World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Except it's not £929 right now (£1099) :)

Oh, sorry, yes, I wasn't paying attention.

Why would you want the G-Sync version?

The G-Sync in the black Friday sale was down to, I think, about £950. With coupons and so on it was possible to get it less than the Freesync version.

This code gives you £40 off. I am sure there are better ones. VOUCHERBOX4MON

Last edited:
Oh, sorry, yes, I wasn't paying attention.

Why would you want the G-Sync version?

The G-Sync in the black Friday sale was down to, I think, about £950. With coupons and so on it was possible to get it less than the Freesync version.

This code gives you £40 off. I am sure there are better ones. VOUCHERBOX4MON

Thanks! Quite honestly I’m not sure. I have an NVIDIA card but it seems like G-Sync doesn’t matter much these days. I know in one of ether reviews there was talk about the refresh rate being different, and maybe the colour gamut? I can’t remember.

I think the thing that worries me is the PPI. When I switch back to my 27” 1440p monitor from the 32” 4K, there is a massive difference in clarity for desktop/productivity usage, and this monitor has the same PPI as a 27” 1440p.

Last edited:
Thanks! Quite honestly I’m not sure. I have an NVIDIA card but it seems like G-Sync doesn’t matter much these days. I know in one of ether reviews there was talk about the refresh rate being different, and maybe the colour gamut? I can’t remember.

I think the thing that worries me is the PPI. When I switch back to my 27” 1440p monitor from the 32” 4K, there is a massive difference in clarity for desktop/productivity usage, and this monitor has the same PPI as a 27” 1440p.

I have NVIDIA and the Freesync monitor and it works just fine.

The refresh rate on the Freesync is a little lower but really only a small amount. Nothing to be concerned about.

With the Freesync you need to be confident that your graphics card can achieve more than 48fps, or the G-Sync would be the better purchase.

There are some teething problems with the various modes on the Freesync version, some of the tone maps are not as accurate as they should be, but the monitor is actually calibrated better than the G-Sync version.

The Freesync version has only one fan, and by all accounts a quieter profile, however some people have complained about coil whine from the Freesync.

Honestly there isn't much between them. I think the Freesync is considered the better monitor but it does have some teething issues, nothing serious and fortunately Dell can sort these out with a future firmware update - which they can't do with the G-Sync version because you can't update the firmware in that monitor.

As for the clarity, yes, this is not the best monitor for clarity. Firstly, as you say, it's PPI is the same as a 2560x1440 27" monitor but also the pixel layout is non standard, so software is not taking care of the colour fringing you get on all monitors. This is especially noticeable in Windows Dark Mode. It is not a monitor that I would recommend for business use if you like to use Dark Mode. My old monitor with the same PPI actually looks a lot clearer and I keep that for general browsing and so on. Microsoft may well sort this out in future but as for now I am afraid that there is no perfect solution to the problem.

Last edited:
"Please be advised that the Dell part you have recently ordered is currently out of stock"

I thought the stock issues were sorted with these, but putting my postcode in shows delivery date of 17th March.

Wonder if it's worth asking if they'd swap for the F version...

Last edited:

Thanks very much :) I think I'll have to avoid this one because it sounds like it's not going to do a good job of being a productivity monitor, which is 80-90% of my usage. I'm trying to downsize from 2 monitors to 1 that does everything very well. Something like the LG 32GQ950 is probably the better choice, but I was looking forward to something that does HDR properly.

Thanks very much :) I think I'll have to avoid this one because it sounds like it's not going to do a good job of being a productivity monitor, which is 80-90% of my usage. I'm trying to downsize from 2 monitors to 1 that does everything very well. Something like the LG 32GQ950 is probably the better choice, but I was looking forward to something that does HDR properly.

Does sound better for you.

They will eventually sort the pixel issue with qd-oleds and I am sure when they do that then they will be considered the best multi-purpose monitors you can buy. But until that day there is no doubt they are better for gaming.

Last edited:
4K is far better for single monitor giving some actual vertical screen real estate.
Though unless LG has decreased price, that LG is clearly overpriced for edge illuminated model.
Unfortunately 32" is grossly neglected size.

And even CES was more dead than usual for high end monitors.
(Acer playing dead for X32 FP announced in last year CES and Asus PG32UGXR might not exist at all outside that marketing)

Coolermaster Tempest GP27U is pretty much only actually available high end monitor.

They will eventually sort the pixel issue with qd-oleds and I am sure when they do that then they will be considered the best multi-purpose monitors you can buy.
Well, best description for the situation seem Finnish idiom:
Toivossa on hyvä elää, sanoi lapamato.

Which pretty much translates "It's good to live in Hope, said tapeworm".
Besides being Finnish word for "hope", Toivo is also name... :p

4K is far better for single monitor giving some actual vertical screen real estate.
Though unless LG has decreased price, that LG is clearly overpriced for edge illuminated model.
Unfortunately 32" is grossly neglected size.

And even CES was more dead than usual for high end monitors.
(Acer playing dead for X32 FP announced in last year CES and Asus PG32UGXR might not exist at all outside that marketing)

Coolermaster Tempest GP27U is pretty much only actually available high end monitor.

Well, best description for the situation seem Finnish idiom:
Toivossa on hyvä elää, sanoi lapamato.

Which pretty much translates "It's good to live in Hope, said tapeworm".
Besides being Finnish word for "hope", Toivo is also name... :p
Sounds like the kinda idioms Fins come up with during Kalsarikannit :P

Quick comparison with the 240hz LG woled monitor, watch in HDR if you can

The QD-oled is visibly brighter and has greater color volume and saturation

Last edited:
Quick comparison with the 240hz LG woled monitor, watch in HDR if you can

The QD-oled is visibly brighter and has greater color volume and saturation

Would be interested if it was 4K. It is big standard 1440p and not even ultrawide. Meh.

I stopped getting excited when I see a new QD O LED is being announced because it always seems to be bloody 1440p/ultra wide.

Somebody please nudge me when there is an OLED 4K monitor above 32 in wide screen that doesn't cost 5,000 quid and isn't a TV.

Got a new annoying issue, whenever I play a video in steam I get the message pop-up 'DP INPUT' then it shows again once the video is finished.

Last edited:
Doesn't that only happen when it switched between SDR and HDR..? If so that's to be expected

system shouldnt be switching between them though if its a windows pc as HDR isnt dynamic on windows and must be toggled on/off by the user

But I have my own issue with this monitor and will need to do an RMA.

About 50% of the time when I enabled/disable HDR, the screen will go blank - when it does this it looks like the monitor isn't getting a signal however the monitor stays on and never goes into standby and never comes up with the "no signal" message.
When it does this, neither the joystick button nor the power button does anything, its like the monitor has totally frozen up. Only solution I've found is to pull powerfrom the wall for 20 seconds to cycle the capacitors and then the monitor reboots when I plug it in again.

Unfortunately this doesn't only happen with HDR, it also occurs 50% of the time that I try waking the PC from sleep.

I've tried using different DP cables and two HDMI cables, it makes no difference, I've tried disconnecting my second monitor from the GPU, makes no difference, plug alienware into iGPU port, makes no difference.

This issue only started occurring recently after the monitor did it's first panel refresh that happens after 1500 hours of use.

I'm not alone, there is pages of people complaining of the same issue on the Alienware forums

Last edited:
system shouldnt be switching between them though if its a windows pc as HDR isnt dynamic on windows and must be toggled on/off by the user

But I have my own issue with this monitor and will need to do an RMA.

About 50% of the time when I enabled/disable HDR, the screen will go blank - when it does this it looks like the monitor isn't getting a signal however the monitor stays on and never goes into standby and never comes up with the "no signal" message.
When it does this, neither the joystick button nor the power button does anything, its like the monitor has totally frozen up. Only solution I've found is to pull powerfrom the wall for 20 seconds to cycle the capacitors and then the monitor reboots when I plug it in again.

Unfortunately this doesn't only happen with HDR, it also occurs 50% of the time that I try waking the PC from sleep.

I've tried using different DP cables and two HDMI cables, it makes no difference, I've tried disconnecting my second monitor from the GPU, makes no difference, plug alienware into iGPU port, makes no difference.

This issue only started occurring recently after the monitor did it's first panel refresh that happens after 1500 hours of use.

I'm not alone, there is pages of people complaining of the same issue on the Alienware forums

The only time I have seen this is when game are in Fullscreen mode rather than Fullscreen Window. Fullscreen mode is very dodgy. Tabbing out of an HDR game, it can, and often does, end in a black screen. I now run all games in Fullscreen Window. I am not at all sure but I think this is ether Windows or the applications that are to blame. AutoActions doesn't seem to suffer the same issue, in that it happily switches with no problem at all.

Back
Top Bottom