World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Well that was close. Just had a delivery notification and there was no-one to be seen - delivered to the front door of the student halls next to me :O Thankfully I know the guy in charge but that was very nearly a very sad Christmas for me! Just need to leave it alone until the end of the work day now...

Edit: @Protobyte I would also be very interested to know how you secured such a good deal getting it for £750 if you would be able to divulge such secrets!
I had a 23% discount code I received through the Dell Advantage scheme back in April 2022 which I was fortunate enough to be able to apply. This got it down to £715. I added a laptop case for around £25 and a wifi dongle for around £10 to get it up to £750 for the Amex cashback.

Ahhh gotcha, I saw you mentioned a code but wasn't sure if it was a shareable scenario. Worth a punt to ask :D Bagged yourself a great saving there!

With DWF, is not having 10bit colour at high refresh rates not an issue?

No.
The issue is bandwidth. The communication between the GPU and the monitor hits it's limit with the DWF which means you can't use 10bit. But video cards have a clever workaround - they effectively use alternate frames to transfer the data so you get a picture that is full 10bit even though you are only communicating with 8bit. It's not idea for content creators but they don't use a high refresh rate. For gamers the end result is indistinguishable from 10bit.

Last edited:
Mine has shipped too, estimated delivery tomorrow! I’m a little worried after reading about the reported issues above with Freesync and HDR with Radeon cards though. I presently have a 3080, but would not want to rule out a Radeon card in the future (especially with current NVIDIA crazy prices). HDR is one of the features I want the most.

Also, if for any reason you are not happy, can it be returned within a cooling off period once opened?

Anyhow! Looking forward to it and hoping that all will be brilliant!

Hopefully any issues can at least be sorted out with a firmware update.

Well it has arrived in super quick time. Ordered tues afternoon and arrives thurs afternoon. Time to plug it in.

Wow! Are there any generic discount codes that can be used on the site? If so, tempted to refuse delivery and re-order.

Last edited:
Mine just arrived woooo! :) That was fast. Ordered Tuesday, late morning.
Mine has shipped too, estimated delivery tomorrow! I’m a little worried after reading about the reported issues above with Freesync and HDR with Radeon cards though. I presently have a 3080, but would not want to rule out a Radeon card in the future (especially with current NVIDIA crazy prices). HDR is one of the features I want the most.

Also, if for any reason you are not happy, can it be returned within a cooling off period once opened?

Anyhow! Looking forward to it and hoping that all will be brilliant!
Yes, you can return it for any reason within 14 days of receiving it. I'm a bit worried too. I'm praying I dont notice the fan too much, or notice the sub pixel layout. My senses are very sensitive xD Will have a play with it at the weekend. Please eyes and ears accept this one fgs!

All you guys getting it for £700 odd. Very cool. I'm envious :p

Mine arrived and is running as I type.

Everything is fine!

Wow the colours on this and the contrast put the AW3821DW to shame.

One thing I have noticed, and perhaps this is an issue with Freesync(?), is that games no longer switch the refresh rate to the optimal for that game. Does that make sense? With my G-Sync monitor if I have the refresh rate set to 90Hz in the game settings then the monitor would automatically switch to 100Hz. With this monitor it doesn't do that. You have to ensure you are switched to 100Hz before you enter the game. Is that normal? It's no big deal but I am curious.

In passing, I am also confused about the settings in games. They often give a NITS setting in the game calibration, but this is often way out. Calibrating each game seems a bit hit and miss. I am not sure that everything needs this much calibration!!

Gah! Even the colours in Windows are lovely. I thought the AW38 was good but this is jaw dropping.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom