World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Mine arrived and is running as I type.

Everything is fine!

Wow the colours on this and the contrast put the AW3821DW to shame.

One thing I have noticed, and perhaps this is an issue with Freesync(?), is that games no longer switch the refresh rate to the optimal for that game. Does that make sense? With my G-Sync monitor if I have the refresh rate set to 90Hz in the game settings then the monitor would automatically switch to 100Hz. With this monitor it doesn't do that. You have to ensure you are switched to 100Hz before you enter the game. Is that normal? It's no big deal but I am curious.

In passing, I am also confused about the settings in games. They often give a NITS setting in the game calibration, but this is often way out. Calibrating each game seems a bit hit and miss. I am not sure that everything needs this much calibration!!

Gah! Even the colours in Windows are lovely. I thought the AW38 was good but this is jaw dropping.
Gz Spellow! Glad you love it. Bodes well for me :) Excited to experience OLED. Are you AMD or Nvidia?

Any recommendations on a decent DisplayPort cable or should the one that comes with it be good enough?

the ones in the box was too short me had to get a new cable as the one i used with previous monitors was cuasing dropouts. the ****on basics branded 5m one from the jungle is working fine for me fair bit chunkier than my old cable as well

Last edited:
If I don’t see a 4K version of this monitor out by summer time I might look to pick another one up when on offer with an AMEX deal. I get a fresh 3 year warranty again and latest firmware and can flog my one for the same price a few eeeks after once either out of stock or the deal is gone :cry:

OK got mine plugged in and it looks lovely. I did the UFO test and my old eyes add in their own special blur feature, if I track the UFOs then it is perfection but I self blur. I do see massive cursor trails if I move it fast , is that to be expected or do I have a setting wrong?

I have turned the refresh rate to 165hz and turned on HDR. What I now need is an idiots guide on what to check or change, can anyone help me find one.

OK got mine plugged in and it looks lovely. I did the UFO test and my old eyes add in their own special blur feature, if I track the UFOs then it is perfection but I self blur. I do see massive cursor trails if I move it fast , is that to be expected or do I have a setting wrong?

I have turned the refresh rate to 165hz and turned on HDR. What I now need is an idiots guide on what to check or change, can anyone help me find one.

mrk has posted a guide multiple times in this thread, do a search :)

The Freesync version offers a lot more features though?

I would have to watch the video again, but the first time I did I came away with the conclusion the g-sync one was better for my needs. Only thing that I recall liking more on the freesync version was being able to update firmware yourself.

What other features are there that you would use? There were a few downsides that were bigger than such features was what I came away with. I mean had it not have no fans that would have been a good one, but it still has a fan, just one less.

@mrk and @Nexus18 would you prefer the free sync version?

I have no desire for the smart TV style features so that would be me not too bothered by the Freesync version. Also the quality assured nature of gsync means I know the non F version would work at all times with VRR etc whereas it does seem a small lotto with Freesync.

If there's a new firmware issue with this, then I'll just find a reason to get Dell to swap it out under the warranty each time.

I have no desire for the smart TV style features so that would be me not too bothered by the Freesync version. Also the quality assured nature of gsync means I know the non F version would work at all times with VRR etc whereas it does seem a small lotto with Freesync.

If there's a new firmware issue with this, then I'll just find a reason to get Dell to swap it out under the warranty each time.

That’s my thoughts too. Wonder what features he is talking about.

Does anyone know if the AMD issues could be resolved with the new 7900 series?
Wouldn't any issues with this monitor and AMD cards be resolved with drivers/firmware updates? I'd like to know as if I keep this monitor I will need to upgrade my beloved Strix 1080Ti, and I'm currently looking at AMD cards. Thinking about the powercolor 6800xt. I should probably hold off until the 7000 series launches, but I doubt I could afford one anyway. $999 will probably mean £1200+.

I would have to watch the video again, but the first time I did I came away with the conclusion the g-sync one was better for my needs. Only thing that I recall liking more on the freesync version was being able to update firmware yourself.

What other features are there that you would use? There were a few downsides that were bigger than such features was what I came away with. I mean had it not have no fans that would have been a good one, but it still has a fan, just one less.

@mrk and @Nexus18 would you prefer the free sync version?

For this particular monitor based on the reports of flickering and HDR not being as accurate/good on the freesync version, I would take the gsync version. Being able to update the firmware yourself is a nice bonus but then again I haven't had any issues on my current one running the first firmware.... No issues with fan noise on my gsync one either but as always, this seems to be hit and miss, even people reporting the fan noise with the freesync version can be problematic.

Reactions: TNA
Gz Spellow! Glad you love it. Bodes well for me :) Excited to experience OLED. Are you AMD or Nvidia?

NVIDIA.

I also noticed that the Source Tone Map is disabled in mine too. Not sure why this would be. There must be a simple answer. Anyway, I am not really concerned about that, only that that Linus clearly showed that it was enabled on his monitor.

There isn't a 120Hz mode. This seems to be a user configured thing, although, again, I'm sure there is any point. I might ask a seperate question on the forum as to how to set that up. Although 120Hz is the highest 10bit it will do, I really can't see any difference with the inter-frame dithering or whatever it is called.

Dell Display Manager. It does have some useful settings and tools, so I think it is worth installing at first and then if you don't find anything in there you really want, disabling it's auto-start. My only gripe with it is that while it contains most of the settings it doesn't contain them all.

Yes, this is a really good monitor! To my mind, it's only weakness is the colour fringing around small text, but I didn't buy this monitor for business work and even so you get used to it pretty quick.

Oh, one other point, the monitor arrives with the very latest firmware so you don't need to update it.

I can see I am going to have a problem with this monitor though. I kept the AW38 for general work, but honestly this one is so good to look at I can't tear myself away from it! I might sell the AW38. Oh, and, also, I had to re-calibrate the AW38, the colours are horrifically out compared to the AW34.

Last edited:
Have a slight issue with my DWF and curious if anyone else has it?

I can hear a very high pitch whine after few hours of use. Seems others have had it on Reddit.

For this particular monitor based on the reports of flickering and HDR not being as accurate/good on the freesync version, I would take the gsync version. Being able to update the firmware yourself is a nice bonus but then again I haven't had any issues on my current one running the first firmware.... No issues with fan noise on my gsync one either but as always, this seems to be hit and miss, even people reporting the fan noise with the freesync version can be problematic.

Exactly. Had the Freesync one work exactly like the g-sync but with one less fan and firmware upgrade plus cheaper then it would be a no brainer. But that is not the case.

Have a slight issue with my DWF and curious if anyone else has it?

I can hear a very high pitch whine after few hours of use. Seems others have had it on Reddit.

This is probably just the electronics lottery. The power supply for both monitors is built in to the monitor, so it's probably that. I have a TV that does that. You may find that it changes tone or gets louder when the monitor tries to display brighter screens. Whether you replace it is up to you. Personally I never use mine unless there is background noise so it wouldn't worry me too much.

Back
Top Bottom