World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Gsync + HDR will both work at the same time regardless of what GPU you have, here's an old video showing just that with regular GSync + HDR: https://youtu.be/g0FMF97oKaM?t=865

'Gsync compatible' is 99% of the time a FreeSync monitor anyway, it just undergoes the extended testing to comply with GSync standards, 'GSync' and 'GSync Ultimate' have the dedicated processor in the monitor. Ultimate just adds a bit more testing and HDR 1000 certification.

Edit*
Worth keeping in mind that GSync Ultimate will go from 1Hz to the max refresh rate for the full VRR range giving the best experience. There is a good breakdown of LFC/VRR differences etc here: https://www.displayninja.com/g-sync-compatible-vs-native-g-sync/ - Even though the current GSync Ultimate module is a few years old now, it still offers the best experience.

Essentially it's a bit confusing, but for the absolute best experience, you want a monitor with FreeSync Premium Pro, or GSync Ultimate.

From my understanding, that should be impossible, i.e. Having Gsync and HDR running on a freesync (gsync compatible monitor). Took a few mins to google, found this....

Has it been changed since last year, i.e. made an improvement ?

Anybody use this for everyday work, what's it like? Confused about it not showing text as sharp as non oled monitors. I only do light gaming such as football manager, cities skyline, anno series, etc. Not really into FPS gaming. Have oled TV which I love but not sure if to go oled for work/light gaming monitor :)

From my understanding, that should be impossible, i.e. Having Gsync and HDR running on a freesync (gsync compatible monitor). Took a few mins to google, found this....

HDR + Gsync works on my GSync compatible 2020 LG CX. Looking at the freesync 'tiers' only premium pro shows HDR as supported so could be the monitor they tested didn't meet the necessary specs.

My biggest gripe with the qd-oled tech is it loses its perfect blacks with any kind of ambient lighting. I'm wondering if it due to the affect that adding a polariser filter would reduce the peak brightness?

It's not any kind of ambient lighting. It's more prone to not showing true black in a bright room, but other than that it needs pretty much light to be shining directly on it for it to look any less than black and it's unlikely you'll be shining light at it

Anybody use this for everyday work, what's it like? Confused about it not showing text as sharp as non oled monitors. I only do light gaming such as football manager, cities skyline, anno series, etc. Not really into FPS gaming. Have oled TV which I love but not sure if to go oled for work/light gaming monitor :)

I honestly can't tell the difference in the text between this and my previous LCD screen.
Maybe I was already using clear type, or need glasses. I don't know, I just know that I can't tell it apart in that regard.

It's not any kind of ambient lighting. It's more prone to not showing true black in a bright room, but other than that it needs pretty much light to be shining directly on it for it to look any less than black and it's unlikely you'll be shining light at it
I am currently in a room with only 2/4 curtains open. In the room is this AW, an LG oled. The AW is back to the window and I can clearly see it is grey compared to the LG.

Been using it for work (and gaming) since I got it in April, no issues at all :)

I use it for some work but I can appreciate text clarity is worse than IPS.

If it was mostly work I was doing I'd go for a hi res IPS panel. I have an old Dell U2515H which I use alongside the Alienware and I can see the difference.

Last edited:
I use it for some work but I can appreciate text clarity is worse than IPS.

If it was mostly work I was doing I'd go for a hi res IPS panel. I have an old Dell U2515H which I use alongside the Alienware and I can see the difference.
Funnily enough that's exact monitor I use at the moment and I love it !
Will try and find somewhere I can see it in person and see.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Haven’t checked in for a while. Nothing but good to report. Still impressed by its motion clarity and hdr gaming. Its been paired with a S95B 65in for the living room so nice to have QD oled as my two main displays.

Last edited:
When the pixel refresh runs, is the monitor supposed to turn itself back on? I've just been turning it back on when the power button LED stops flashing.

Yeah mine did. I've now turned off the prompt, and mine does the pixel refresher once I'm done with the PC and it goes into standby (depending how long I've been using it).

This way stops any interruptions.

Reactions: TNA
Oh, that's not really much less and is way later than I wanted a monitor. I'll get the current one, though I lost out as now the 20% code doesn't work and I don't know anyone who can get another

Last edited:
I think I'm still going to opt for the new variant, only downside seems to be a difference of 10hz and g-sync ultimate (though you get freesync premium pro) - Am I missing anything else nothworthy? And for those downsides you seem to get upgradeable firmware, 1 less fan, extra features like PiP &PBP and a slimer design. Will wait for reviews but that's my thinking so far.

I think I'm still going to opt for the new variant, only downside seems to be a difference of 10hz and g-sync ultimate (though you get freesync premium pro) - Am I missing anything else nothworthy? And for those downsides you seem to get upgradeable firmware, 1 less fan, extra features like PiP &PBP and a slimer design. Will wait for reviews but that's my thinking so far.

Guess just weigh up if the downsides outweigh the positives. I for example have never used PIP on any device I have ever owned but others might.

Someone on Reddit has the F version: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/yttl46/probably_the_first_aw3423dwf_on_the_internet_and/

Initial notes:
  1. Cannot hear fan noise after using it for a while
  2. 10 bit is not available with 165/144Hz
  3. Could not feel any extra latencies
  4. Lack of G-Sync ultimate is not a deal breaker
  5. Lack of 10 bit + 144Hz is not a deal breaker
  6. Could be held by $30 Vivo monitor arm, recommend better one
  7. Feels nice overall, think this is a much better choice over G9 / Neo G9 for my usage.
It also has a new firmware out that fixes a loud fan noise issue:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...57&oscode=w2021&productcode=aw3423dwf-monitor
Fixes & Enhancements
  1. Fixes loud fan noise after prolong use

Curious that it has no 10-bit mode at 144Hz, this indicates to me that there is no focus on colour accuracy like with the DW has, probably not a huge issue for most, but for those who value out of the box accuracy built into the panel, this could be a miss.

Back
Top Bottom