World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Samsung Odyssey G8 34” sounds good but the RRP price tag is pretty fierce. It’ll need to be seriously good to justify that kind of money.

If they were the same kind of money I’d rather have the Samsung based on my previous poor experiences with Dell/Alienware branded hardware though.

Last edited:
Yup,most nights I go to sleep and press the power button and let it to a pixel refresh. When I wake up and log into work soon as the screen is on there's a popup asking for a pixel refresh :p
I had that when I dismissed the 1st popup rather than press the option for it not to show again. I then factory reset the monitor to get the popup again and click the right option, and now I turn the screen of at night and it refreshes but doesn't pop up in the morning. It also refreshes if I've been working a few hours and go afk long enough for my screensaver to kick in. Not had a 2nd popup since I factory reset.

Does the F version works with Gsync as well?(3080 FE).

Yes, it does. Both the DW and the DWF work with NVIDIA and AMD. The only difference is that the DW with G-Sync has a slightly lower range than the DWF. The DW goes all the way down to 32fps, whereas the DWF to 48fps. In my case, I always tweak games settings so I achieve more than 60Hz at all times so it was no big deal. The fact that the DWF has less fans and you could also update the firmware was the deciding factor. The only other meaningful difference between the two monitors is that the DWF only works in 8-bit above 120Hz. This, however, is not a problem because graphics cards do magic to correct for that little comminication issue and the end result is said to be indistinguishable from 10-bit.

I did a U-turn and decided to keep mine after seeing that coil wine video on the F. Granted it's only a couple of occurrences but that would annoy me way more than the fan and the fan only annoys me when I work from home and don't have speakers on.

Plus a black one doesn't look as good with the rest of my stuff. Oh and I was lucky to have no pixel issues etc so feel I'd be tempting fate.

I found it interesting that in the Toms HW review the reviewer gave a lot of reasons for using HDR400 over 1000. This is one of those things I think you just tinker with and go with what you think looks best. I tried it on No Mans Sky and it looked awful regardless, NMS makes you choose 400/600/1000 in the options, and it did not look right at all on any of them. I have a love/hate with HDR, sometimes it just seems great as soon as I turn it on, other times I think this doesn't look right at all.

I also find it weird that having Creator mode -DCthingy on looks way different to Standard with the same brightness/contrast set, I really don't get a lot of this colour space stuff at all.
Perhaps guilty of following blindly, no offence to MRK but his advice was based on his use case and clearly values accuracy. I think I am conditioned to the more over saturated colours I won't get with that. I get it though, people get anxiety that they are not getting the best out of their display and hope there are some settings out there that will give them the answers.

Last edited:
I'm talking about the panel refresh which runs every 1500 hours iirc.

Pixel refresh you're talking about runs every 4 hours.

Time is counted even when the monitor is in standby mode too so will seem that it happens more often.
Since energy prices went through the roof, I have started switched everything off. So monitor always gets switched off from the mains when I go to sleep.

Since energy prices went through the roof, I have started switched everything off. So monitor always gets switched off from the mains when I go to sleep.

I don't go that far but that is because I got one of those things that measures power draw and saw it was nothing like how I thought so wasn't worth the effort. Always going to switch off via the button though.

Last edited:
I don't go that far but that is because I got one of those things that measures power draw and saw it was nothing like how I thought so wasn't worth the effort. Always going to switch off via the button though.

I used to not bother before also. But in my office the plug when everything is off shows 15-16w which at the silly prices energy has gone up by makes a decent enough difficult that I now switch it off. I mean it is easy enough. I flick on switch which my extension is on and turns off all the devices in my office completely. The money saved from that easily pays for electricity used for gaming these days :D

Yes, it does. Both the DW and the DWF work with NVIDIA and AMD. The only difference is that the DW with G-Sync has a slightly lower range than the DWF. The DW goes all the way down to 32fps, whereas the DWF to 48fps. In my case, I always tweak games settings so I achieve more than 60Hz at all times so it was no big deal. The fact that the DWF has less fans and you could also update the firmware was the deciding factor. The only other meaningful difference between the two monitors is that the DWF only works in 8-bit above 120Hz. This, however, is not a problem because graphics cards do magic to correct for that little comminication issue and the end result is said to be indistinguishable from 10-bit.

Good info,just a heads up ,the DW with g-sync works right down to 1.
I'd still personally get the freesync one.

Last edited:
Its just a new habit after the huge rise in energy prices. Used to leave everything on standby, had underfloor heating in my bathroom on 24/7, heating would be on by now (it's not now) and my monthly combined was around £150.00ish. After the increase it went up to £350-400 plus a month. Now underfloor heating is permanently off. Every night I go round switching off most of the appliances from the mains, no central heating on yet lights are rarely left on either and my bill is about the same as before the increase. Anyway it's off topic so I apologise :)

Its just a new habit after the huge rise in energy prices. Used to leave everything on standby, had underfloor heating in my bathroom on 24/7, heating would be on by now (it's not now) and my monthly combined was around £150.00ish. After the increase it went up to £350-400 plus a month. Now underfloor heating is permanently off. Every night I go round switching off most of the appliances from the mains, no central heating on yet lights are rarely left on either and my bill is about the same as before the increase. Anyway it's off topic so I apologise :)

Not at all. It's all relevant.

I was messing about with the monitor settings and the colour profiles and I don't know what I did but suddenly the colour changed to how I wanted it and I have no idea how I did it but I'm not complaining. I decided to put it on 175 Hertz mode just because. I haven't noticed any of this flickering thing yet, nor am I going to read about when people see it because then I'll notice it.

Last edited:

I did the same. I found that by paying attention to the small items I was able to reduce my bill to the same as it was before the increases.

I have been keeping an eye out for the AW3423DWF and so far it has not appeared for sale again. Obviously they are out of stock since they aren't supposed to be in stock for another eight days, but I still don't know whether the jungle made a mistake putting them up for sale or whether they already sold their allocation. Anyway, we are getting close now, could be any day they appear again. *taps fingers on desk*.

I have been keeping an eye out for the AW3423DWF and so far it has not appeared for sale again. Obviously they are out of stock since they aren't supposed to be in stock for another eight days, but I still don't know whether the jungle made a mistake putting them up for sale or whether they already sold their allocation. Anyway, we are getting close now, could be any day they appear again. *taps fingers on desk*.
I saw, I think it was a Reddit post by Alienware themselves, saying the F version will be available in the UK on 6th December at £929

Anyone know when the AW3423DW is supposed to be back in stock?
Dell Sales haven't got a date at the moment. I know, I asked them yesterday.

I saw, I think it was a Reddit post by Alienware themselves, saying the F version will be available in the UK on 6th December at £929

Yes! Amazon did put it up for sale at the wrong price. Then they did it again on the 25th Nov. I was one of the people who bought it, I paid £879 for it. It just remains to be seen whether it will actually appear on that date and what the final price will be.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom