World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Yeah, I think it was one of the customer revirews on the samsung page that made the claim that they messaged Samsung first about if there was Burnin Warranty and they confirmed it does before they splashed out on it. Obviously of course that's just one instance of such a claim, so it could be wrong, or just someone trolling others. But I remember reading that there.

Looked again and it has no special warranty, when you click the link from product page it just mentions the standard 2 year warranty they all have.

Looked again and it has no special warranty, when you click the link from product page it just mentions the standard 2 year warranty they all have.
Yeah I just went to look at the reviewers now as well, it's no longer there. I know I read it in a review comment somewhere, but if there's not official note on the burnin warranty, probably just take it that person got it wrong (or the CS agent got it wrong) than waste this amount of money and regretting it after.

Last edited:
HDR is absurd on this monitor in game, good lord

I have HDR on an LCD monitor and at first that was impressive, the colours really pop, but it soon became irritating because the contrast while using HDR was terrible. But the AW34 is spectacular. I need more HDR games now! Games can be a little quirky in HDR but so far I have managed to get all the ones I have working just fine.

HDR is only as good as the game developer's implementation of it sadly, not all games have good HDR, if done right then it is AAA, otherwise it's annoying and I prefer to have it off than on. Res Evil 2 remake for example is one such game where it's just bad. Res Evil Village and 3 Remake however were great.

I think it is, but you with no VESA mount you are restricted to using the supplied stand

Really? I don't really like the stand either. The monitor looks snazzy but the stand looks out of place.

I have had Alienware and Samsung before, I would trust either, but the lack of warranty for the Samsung will worry a lot of people. I think Alienware have this in the bag.

Last edited:
I have an interesting setup for the AW3423DWF.
My old monitor is the AW3821DW so I didn't want to throw it away. In the end (mostly to see if it could be done) I arranged a desk in the shape of an L and placed a monitor on each. I can just swivel the chair and I am facing a monitor! Then plugged in a keyboard and mouse in to each monitors hub. What I have now is two workstations if you like, one is for business, the other is for games. I organised a power switch for each monitor on the desks ( and this is essential or it doesn't work ). All I have to do is switch off the monitor I am not using and the hub dies with it, and so does the appropriate keyboard and mouse. Amazingly Windows 11 deals with this perfectly well as long as you are using DP and not HDMI. Just switch off the one you aren't using and it automatically adjusts everything on the screen for the one you switch on! You don't have to re-login in Windows. You can also set windows up for dual monitors so that it knows what to do if you leave both on!
Now I get the best of both worlds. I get the amazing AW3423DWF for gaming and the AW3821DW for business! I don't know whether I will keep it like this but so far I haven't found any negatives.

Last edited:
So from what i've read so far the F variant is Freesync and 10mhz less than the OG model? Anything else?

There are a number of differences.

The major differences is that the F has one less fan, owing to the fact that it doesn't have a G_Sync module. Also, for the same reason, the firmware on the F can be updated.

There is also the worry that the F can not use 10-bit data during transfers for anything above 100Hz ( you can manually configure it for 120Hz but not for 165Hz) but graphics cards have long had a way round this and happily manage to dither by transferring data over two frames. The end result is that in gaming 10-bit and 8-bit data transfers are indistinguishable, so it's not really a very valid worry.

One of the biggest concerns with the F at the moment is that it doesn't seem to work so well with some AMD GPU's whereas there are no reported problems using AMD with the G-Sync version. In fairness to the F, though, it's early days, and even if there is a problem then it may be resolved with a Firmware update.

The F also has additional features, you are best just looking those up to see if there is anything in particular you need.

For me, the only downfall of the monitors is that on darker backgrounds the colour fringing is very noticeable (on both monitors). It's not a problem in games though.

Last edited:
There are a number of differences.

The major differences is that the F has one less fan, owing to the fact that it doesn't have a G_Sync module. Also, for the same reason, the firmware on the F can be updated.

There is also the worry that the F can not use 10-bit data during transfers for anything above 100Hz ( you can manually configure it for 120Hz but not for 165Hz) but graphics cards have long had a way round this and happily manage to dither by transferring data over two frames. The end result is that in gaming 10-bit and 8-bit data transfers are indistinguishable, so it's not really a very valid worry.

One of the biggest concerns with the F at the moment is that it doesn't seem to work so well with some AMD GPU's whereas there are no reported problems using AMD with the G-Sync version. In fairness to the F, though, it's early days, and even if there is a problem then it may be resolved with a Firmware update.

The F also has additional features, you are best just looking those up to see if there is anything in particular you need.

For me, the only downfall of the monitors is that on darker backgrounds the colour fringing is very noticeable (on both monitors). It's not a problem in games though.
On the LTT comparison they display HDR quite differently too.

Last edited:
On the LTT comparison they display HDR quote differently too.
The Tone Mapping is that? I am not sure about that. There seem to be a number of different maps in the F, none of which are documented anywhere. I am not sure if this is just the latest firmware, a misunderstanding or what. I guess we really need a decent review of that. That's why I think that people who are undecided would do better waiting a while...

Have read a few reports on Reddit about a coilwhine type noise on the F too.

In my humble opinion that's likely to be the PSU lottery. They both have power suppliers built in so some of them are liable to make noise. I must say I have never had an issue with an alienware monitor but just one experience means very little of course.

I can hear a whiff of coil whine on my DW sometimes, it depends on how my head is angled but my hearing is super sensitive anyway and I can heat phone charger bricks etc too so over the years have trained my brain to just ignore them. It depends on the current power state of the monitor and the fan speed which will dictate how the PSU inside is working and its resonant frequency which may or may not be audible to some people. That frequency may change over time as ears age.

Back
Top Bottom