World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Dell found some more monitors, lol. The deal has been extended. It's gone down to 68% now. I note that Amazon still don't have any in, so it seems like the right decision to place the order with Dell.

I ordered the AW3423DWF on the 5th December on the Dell website, only today has the status changed from 'Confirmed' to 'In Production', when ordering it gave me an original shipping/delivery date of 7th December, obviously that's not going to happen but at the moment that date still hasn't changed so who knows :confused:

my waterpump remains the loudest part of my PC setup
That's reassuring

The fan will depend on how hard you drive the monitor. If you use sensible brightness, dark desktop setting, avoid very bright wallpapers, don't leave very white items on the screen for long then all of those things keep the panel cooler. In turn they also help avoid burn-in.

My PC is silent when idle, so it could be a distraction, but I am not getting rid of my old monitor. The new one will be off for everything except for the thing it was designed for - games! During games it can make as much noise as it likes, because the speakers will be making more!
Ok, we will see I guess. I game in a dark environment, so my brightness will be very low. My current monitors brightness is at about 10%. I'm pretty much always in the dark haha, so all of my devices brightness are just over bare minimum too. You just dont need brightness in the dark, too much and its irritating on the eyeballs. I think I was a vampire in a previous life xD

That's reassuring

Ok, we will see I guess. I game in a dark environment, so my brightness will be very low. My current monitors brightness is at about 10%. I'm pretty much always in the dark haha, so all of my devices brightness are just over bare minimum too. You just dont need brightness in the dark, too much and its irritating on the eyeballs. I think I was a vampire in a previous life xD
Same here. And in a room like that you can run the monitor in (true black) HDR400 in games. I find that HDR1000 is utterly blinding in my room, lol.

Answer from dell support:

“Your order is in production, unfortunately your order had to be placed on hold due to a part shortage that we are experiencing. “

Ohh no no nooo

Hhmm, given that people have ordered after you, I wouldn't expect there to be much of a delay. I ordered on the same day and I've just had an email saying there's a revised delivery date of the 14th December, I suspect you'll get the same soon too.

Hhmm, given that people have ordered after you, I wouldn't expect there to be much of a delay. I ordered on the same day and I've just had an email saying there's a revised delivery date of the 14th December, I suspect you'll get the same soon too.
Yap just got the email too.
14th of dec

“Your order is in production, unfortunately your order had to be placed on hold due to a part shortage that we are experiencing. “

Ohh no no nooo
Look at the order history instead
Mine says "In production" We are working on your order and it is still on track to meet the communicated delivery date. That is shipping on the 14th. Doesn't mention anything about shortages.

Last edited:
I feel the odd one out here, for me it's replacing the even more expensive AW3821DW that's less than two years old.

The AW3423WF has a much better picture though and importantly it has a lower resolution. I have always somewhat regretted buying the AW3821DW, it's really difficult to drive those extra pixels unless you are prepared to spend what is now unreasonable amounts on a GPU.

Same as me - the 38" was lovely for work, but the local dimming wasn't great and like you say, the performance hit was quite significant.

I missed the extra couple of inches at first (ooh matron!), but no longer notice it, and the PQ is a massive improvement, not to mention the extra FPS :)

I do still occasionally wish I could put 2x 1080p windows side by side when I'm working, but it really is a minor thing

Hi everyone, Are the AW models better than Samsung's own version? Appreciate it's the same panel.
(Sorry if this has been discussed earlier in the thread)
I'll be purchasing one in the new year, hopefully it may be reduced in the sales. As there is more to the Samsung version than dell's offering it suits my use better..

Ohh no no nooo
That’s a relatively standard response from them, best to ignore it. If it’s in production it normally gets shipped within a few days.

In other news, Dell support emails are so flipping long winded.

Tells me fan noise is expected (even though my complaint was it’s clicking), and the first fix they suggest is lowering the brightness. Zzzz.

Dragon quest Builders 2, first game that doesn't support ultra wide I've come across. There is a patch but it won't work with the game pass version because it's weird.
I would not personally pay for PC game pass by itself because it's too restrictive.

In other news, Dell support emails are so flipping long winded.

Tells me fan noise is expected (even though my complaint was it’s clicking), and the first fix they suggest is lowering the brightness. Zzzz.
Amazes me that they don't put seriously good fans in these things. The entire fate of a £1000 monitor hangs on the performance of a 65p fan.
But, anyway, that's lowest level support for you, they assume you are as stupid as they are....

Looks like the DWF Freesync models has issues with AMD graphics cards, be warned

Issues like:

* Monitor works in adaptive sync mode only, so HDR can't be used
* Tone Mapping feature doesn't work
* Games have screen tearing

At least Nvidia Gsync is good for one thing, monitors are validated before going out, doesn't look like AMD tested this one

Last edited:
Seems Jenson was right "it just works" :p

Even though I'm not a big fan of the gsync module especially when freesync premium/pro came about and most of the time, it does very well, but does seem like the gsync module has better QC (among a few other advantages as attested to by tftcentral) than amds/vesa standard.

Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom