World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Yup it's great to see monitor's finally matching/surpassing the TV market again. For too long the monitor industry has been downright awful with people buying the same overpriced ****.

It's the reaosn why I have had the LG 34UM95-P for so long, whilst there are screens that have higher refresh rates, Freesync/Gsync etc, nothing really stood out as better for picture quality or backlight bleed and I am only interested in 21:9 34"! That and the hardware LUT this monitor has so the calibration is stored directly on the monitor for all input sources to benefit from. Doesn't look like the Alienware has a built in LUT for the same thing, but if the out of box calibration is as good as it seems to be, then this won't be an issue really for me.

From a Chinese user that got it: "Then there are the shortcomings, because the non-glossy screen used in the display does not feel as transparent as the glossy screen, and the black is not as pure black as the C1, and it is a bit grayish, which is more obvious when looking at the black and white tones of the comics.

Another shortcoming may vary from person to person. I am used to C1, but I really feel that the 34-inch fish screen is a bit small

. Maybe I still have to wait for a 48- or 42-inch QD-OLED TV. Coupled with the transparency of the mirror screen, perfect"

For third person games I prefer 21:9 for the cinematic look.
In that case shouldn't you be also capping framerate to 24 fps?
Because that "cinematic look" is the excuse used for maintaining that prehistoric low frame rate.

Yup that's the beauty of 21:9 and OLED, 16:9 resolutions are free from the black bars looking dark grey because of IPS glow or backlight bleed - Best of both worlds. But then again people need to let 16:9 go I say :D

It is the compact disc of today, a dying aspect ratio!
Only thing dying is human intelligence.
Here's the proof:
I remember having a Mitsubishi Diamondtron and LG Flatron CRT pair back in the day, they were superb screens at 1600x1200 but obviously massive space invaders...
And what else super/ultra low screens are than desk space hogs for low cap in image height!

36" 16:9 wouldn't need any more desk space than 24" 21:9!
http://www.displaywars.com/34-inch-21x9-vs-36-inch-16x9
While giving almost 1/3 bigger screen surface area.
Actually even 32" 16:9 has slightly bigger screen surface area while consuming clearly less desk space.

And I myself had one of those 19" CRTs for plenty of experience of having to use space for little return.

I upgraded most monitors in my old workplace to 21:9. Mine was the first and when everyone walked by they wanted one too.
Now that's as biased to hell and back as Putinistan's elections.
You should have had there some 32" 4K next to it as comparison.
Only then result would be valid in any way.

https://www.getfeedback.com/resources/online-surveys/7-deadly-survey-questions/

From a Chinese user that got it: "Then there are the shortcomings, because the non-glossy screen used in the display does not feel as transparent as the glossy screen, and the black is not as pure black as the C1, and it is a bit grayish, which is more obvious when looking at the black and white tones of the comics.

Another shortcoming may vary from person to person. I am used to C1, but I really feel that the 34-inch fish screen is a bit small

. Maybe I still have to wait for a 48- or 42-inch QD-OLED TV. Coupled with the transparency of the mirror screen, perfect"
Really is a shame they did not go glossy. Lucky for me though I am still using my 27” 4K IPS monitor (which I am still happy with by the way) that has light anti-glare coating. From that point of view I will have the same vertical space and much better blacks anyway so upgrades all round for me :D

Lucky for me I only have a LG OLED only in the living room which I rarely use for gaming, so won’t feel like I am missing out on proper blacks.

For 2 people who supposedly can't stand 21.9 format, they do seem to like spending a lot of time in this thread :cry: :D

Looks like Mike is over on reddit too @TNA

bOSNO04.png

He13qbA.png

IxnABuc.png

Them downvotes too...

:cry:

Not sure why it is so hard to find that plenty of people out there love the 21.9 format. Also, just have a look at the majority of youtubers out there, a vast majority of them use 21.9 monitors.... Deal with it, 21.9 isn't going anywhere :cool: ;) :p

EDIT:

Obviously not a great indication of amount of users out there but reddit count:

5EetGEd.png

bLuEKKs.png

Look at when they were created too ;)

EDIT:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/rd2mux/mecca/

Last edited:
For 2 people who supposedly can't stand 21.9 format, they do seem to like spending a lot of time in this thread :cry: :D

bOSNO04.png

He13qbA.png

IxnABuc.png

Them downvotes too...

Not sure why it is so hard to find that plenty of people out there love the 21.9 format. Also, just have a look at the majority of youtubers out there, a vast majority of them use 21.9 monitors.... Deal with it, 21.9 isn't going anywhere :cool: ;) :p

EDIT:

5EetGEd.png

bLuEKKs.png

EDIT:

Lol. Not sure if there is an agenda or just trying to justify not buying one and missing out to themselves :p

I mean I may end up with a C1 48” instead due to price, but does not take anything away from the Alienware.

Lol. Not sure if there is an agenda or just trying to justify not buying one and missing out to themselves :p

I mean I may end up with a C1 48” instead due to price, but does not take anything away from the Alienware.

Think the below has never been more true ;) :p :cry: :D

giphy.gif

At the end of the day there is a lot of choice for people who don't like 21.9 format. 34" 21.9 for me and a lot of people is the perfect size, I couldn't stand the thought of using anything bigger, let alone a 42 or 48" as a "desk" monitor.

I'd probably consider a 38" UW if the first OLED had been that size, but 34" is already difficult to push frames in some titles.

I couldn't stand the thought of using anything bigger, let alone a 42 or 48" as a "desk" monitor.

Gotta say, going from my AW38 to the AW34 is gonna be painful size-wise.. I upgraded from the X34 to the AW38 - it seemed huge then, but I quickly got used to the extra size. Now I think I'll miss it when it's gone :(

@Nexus18 that screencap of the quote saying UW is a nich [sic] is quite hilarious :D

In that case shouldn't you be also capping framerate to 24 fps?
Because that "cinematic look" is the excuse used for maintaining that prehistoric low frame rate.

Only thing dying is human intelligence.
Here's the proof:
And what else super/ultra low screens are than desk space hogs for low cap in image height!

Actually even 32" 16:9 has slightly bigger screen surface area while consuming clearly less desk space.

And I myself had one of those 19" CRTs for plenty of experience of having to use space for little return.

Now that's as biased to hell and back as Putinistan's elections.
You should have had there some 32" 4K next to it as comparison.
Only then result would be valid in any way.

https://www.getfeedback.com/resources/online-surveys/7-deadly-survey-questions/

I had to read this twice just to try and make sense of it but even still I'm not understanding what you are trying to say. Your post simply makes little to no sense.

No, because that would be stupid.

Agreed, what is going on with the forums lately, randomly people seem to have lost their minds in a number of threads since yesterday...

Last edited:
It looks to be a great monitor but I won't be getting one, cant justify such an expensive product when I already have the CX...
I'll just run my LG at 3840x1600 and pretend I am superior :p

bOSNO04.png

He13qbA.png

IxnABuc.png

Them downvotes too...

EDIT:

5EetGEd.png

bLuEKKs.png

EDIT:

What the hell are you up to. That was a disgusting move. And who the hell is that guy, you says it's me!
It's definetly not me!

You really gone over the line here buddy. Damn shame to see you act like this!

Ultrawide. You might think it makes you sound smart and edgy and unique calling them ultra "low", but it really doesn't. It just makes it obvious to everyone that you don't have a clue what you're talking about :cry:

And yet only one of those monitor sizes actually exists. How strange. Almost as if there's no demand for it...

As someone else has already posted, despite the fact you clearly really hate the ultrawide format, you seem to feel the need to spend a lot of time trashing every single ultrawide thread posting about it. We're in here to discuss a monitor which quite obviously isn't for you, so I don't know what you expect to gain from it? I don't think anyone in here is even slightly interested in your opinions about it to be honest. :)

^^

"No! You must hate 21.9 like I do and shun it as I do!" :mad:

;) :p

What the hell are you up to. That was a disgusting move. And who the hell is that guy, you says it's me!
It's definetly not me!

You really gone over the line here buddy. Damn shame to see you act like this!

Given you have been posting the "exact" same thing multiple times in a few threads now i.e. "crap vertical res.", "awful AR", "I'll stick with my cx" etc. it's hard not to believe it isn't you :p If not, then she/he must be your twin then :p ;)

But seriously we get it loud and clear, you don't like 21.9, you don't need to continually tell us :)

Anyway back on topic, reddit update:

Regrading of banding, no, I didn't noticed any banding like those I see on C1 even under full white or gray screen.

That has been pretty much the only downside of oled, on 5% grey slides it was quite noticeable, I got lucky with my 55" e7 but it certainly wasn't 100% free of vertical banding.

My only concern so far is the text clarity as i would be using this not just for gaming...

Will definitely be getting it and doing a side by side comparison, fingers crossed its not too bad, otherwise it will probably be going back, although I guess the other option is pick up a cheap and cheerful 4k 2nd monitor for everything else

Banding on LG oled was mainly due to lack of processing when set as PC/Console and the way TV handle color input.
Alienware shouldnt have any banding even though its technically 8 bit panel.

My only concern so far is the text clarity as i would be using this not just for gaming...

Will definitely be getting it and doing a side by side comparison, fingers crossed its not too bad, otherwise it will probably be going back, although I guess the other option is pick up a cheap and cheerful 4k 2nd monitor for everything else

Yeah it's hard to say about text clarity as he is comparing it to a 4k lg c1, I think on the whole it will be good when compared to standard similar sized/ppi LCD monitors, mainly because of the lack of a "matte" coating.

As long as it's not considerably worse than my 34" iiyama (which has a rather grainy/heavy matte coating) for text, I'll be happy.

Banding on LG oled was mainly due to lack of processing when set as PC/Console and the way TV handle color input.
Alienware shouldnt have any banding even though its technically 8 bit panel.

I think he meant in reference to oleds physical display trait i.e. this:

FTJKsWs.png

I wouldn't expect any "gradient" banding on this:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php

EDIT:

Update on the text clarity:

Anyway, adjustment with ClearType do help with the clarity.

Back
Top Bottom