revision now, from reddit:

L6UAzwK.jpg

All but that one red tone below deltaE of 1, that is superb.

EDIT*
Can someone who has used the Windows HDR Calibration tool test something please? In Display Settings check with HDR enabled, what Windows says the peak brightness is? The AW is supposed to have a max peak of 1060 nits, but Windows shows 2700 nits.

I reran the calibration tool again for HDR and paid attention to the numbers on the slider which showed 2700just like before. 2700 is the value at which I can see the gal square is perfectly 1:1 to what it should be.

INdX088.png

ApTlpnC.jpg

So what's going on here I wonder, is there actually 2070 nits? Otherwise why would the slider in both instances during the calibration tool match the goal square at 2070?

Last edited:
Can someone who has used the Windows HDR Calibration tool test something please? In Display Settings check with HDR enabled, what Windows says the peak brightness is? The AW is supposed to have a max peak of 1060 nits, but Windows shows 2700 nits.

I reran the calibration tool again for HDR and paid attention to the numbers on the slider which showed 2070 just like before. 2070 is the value at which I can see the gal square is perfectly 1:1 to what it should be.
Mine says 1000 nit since setting it to that in the hdr calibration tool.

It's original default was 1060, but the bar disappears at 1000 for me when using the tool.

Mine says 1000 nit since setting it to that in the hdr calibration tool.

It's original default was 1060, but the bar disappears at 1000 for me when using the tool.
Are you in HDR 400 mode or Peak 1000? I'm in 1000 and the bar disappears at exactly 2070 in both luminance screens.

Are you in HDR 400 mode or Peak 1000? I'm in 1000 and the bar disappears at exactly 2070 in both luminance screens.
Peak 1000 - I think it could be a bug, ive seen it report my C9 at 1500 before and it needed 1500 in the app. After a restart it was back to 800 and only needed 800 in the app for the bar to disappear.

Hmm looks like the F version is just as accurate for colours as the non F, seems Dell's factory sRGB calibration is getting tighter each revision now, from reddit:

L6UAzwK.jpg

EDIT*

I reran the calibration tool again for HDR and paid attention to the numbers on the slider which showed 2700just like before. 2700 is the value at which I can see the gal square is perfectly 1:1 to what it should be.

INdX088.png

ApTlpnC.jpg

So what's going on here I wonder, is there actually 2070 nits? Otherwise why would the slider in both instances during the calibration tool match the goal square at 2070?

Weird, my AW34 usually comes up with just over 1000 nits in that menu and tends to clip around 1000 in the calibration app.

But am I surprised? Not at all, HDR is so freakin broken in Windows its not funny.

I'm don't think the monitor is 2000 nits or Alienware would have said so, its more likely a Windows problem.
And why is Windows saying your monitor is gsync ultimate when it's not? another bug

Last edited:
So they are both effectively the same price. So what's the verdict people, which one is the best to get?
(I am rapidly approaching decision time on this and am still torn between the two).

Last edited:

L6UAzwK.jpg

EDIT*

INdX088.png

ApTlpnC.jpg

I have the AW3821DW and frequently find the same issue. The monitor is an HDR600, but it calibrates to approximately double that with the tool. I also find this in games that have calibration, it calibrates at about double the actual figure. I suspect it's just a lack of understanding on my part and I never looked in to it.

Someone on Reddit has the F version: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/yttl46/probably_the_first_aw3423dwf_on_the_internet_and/

Initial notes:

It also has a new firmware out that fixes a loud fan noise issue:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...57&oscode=w2021&productcode=aw3423dwf-monitor

Curious that it has no 10-bit mode at 144Hz, this indicates to me that there is no focus on colour accuracy like with the DW has, probably not a huge issue for most, but for those who value out of the box accuracy built into the panel, this could be a miss.

That seems odd to me (That there is no 10 bit). Surely that is a really good reason to get the DW rather than the DWF?

Hi chaps, I could really use some of your collective wisdom. Sorry for the wall of text I am about to subject you to.

I bought this gem of a monitor on Saturday the 5th Nov and it was delivered last week on Wednesday. Purchase price was £846 using a discount code and I also have a cashback claim in place.

I've had a chance to play around with it over the weekend and I'm in overall awe with the picture quality in comparison to my IPS XB271HU monitor.
  • No pixel or uniformity issues.
  • No discernable flickering (some minor VRR/G-SYNC fluctuation during paused menu in Outer Wilds).
  • I cannot notice or am not bothered by the text clarity / fringing having come from a similar PPI display.
  • Elevated blacks during the day are dissapointing but it still looks miles better than my IPS.
  • July 22 manufacturing date, M0B102 FW ver.
I have two issues however with one of them being a deal breaker. The first issue (not a deal breaker) is that I have bubble wrap imprints and marks along the top half of the screen; I haven't properly gone at it with a microfiber cloth but did do gently when it arrived which removed only a minor amount of the markings.

The second big issue which is a deal breaker is the fan noise which has started doing my head in. To share some context, my PC is on the floor to the right of me and has a mix of 140mm Noctua and BeQuiet fans. I previously had all Noctua but they generated some odd harmonic resonance at low RPM which drove my crazy. There's also a server to my left with a similar fan setup where I have set up scripts to turn off the screeching hard drives during idle (yup, I'm super anal about noise).

Now, the monitor fan noise. It's okay within the first 15-30m of web browsing but after the initial period and once it warms up it'll start spinning at a rather uncomfortable frequency and can be heard from a normal seating distance of about just over an arms length. If I put my ear near the panel, the sound is obviously much louder and distinct. Honestly it almost sounds like someone is using the vacuum somewhere in the house. Room temp fluctuates between ~19-21 degrees. Someone on Reddit /u/NartDota captured the noise which sounds similar to mine, albeit amplified: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G16Q0Eb-lrgTs8KPyydAgNqIzWIj3-s3/view

On top of that it also does a whooshing fan noise (which is the panel fan itself as I understand it?) at random intervals but this doesn't bother me as much due to its irregularity and more pleasant acoustic tone. I cannot hear it during gaming when PC fans and audio kick in. I don't usually wear the headphones due to having bookshelf speakers. I also have a minor case of tinnitus which most would think would drown out noise, but nope.

I don't know what to do. As I've said I'm in awe with the screen, paid a fair price but don't think I can live with the noise.
  • Other people report no fan noise or can only barely hear it when placing ear next to screen, so did I get unlucky? I think it's either:
    • They really have minimal fan noise.
    • They have other noise sources drowning out the noise.
    • They are not sensitive to the noise.
    • They are partially deaf and unaware, perhaps tinnitus is drowning it out.
  • Do I gamble a screen replacement in the hopes I get one with no marks and lower noise?
  • Should I return it and wait for the AWF version to release in the UK at the cost of gsync which as I understand it doesnt really add that much apart from an extended VRR range?

TL/DR: Bought AW3423DW and its gorgeous but 2 issues, one screen marks and other fan noise. I'm anal about noise and can hear a faint vacuum noise during non-gaming from the screen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom