World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

They do sometimes forget to pick them up ;)

One day they'll bill me probably!

My plan was to just let them know and say they have until X date (reasonable time away) to arrange collection or I'll dispose of myself.

Don't really have any use for 2 of them just me here :)

From what I read online it can cause warranty issues if I put a new claim in on new screen due to a fault but old one hasn't been returned.

One day they'll bill me probably!

My plan was to just let them know and say they have until X date (reasonable time away) to arrange collection or I'll dispose of myself.

Don't really have any use for 2 of them just me here :)

From what I read online it can cause warranty issues if I put a new claim in on new screen due to a fault but old one hasn't been returned.

Yeah, not sure what's their policies these days. So can't really comment on that.

When I had one swapped out, they explained that the new one wouldn't have warranty until they received the old one back. The warranty would be transferred to the replacement, once the return arrived back with them. For pick up, I emailed Dell a couple of times without reply to find out a pick up date. Someone randomly turned up about 4 weeks after delivery of the replacement. Luckily it was already boxed up and I didnt need to do anything else.

When I had one swapped out, they explained that the new one wouldn't have warranty until they received the old one back. The warranty would be transferred to the replacement, once the return arrived back with them. For pick up, I emailed Dell a couple of times without reply to find out a pick up date. Someone randomly turned up about 4 weeks after delivery of the replacement. Luckily it was already boxed up and I didnt need to do anything else.

I checked my email chains with them and the email I had about the replacement was this:

Dear Customer,

We have processed the request for the Dell replacement system and it will be the exact same specification as the original order. The estimated date of delivery is 13/09/2022 and the old system would be collected on 08/06/2022 and can be delayed. Please keep the old system boxed up and mention the reference number (REDACTED) on it.

Please note the remaining warranty from your original system will be transferred to your new tag. This is an automated process which we are unable to change. I trust this is to your satisfaction, please do not hesitate to reply with any queries or questions regarding the order.

There was a delay on the new one, so I replied and said can't pick up old until new one has arrive. New one arrived reasonably near to September last year.

They've not mentioned anything about only transferring warranty when old one is returned, not that I'd attempt to argue that fact with them, but just mentioning it as it's odd they haven't really gone into any details with regards to the old one needing to be collected except for the above email.

I received the same email and also had issues with delays with the replacement. However I was also in correspondence with someone who explained in more detail about warranty transfer.
Dell can be very slow at times. I didn't get charged for my original AW until November, 6 months after delivery :D Even contacted them to let them know, and was assured I didn't owe anything. Then one day in November, they contact me about an admin error and they need me to pay for the monitor .D

I received the same email and also had issues with delays with the replacement. However I was also in correspondence with someone who explained in more detail about warranty transfer.
Dell can be very slow at times. I didn't get charged for my original AW until November, 6 months after delivery :D Even contacted them to let them know, and was assured I didn't owe anything. Then one day in November, they contact me about an admin error and they need me to pay for the monitor .D

That's kind of what I'm thinking may happen here haha.

I've ignored it a bit tbh as other stuff been going on, it's not been a high priority, and I still have it :)

Yeah, the warranty transfer thing is a bit strange. When I reported my recent fault here, they initially said it wasn't under warranty, until I pointed out it came with a 3 year warranty and was only released less than a year ago. They then checked, and apparently the warranty had been transferred to the replacement I had in August, even though I rejected it due to a dead pixel. They sorted it out now, but definitely something to be aware of.

My replacement has just arrived - not had a chance to check it over yet, but hopefully will be OK - however, does anyone know what kind of testing Dell will do on the original? Concerned that as the line has disappeared for now they're going to kick up a fuss about it!

So instead of getting the LG Oled Flex, I managed to pick up a LG C2 new for 599 after discount codes. Massive saving over the FLEX, But will use saving to buy SVS speaker setup.

Side by side I prefer the LG C2 over the dell qd-oled by some margin. When the LG C3 42 inch is released I will buy one and give this LG C2 to my sister.

No image burn warranty with the though. If you get image burn you are left with a lemon. At least with the Alienware you can take a page out of mrk's book. Is it getting to dusty and you can't be asked to clean it? Ask for a replacement :cry:

"
We have been made aware by a lot of customers having different results and experiences with the Dell Alienware AW3423DW and the AW3423DWF we decided to do a further investigation of multiple issues which have been raised, which include HDR-Tone-Mapping, HDR-Brightness and HDR-clipping.

The latest windows updates, monitor and GPU drivers were installed and both systems have been rebooted in order to make sure that the display properties would be applied.

After Setup of the AW3423DWF on an NVIDIA GPU we could immediately see a strange greyish colour/tone map shift. We also tested this on AMD GPUs and this behaviour was limited only to NVIDIA GPUs. Activating “Console Mode” and set the Source tone mapping to “ON” in the Monitor OSD-Menus removed the washed-out colours. (Figure 2)

Documenting the advanced properties of the Monitor showed already different max. peak brightness values delivered by the EDID. AW3423DW 1000-1060 Nits, AW3423DW 465 Nits. (Figure 1)

Windows HDR Calibration showed different clipping values close to the EDID information. In HDR1000 Mode the AW3423DWF started clipping at 450-460 while the AW3423DW reached a peak of 960-980 In HDR400 the AW3423DWF overshot at 450-510, while the AW3423DW reached a peak of 410-420 Nits. Changing the GPUs use did not much difference except for the overshoot in HDR400 with NVIDIA and the AW3423DWF. (Figure 3, Figure 4, Figure 5)

Brightness measurement with a photometer yielded an average brightness difference of 7,4% in the limited window testing. This was surprising, because after comparing the achieved values. It should be noted that our results are similar to the RTINGS1 measurement, however we did not test the “Real Scene” scenario, due to the lack of a standardized scene for the maximum luminance of the monitor when displaying a bright highlight in an HDR scene. And it should be noted that the “Real Scene” bears a quite large difference with 484 cd/m² (DW) to 345 cd/m² (DWF) or - 28,7%. (Figure 7, Figure 8, Figure 9, Figure 10, Figure 11, 3)

Performance in real gaming scenarios was also tested. Calibration also revealed similar behaviour like in the Windows calibration tool. In Modern Warfare 2 we noticed that in bright HDR areas the difference is noticeable but not always immediately. If visible, details are lost, and the area looks slightly washed out. (Figure 12, Figure 13)

Cyberpunk 2077 was completely overblown in high brightness areas by the AW3423DWF with loss of details and objects covered by overblown areas. These results were seen in HDR100 and HDR400, although the latter not as extensive. Changing the GPU did not have much impact on that effect; however, it changed the tone map slightly.

In summary, there are definitely several issues with the actual state of the AW3423DWF. The source tone map option in the menu of the monitor solves the desktop being washed out issue but limits further options in the menu. The tone mapping issues are most likely limited to NVIDIA GPUs and are not as extensive on AMD GPUs. However, the clipping behaviour seems to be tied to the Monitor and does not change much between NVIDIA or AMD graphics cards nor the choice of HDR Mode. It also should be noted that “HDR-Game” should not be used due to heavy artifacting at high brightness. The Peak brightness of the AW3423DWF is significantly lower than the AW3423DW"

Guess it's better for people to buy the non F version at the moment then :eek:
Wonder if Dell will fix the issues with a firmware update, here's hoping they do for the F owners. Everything should be equal with only GSYNC/Non GSYNC and the features that brings to the table being the difference!!

Yeah the free promotion on the 5 year warranty which covers burn in was better than nothing. Shame they don't give 10 years.

These come with 5 year burn in warranty for free now is it? First I heard of it.

So I've setup my Samsung QD-OLED, all is working fine and disabled the pesky TV Plus so it's not on at all and the icon is gone. Have hidden the taskbar and the desktop icons but for the life of me I cannot see what the issue is with the text. It is as clear, if not clearer, as my old VA monitor was, perhaps some are sitting with their noses rubbing the screen?

Yeah the free promotion on the 5 year warranty which covers burn in was better than nothing. Shame they don't give 10 years.

Have you actually looked at the previews of the c3? It's the same panel, with a 'perceivable' brightness increase. This means it carries the same flaws.

@cuke2u funnily enough putting my nose to the screen is the only way I can read some things in dark mode (eyes are fine). In light mode it's more readable but it's not clear by any stretch compared to my non UW.

Last edited:
I'm having what is bordering on the edge of a heated exchange with dell at the moment. One dell monitor I have has a small fault, and they have been making me jump through hoops. I have spent three days exchanging emails where they seem to not trust me that I bought the monitor from new. They keep asking me for more and more information, which is utterly ridiculous becuase I bought the darn monitor directly from dell. They should already have all the information. Not sure what is going on.

@cuke2u funnily enough putting my nose to the screen is the only way I can read some things in dark mode (eyes are fine). In light mode it's more readable but it's not clear by any stretch compared to my non UW.
[/QUOTE]
Hehe, you know you'll get nose burn don't you..

I've had 3 of these screens and currently running 2. When it comes to HDR calibration there is slight max brightness variance. My first 2 screens maxed out around 970nits, the 3rd one 1020nits. Out of curiosity, anyone have one that maxes at 1060nit (the original EDID value)?

Back
Top Bottom