World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

For those that currently use ultrawides, is watching video content hassle-free? I don't own a tv and watch everything on my monitor. Do streaming services switch to 21:9 for movies automatically? And will I notice any significant difference coming from a 32" 16:9 monitor.
Well it’s fine for me as I really have no problems watching movies on my current ultra-wide.

For those that currently use ultrawides, is watching video content hassle-free? I don't own a tv and watch everything on my monitor. Do streaming services switch to 21:9 for movies automatically? And will I notice any significant difference coming from a 32" 16:9 monitor.

As mentioned it's really easy to fill the 21:9 where desired. I use Firefox so have an extension that allows you to map keyboard shortcuts that flicks between aspect ratio scaling for any media played through the browser inc Prime Video, Netflix etc.

Quick demo:

It is necessary because not all content creators including official first parties like movie studios, upload cinematic trailers and videos in native aspect ratio, they upload letterboxed 16:9 for 21:9 content which makes no sense whatsoever because a 16:9 display will scale with letterboxes anyway, whereas a 21:9 display will scale the 16:9 so you end up with 21:9 content that sits in a small wide view in the middle of the screen. It is laziness on their part really as they should be cropping to the video frame only when cutting and exporting the media for upload. The extensions work around their laziness.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1HS4y1S7nP

xzjKfH2RNLvQsPD.jpg

I have a screensaver enabled on my PC whereby after 15 mins of no activity a black screen will show. I came back to the desk earlier and stood there as I walked in the door thiking "Can't wait until that's actually pure black in a few weeks" :p

desktop-IPS.jpg

That's with the LUT calibrated brightness too at 90cd/m2 (the calibration auto sets and locks brightness and contrast to 17 and 70 respectively)

And this is exactly why oled is superior to lcd for motion:

euEqwuS.png
I don't like that test image, presumably provided from one of the early Chinese reviews of something, it's misleading? While i agree that an OLED can provide better motion clarity than an LCD, they've not captured the real world performance there, certainly not of the LCD. The UFO test pattern they've used is not the one designed for pursuit camera testing for a start and does not include the guidance lines designed by Blurbusters to make capturing these photos accurate. The test really designed for pursuit camera photos is the one with the different coloured green backgrounds here. This is assuming what they were attempting to capture is perceived real life motion clarity and blurring levels.

You can tell from the image that it's not capturing it properly, as you don't get the ghost images like that in a proper pursuit camera test photo, it would instead look blurred rather than having ghost images. There’s a good example of a proper pursuit camera photo from a 170Hz IPS panel from the review of the AOC AGON Pro AG274QXM. That's how a real pursuit camera photo should work and is a proper representation of perceived motion clarity.

Last edited:
I don't like that test image, presumably provided from one of the early Chinese reviews of something, it's misleading? While i agree that an OLED can provide better motion clarity than an LCD, they've not captured the real world performance there, certainly not of the LCD. The UFO test pattern they've used is not the one designed for pursuit camera testing for a start and does not include the guidance lines designed by Blurbusters to make capturing these photos accurate. The test really designed for pursuit camera photos is the one with the different coloured green backgrounds here. This is assuming what they were attempting to capture is perceived real life motion clarity and blurring levels.

You can tell from the image that it's not capturing it properly, as you don't get the ghost images like that in a proper pursuit camera test photo, it would instead look blurred rather than having ghost images. Here's a good example of a proper pursuit camera photo from a 170Hz IPS panel from the AOC AGON Pro AG274QXM. That's how a real pursuit camera photo should work and is a proper representation of perceived motion clarity.

Yup I agree it's not a great "test" but it pretty much sums up what I experience with my oled and ips, motion just looks so much more "clear/defined" than the ips. The downside is that stuttering is more perceivable though.

Linus also has a video somewhat showing the difference between oled and lcd too:

https://youtu.be/x9n8Hz_RLqw?t=258

BTW your link to your example isn't working, getting access denied.

How does HDR media behave on an OLED monitor btw? Is it the same as on phones where when you play say for example a HDR youtube video the screen brightness is locked automatically and the HDR processing does the rest?

How does HDR media behave on an OLED monitor btw? Is it the same as on phones where when you play say for example a HDR youtube video the screen brightness is locked automatically and the HDR processing does the rest?
Yes, its more or less like that for all displays. Once you are in HDR mode, you cannot adjust brightness in OSD.

AH I had not actually checked this on the Huawei as it's on the other PC but yeah makes sense!

Anyone have any leaks in terms of the amount of stock available? I have a pretty serious FOMO that I will miss out on 22nd :D

Yup I agree it's not a great "test" but it pretty much sums up what I experience with my oled and ips, motion just looks so much more "clear/defined" than the ips. The downside is that stuttering is more perceivable though.

Linus also has a video somewhat showing the difference between oled and lcd too:

https://youtu.be/x9n8Hz_RLqw?t=258

BTW your link to your example isn't working, getting access denied.
Ah yes that’s hotlink protected. Access the image in the review I linked, in the gaming section

This shouldn't even be an issue to begin with, so basically all screens show stutter, why? No chance i want an OLED to see it worse.

It's more down to lcds imperfections masking issues, I find it most noticeable with watching films/tv shows between the 2 since the fps is low already i.e. 24fps, there are ways to remove stutter in these scenarios, the best way being to use madvrs smooth motion feature but then obviously you get what is like motion blur to blend the frames. Same way with oled, you need to be feeding it perfect content to get the very best from it as it will show up issues a lot more than lcd displays in my experience i.e. lcd masks most/all faults present in the source material better than oled such as grain, noise, banding.

In terms of stutter, there is none if locked to 60 fps or higher though.

It's more down to lcds imperfections masking issues, I find it most noticeable with watching films/tv shows between the 2 since the fps is low already i.e. 24fps, there are ways to remove stutter in these scenarios, the best way being to use madvrs smooth motion feature but then obviously you get what is like motion blur to blend the frames. Same way with oled, you need to be feeding it perfect content to get the very best from it as it will show up issues a lot more than lcd displays in my experience i.e. lcd masks most/all faults present in the source material better than oled such as grain, noise, banding.

In terms of stutter, there is none if locked to 60 fps or higher though.
I totally disagree, from my experience OLED handles visual imperfections like noise and banding much better than LCD - it behaves more like a plasma. Also lower res content looks better on OLED than on LCD.

I totally disagree, from my experience OLED handles visual imperfections like noise and banding much better than LCD - it behaves more like a plasma. Also lower res content looks better on OLED than on LCD.
Yea, I keep hearing this. That together with mor sharpening tech we have available now will hopefully make moving from 4K to 1440p with this monitor viable for me.

Back
Top Bottom